Lumia 920 to 950XL

Tom Bradburn

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I've pre-ordered the 950XL to replace my existing 920, I was just thinking though, except for the features coming with Windows 10, what other features are added that didn't make it to the 920?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've pre-ordered the 950XL to replace my existing 920, I was just thinking though, except for the features coming with Windows 10, what other features are added that didn't make it to the 920?

Wow, this is a really big, complex question. W10M is WAY different in look, feel, and operation (hello hamburger menus) than 8.1. I'd say its a hard question to answer in a few sentences. Not trying ti be a jerk or dodge your question. Its just different in many ways.

I'd say this is a good start:

Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

Personally, and I may be in a small but vocal minority, but I prefer W8.1 over W10M by a longshot. You will loose the "look and feel" of the Windows Phone" you are used to. This is the main reason I don't like it as much. Again, I'm probably in the minority. WP development is all headed to W10M so its the future.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I think the OP is asking about hardware features, since he says, "except for the features coming with Windows 10".

Biggest differences you'll see are (950 xl on left, 920 on right, specs gotten from here - Microsoft Lumia 950 XL vs Nokia Lumia 920 - Phone specs comparison ):
the camera - 20MP vs 8.7MP
RAM - 3GB vs 1GB
thickness - 8.1mm vs 10.7mm
weight - 5.82 oz vs 6.53 oz
Screen size - 5.7" vs 4.5"
Resolution/pixel density - 1440x2560/515ppi vs 768x1280/332ppi

You can click on the link up there and see for yourself, really. 950xl trounces the 920 in just about every way.

As far as unique features:
Continuum
Retina scanner
Replaceable back
removable battery
Expandable storage via MicroSD card
Triple LED flash

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing the same thing and the good news is the best features of the 920 aren't missing in the 950xl, IMO: wireless charging, 32gb internal storage and Glance. Everything else will be light years ahead of the 920. Looking forward to the new phone. Now, when can I buy it?

PorscheRacer14

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I miss from my 920 on my 950XL is the ability to use gloves or some metallic object to interact with the display. It charges faster, runs faster, much better display and awesome camera. The ability to add in storage is pretty sweet, and overall usefulness make it a good upgrade. The 930 to me was a sideways upgrade and it didn't have glance so I skipped over that. The 1020 almost had me, but the 950XL is really nice. I'm fighting with upgrades at the moment since I have a single-SIM version. I may just need to opt out of preview versions of the OS to keep mine from downloading and rebooting all the time. When it does work, I've had little to no issues, versus my 920 on Windows 10 so far. The 920 works on Windows 10, but works much better on the latest 8.1, but I can't go back after being on the 950XL.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Day 1 920 owner on AT&T. Moved to the 950XL Dual SIM the day after Thanksgiving. I love everything about the 950XL. I especially like the SD storage, 3GB RAM, thinner, lighter, better display, and better camera. Battery life is marginally better. Going from WP8.1 to W10M wasn't a big deal. Just a new UI to learn. A great upgrade for me. OK, no VVM, that was a bummer, but I can manage.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was also a day one owner of a 920 and a day one owner of the 950XL. As much as I loved my 920, the 950XL is pretty much better in every way..much faster, better camera , much bigger and better screen, replaceable battery, upgradeable memory, USB C connector for faster charging and communication, iris scanner, the ability to use it to run office and surf the net on a big screen with the free dock I got, and it feels lighter in my pocket. The only negative is it is the most expensive phone I have ever purchased but when you compare to a IPhone 6S plus (that I feel the 950xl beats in just about every spec), it actually is a pretty good bargain, especially if you get the free dock.

wyabcp

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I'm thinking of going from my 925 to 950XL, however I'm worried about what apps in 8.1 will transfer over to W10. Is there anywhere I can find out if there are win10 versions of a specific app ? The M/S site only shows me win 8.1 apps, as it's got my profile set to 8.1 on my account..
thanks

Tom Bradburn

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
All 8.1 apps are available to download on windows 10 and will look the same unless the developer has updated the app for windows 10 the only apps that won't be transferred over are apps that have been removed/aren't listed in the store such as the here apps.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I "upgraded" from a 920 too, the design and construction quality are much inferior, display is **** but bigger. Everything else is better

wyabcp

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Again, all of the Here apps can be easily sideloaded. They even update to the latest versions and perform no different from what you are used to on 8.1.
great thanks for the info, looks like a need to research more. Also I could always keep hold of the 925 for the car, until M/S sort their mapping software out... if they ever do...

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
great thanks for the info, looks like a need to research more. Also I could always keep hold of the 925 for the car, until M/S sort their mapping software out... if they ever do...
I used to have the link but for some reason I cannot find it. Search the forums here, or try xda. That is where I originally found it. Even after sideloading the Here suite I find myself using the new MS maps more often.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

wyabcp,

I came from the 920 also (great phone), and relied on HERE for my trip navigator since 2012. After getting the 950XL I took a trip to a regular destination some 3 states away from me using the Maps Navigator, and found it just as good…BUT, I thought I had lost the speed alert feature that came with HERE (which I heavily relied on). To my delightful surprise, while digging deeper into the settings of the Maps App, I found the speed alert setting….I have just returned from that same route (this time WITH the speed alerts “ON”) and I for one like the Maps App Navigator equally as well as the HERE NAV.

AND there is one thing about the 950XL that I REALLY like over the 920 using the navigator, and that is, the 950XL will charge faster than it discharges…which was not the case for me using the 920. So, I had to make sure that the 920 was fully charged if I was taking a back route, or one I was unfamiliar with…I learned that the HARD way, late, late, late one SUNDAY night (and that SUCKED!!! Lol).

tool6996

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
While I have not pulled the trigger on the 950XL yet, and I am coming from a 920, how/what was the best process for transferring data/apps/settings from the 920 to 950XL? I have never had to transfer phones since acquiring the 920 over 2years ago. Just wondered if there is a write up or How To. I had the 950 at ATT ready to purchase and backed out hoping the 950XL would come around or something else but have a big trip in late April that I want a better camera/phone for so should I continue to wait or pull the trigger on purchasing an unlocked 950XL?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss