950 / 950xl lacking a proper / entusiastic sell in store

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have been tinkering in the Store (UK) taking advantage of the Band 1 for ?70.00, when I decided to drool over the 950 / XL.

I couldn't find a mention of continuum? There was no fanfare about the 32gig Memory and the ability to use an SD card.....There was no 'bigging up' of the fact the battery is removeable...

I know these are minor points, but in the days of Samsung and Apple 'sealing' their units, probably to ermmm...how do you say it without getting sued.. 'ensure that their devices rarely make it past the 18 month - 2 year cycle' due to batteries starting to fail etc, Microsoft haven't plugged the replaceable power source, which could allow, with proper engineering, a larger capacity battery, and the fact that SD cards are there for back up.

I didn't see anything about continuum, just the line to say plug it into a dock. They do mention the iris scanner though, which is superior to the finger print system, I mean, what happens if you burn you finger and your finger print is damaged? Sounds daft I know, but did they consider that?? Or do you have to go to apple store and buy an add on finger tip??? LOL

Have I been looking in the wrong place????

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
On the fingerprint point, it scans a couple different fingers and you still have pin code access. Just login with the pin and rescan your crisply unique fingerprint.

On the lack of communicative marketing collateral and competitive stance against other flagships, it's much more than just the latter. Microsoft is almost continuing a paper launch mindset well up to the release of the 950 (There STILL is no confirmed release date for the 950XL, despite the language about the dock here in the US). I doubt we are going to see any significant marketing on TV or Internet about these phones. I think part of it is trying to protect from misteps (although I believe this is a misstep) by first gauging true reaction and sales before devoting a marketing campaign that will spur sales past availability (Smart, I bet they haven't even ordered more than million phones WORLDWIDE). So hopefully once they get a half million handsets into the market they can figure out whether consumers and insiders are happy with the build quality of W10M and whether it truly is a daily driver.

Microsoft's inability to make confident assertions about the capabilities of their mobile product lines (no ads for the 640XL other than this weird one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=dvybDZGBtOM) is incising a huge confidence deficiency in even the most diehard of fans (myself included).

If somehow the 950XL comes out in the US on the 20th, I'll be surprised. If they launch an ad campaign during Thanksgiving week, I'll be impressed. And if sites like Windows Central come out with reviews that week I'd be amazed. Daniel still talks about the 950XL like he doesn't have one in his pocket. And the sentiment on so many of the recent articles are a bunch of lollygagging "How to understand Microsofts un-understandable stance on the unreported strategy behind the complex nature of the global phone market" garbage headlines.

Anyways, Microsoft's strategy for getting Windows Phone to 5-10% marketshare is....un...impressive.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I don't think they're trying to improve their market percentage yet. The 950 and 950 xl are phones for MS fans. They know most of us will buy them if we've been waiting for a couple years holding out for a flagship. Why advertise when you'll sell them no matter what? I'm going to guess that in the US these will be produced and sold at about the same numbers as the Band 1. If word of mouth and reviews boost its perception (as what happened for the Band 1), then they'll either increase production (again, like Band 1), or shorten the time frame on the Surface phone. If they don't go anywhere, then they'll wait until next Fall on the Surface phone.

These phones aren't meant to directly compete with or steal customers from Android or iPhone. They're for WP enthusiasts like us.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't think they're trying to improve their market percentage yet. The 950 and 950 xl are phones for MS fans. They know most of us will buy them if we've been waiting for a couple years holding out for a flagship. Why advertise when you'll sell them no matter what? I'm going to guess that in the US these will be produced and sold at about the same numbers as the Band 1. If word of mouth and reviews boost its perception (as what happened for the Band 1), then they'll either increase production (again, like Band 1), or shorten the time frame on the Surface phone. If they don't go anywhere, then they'll wait until next Fall on the Surface phone.

These phones aren't meant to directly compete with or steal customers from Android or iPhone. They're for WP enthusiasts like us.

They aren't meant to steal customers but they are. Maybe not many, but I'm a long time Android and iOS using switching to WP for the 950 XL. :grin:

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

I just preordered my 950 XL. I've had every iPhone, currently using the 6S Plus. Looking forward to the Windows phone experience!

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I just preordered my 950 XL. I've had every iPhone, currently using the 6S Plus. Looking forward to the Windows phone experience!
I'm glad you are switching to this amazing platform however without putting downer on things, have you checked if all your required apps are on windows store?

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad you are switching to this amazing platform however without putting downer on things, have you checked if all your required apps are on windows store?

That was my biggest fear, however I just received a 640 ($60 was just too easy for me to go ahead and jump in) and actually gave my wife my 6S Plus! Using the 640 as my daily device until my 950 XL comes in.

I was actually shocked that the apps I use most / daily were here. All the more reason to pull the trigger on the 950 to me. I'm enjoying my SP4 so much that it led me to look at windows phone. So far, after only a day & a half, I'm truly enjoying the experience!

I travel in sales and really don't need a bunch of apps. As long as I can listen to my purchased music and watch movies on flights, as well as getting something done and then on to my next meeting, then I'm good. May be super late to the party, but so far windows phone is suiting ne nicely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6