Lumia 920 to 950XL

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
While I have not pulled the trigger on the 950XL yet, and I am coming from a 920, how/what was the best process for transferring data/apps/settings from the 920 to 950XL? I have never had to transfer phones since acquiring the 920 over 2years ago. Just wondered if there is a write up or How To. I had the 950 at ATT ready to purchase and backed out hoping the 950XL would come around or something else but have a big trip in late April that I want a better camera/phone for so should I continue to wait or pull the trigger on purchasing an unlocked 950XL?

Thanks for everyone's input!

tool6996,

First: Make sure you have the correct Sim Card. Your 920 is a Micro Sim CARD, the 950XL is a nano Sim Card.

Second: Back up your current phone (Back up your stuff - Windows Help).

If I remember correctly when you log-in to your MS account, your apps will update to your new phone (make sure you're on a WiFi connection), the rest of the important stuff will update when you transfer to the new Sim Card. I think we all experienced some hiccups, but all have survived :)

I do recommend that you acclimate yourself to the features you will rely upon for your trip (camera and video settings, download your regional maps, and update and use the apps you will need), well before you leave, so you can be well versed on any new obstacles, and be able to enjoy and take advantage of the news features that are unique to the 950/950XL. There is a learning curve coming from the 920 (especially in the camera department), and going to the 950XL...at least there has been (and still is) for me :^)

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Since we're talking about going from Here to Microsoft maps in the 920 to 950XL transition, what are you guys doing for a replacement for City Lens. I miss that one app on the 920.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Since we're talking about going from Here to Microsoft maps in the 920 to 950XL transition, what are you guys doing for a replacement for City Lens. I miss that one app on the 920.

I must show my ignorance here...for I forget what City Lens provided. Is that where it showed local businesses/Points of Interests in the immediate area?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I must show my ignorance here...for I forget what City Lens provided. Is that where it showed local businesses/Points of Interests in the immediate area?

Basically it used your front facing camera and showed you nearby places, such as restaurants, gas stations, and land marks.

Lobster A

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Just type something like "Resturants" or "Hotels" or "Petrol" into the search in the windows 10 maps application and it will give you nearby places.

I think that city lens was cool to show people but alot of the time it didn't work that great; places would jump around or you would have to go through the calibration procedure. I think it was more of a novelty really.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
thanks mtf1380. Looks like others are looking for City Lens too but no solution there.

thanks Lobster A. I liked City Lens, it seemed to work for me. I did try your suggestion and it seems to work but there's something immediate about holding up your phone with City Lens and looking around seeing a point of interest and distance to it. It may be a novelty but it's a perfect reason for an app.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I owned the 920 years ago - I'm still a bit surprised when I hear people are still using one (my 920 crashed and AT&T replaced with a 925; later, I bought the HTC One M8, and recently I got the 950 XL). It's going to be light years of difference between the two in every single way. Aside from having to losing Nokia and HERE apps (or doing some kind of sideload workaround), it's all functionality and app gains rather than losses.

And in my opinion, the new Maps app is miles above what HERE was. HERE suffered from a lack of updates, poor turn-by-turn, and no route-step listing. Maps corrects most of these issues and will continue to expand its feature set.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
in case anyone is interested, found an app called PlaceView, which looks to be a replacement for City Lens. It's free too. I've downloaded it and will be testing it out. Looks promising

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
:winktongue::winktongue:
I owned the 920 years ago - I'm still a bit surprised when I hear people are still using one (my 920 crashed and AT&T replaced with a 925; later, I bought the HTC One M8, and recently I got the 950 XL). It's going to be light years of difference between the two in every single way. Aside from having to losing Nokia and HERE apps (or doing some kind of sideload workaround), it's all functionality and app gains rather than losses.

And in my opinion, the new Maps app is miles above what HERE was. HERE suffered from a lack of updates, poor turn-by-turn, and no route-step listing. Maps corrects most of these issues and will continue to expand its feature set.

I put my 920 through hell (albeit, wrapped in an Otterbox), and it STILL runs like a champ. Almost got the 1520, but elected to wait for the 950XL ? the wait almost killed me

tool6996

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
So since I have ATT, should I buy the phone then before powering on go to ATT and have them set it up with new SIM or go to ATT first have info transferred to new nano SIM then go to MS store to buy phone?

You link was for Win 10 M and I'm still on 8.1 but everything I can is syncing to 1Drive so since I will still have my 920 I can just download the videos and grab whatever I missed afterwards.

Lastly, as a parent of a child going to one of the schools they have listed, I called the MS store and they said they would honor the 10% discount but I didn't mention the phone is for me verses my child. Anyone have experience making a purchase with the EDU discount as a parent at the MS store?

tool6996,

First: Make sure you have the correct Sim Card. Your 920 is a Micro Sim CARD, the 950XL is a nano Sim Card.

Second: Back up your current phone

If I remember correctly when you log-in to your MS account, your apps will update to your new phone (make sure you're on a WiFi connection), the rest of the important stuff will update when you transfer to the new Sim Card. I think we all experienced some hiccups, but all have survived :)

I do recommend that you acclimate yourself to the features you will rely upon for your trip (camera and video settings, download your regional maps, and update and use the apps you will need), well before you leave, so you can be well versed on any new obstacles, and be able to enjoy and take advantage of the news features that are unique to the 950/950XL. There is a learning curve coming from the 920 (especially in the camera department), and going to the 950XL...at least there has been (and still is) for me :^)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon