950 XL Dual SIM - Lack of availabilty!

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I just spoke with a MS rep with the MS store online.....

The dual SIM variant will NOT be sold in the US, period.....and at this time the India and HK variants are not yet available to buy.

WTF MS. FAIL.

-------------------------------------------------
Jessica M: Thanks for contacting Microsoft Store chat, my name is Jessica M! How can I help you today?
You: Hello Jessica, I see that the 950 XL can be pre-ordered, but may I please have the link to pre-order the 950 XL Dual SIM? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
Jessica M: Hello!
Jessica M: I would be glad to help with your 950 questions!
You: Thanks
Jessica M: Currently, we do not show the dual sim model available in the US.
You: Do you have the url to order it for India?
You: Both have the same radios I read in the online specs
Jessica M: Let me check...
You: Thanks!
Jessica M: You're welcome!
Jessica M: If you could, please allow me 1-2 minutes to look into this for you, and I will be right back with you!
You: Sure, np
You: This is the URL for the US market, perhaps it's just not be listed for sale "yet" but will be soon? https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...hone%2Flumia950-xl-dual-sim%2F&token=RHWnFDTi
Jessica M: The US does not currently have dual sim either at this time. We do have a call in to get more information so you can check back. Pre orders do not charge until they are shipped, so at the risk of selling out, you can pre order and if you see the dual sim become available, you can cancel the pre order.
You: Thanks but I have to get the dual sim only. If the India variant is also not available then I can downgrade to the HK one that has only slightly worse radio specs.
Jessica M: I do not see that India or Hong Kong have the phone available yet.
Jessica M: US does not have the Dual.
You: Ok. Well thanks for looking. Guess I'll just have to wait.
Jessica M: You're welcome!

Last edited:

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I was just told this in the comment section of the pre-order news article:

RyanAMG :
"I just got back from instore pre order and they said the unlocked XL will be dual sim. also when they did have the display unit it was a dual sim."

So I just pre-ordered the 950 XL unlocked on the US site just in case his info is correct. *fingers crossed*

Although I'm not hopeful as the specs clearly do NOT show dual sim:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...mp_spt_phn_citytalk_111615lnch&token=H3_1yE77

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I really hope it is available in the US. One TINY bit of hope is that they got FCC approval for the RM-1116, which is dual SIM.

Which I also own. I really hope the 950 XL unlocked we can pre-order really is dual sim!

CAN ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS FOR SURE, PLEASE VERIFY ANY OF THIS INFO ONE WAY OR THE OTHER?

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
If it's not dual that's definitely a deal breaker for me. I had the ZenFone 2 dual Sim because I have a separate number for work and personal. Buying the Priv I ported my work number to a Google number because dual sim are far in between here in the US.

Then all the news of the 950XL started hitting and was thinking I just may return this, port my number back to AT&T and be good with reusing dual sim access.

If this in fact single it's a no go as Google Voice is non existence on Window Phone.
And for the record you are in fact ordering the single sim as there was a separate link for the dual sim variant.

Priv screen goes up

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for making this thread. The chat rep didn't sound like it was definitely not coming, only that she could see that it's not on sale atm. "Currently, we do not show the dual sim model available in the US." Yeah, thanks, that was what you were saying. "US does not have the Dual." Again this sounds like she just looked up current availability. Let's hope we hear more, because the dual sim is the only one I'm buying.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This entire sales/pre-order experience has been about the most insufferable, worst one I have ever had, and there is absolutely no good reason for it being this bad except through the bumbling idiocy of people at Microsoft.

There's spec typos across different model spec sheets -- bands listed on some but not all models; Careless.

No dates anywhere, constantly; when we get any dates, there's again, more questions than answered by those dates.

Dual SIM models were shown in store, but no clear answer, just confusion and conflicting answers about whether or not these will actually be the models sold in store. Even the pre-order doesn't include a model number so no absolutely way to know, for sure, what one is getting.

The "free dock connector" again shows how incapable they are of providing complete, useful information about anything. No info about in-store vs online purchases. They may as well have just said "we might give you something for free when you buy a phone someplace."

I can really put up with a whole lot, but accurate timely communication is an absolute requirement. And they're falling all over themselves not providing this. At all.

I'm so close to just not caring anymore. I may just dump the whole platform if I go to the store (whenever that may be) to buy my pre-ordered 950 XL (whenever they decide to let me know to do so) and find it's not a Dual SIM model. But I know for sure I'm gonna open that box and check myself and keep it for most of the return period no matter what, so they can deal with an open-box, partly used item if it isn't what it is supposed to be.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Easy to tell before you open the box, check the model number. If it's RM-1116, that's dual-sim.

The display units in US Microsoft stores were most definitely RM-1116, and they were running a "000-US" ROM. So even if you have to buy one that's been imported, there will likely be a ROM somewhere to flash it with. I'm checking Navifirm+ on a daily basis to see if RM-1116 ever shows up.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. You know you failed when BlackBerry had an easier and seamless release than what MS has done. I'm on my last couple of days before return period is up for the Priv and I just compel myself to get the 950XL. I really want to. I want to love coming back to MS but...

And I'm a little disappointed in that.

Priv screen goes up

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Easy to tell before you open the box, check the model number. If it's RM-1116, that's dual-sim.
I do know that, but my purpose there, should it not turn out that we are getting the model we were shown at the time of pre-order, would be to express my extreme displeasure in the bait & switch tactic and lack of communication by creating a data point that is more difficult to ignore... an open box return vs. just a statement of displeasure that is more than likely ignored and uncounted.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Quick thread bump in case anyone can shed some light on this today.

Another user mentioned a site that I found which has the dual SIM on pre-order:

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL RM-1116 32GB Dual-SIM A00026806 B&H Photo

But it doesn't ship til 15th Dec. and of course no free dock. But at least it's for sure dual SIM!

Again, WTF MS.
Well first B&H doesn't say when it ships. It says they estimate that's when they will have them. Based on my past experience with them, I'm pretty sure their estimate is the LATEST they would possibly have them rather than the earliest. They will ship them when they have them which could be today if they get them that soon.

Second, until we know more I think there is a chance the dock is included with the B&H phones. There was a similar promotion for free Office 365 with the purchase of a Lumia 640. In that case, it didn't matter if you bought it from MS or AT&T or T-Mobile or..... You just downloaded an app that only worked on 640s and it initiated the process whereby you got an Office 365 key via email. This could be the same other than getting the dock via shipping address instead of email. Even the fact that some document says an offer is for purchases from a single source does not mean there isn't another document describing terms for an identical (for the customer) promotion if purchased elsewhere. I'm not saying there is, but in my experience its quite possible. I'd say Dual SIM being a bigger factor than where you buy it as to getting a dock.

I'm not understanding what you are asking Microsoft though.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Bump.

Is there not a single person who has seen a RETAIL (not store demo or proto) US 950 XL unlocked model that can confirm or deny if it's indeed dual sim?

Not only do the specs in the MS store online not mention dual sim, but the picture clearly shows only 1 set of signal bars. I'm really starting to get worried I'll have to return mine because it may be only a single sim.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Nope, no single person has seen one, with the exception of the people in the manufacturing plant, and employees in stores if they have already received them. But none of those are participating here.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Well first B&H doesn't say when it ships. It says they estimate that's when they will have them. Based on my past experience with them, I'm pretty sure their estimate is the LATEST they would possibly have them rather than the earliest. They will ship them when they have them which could be today if they get them that soon.

Second, until we know more I think there is a chance the dock is included with the B&H phones.
Except the BH phone is an international variant, so I think it's highly unlikely that you will get the dock. Heck, since MS says "while supplies last", there may be a lot of people not get the dock for free.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I, for one, will never purchase a MS phone that isn't direct from MS and the US-market version, after the warranty disaster I experienced with my 640 XL. MS flat out refused to fix a clearly defective phone because it wasn't intended for sale in the US and I didn't buy from an authorized retailer. Want to know who is an authorized retailer? Good luck! I'm assuming the list for the 950 XL is: Microsoft and the 950 is MS and AT&T. The screen on my 640 XL burned out after about a month. What.a.joke. MS wouldn't give me a clear answer until I sent in the phone for repair. Then they sat on it for a month until I DEMANDED to talk to a manager to find out the status. They sent it back without repairing it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I, for one, will never purchase a MS phone that isn't direct from MS and the US-market version, after the warranty disaster I experienced with my 640 XL. MS flat out refused to fix a clearly defective phone because it wasn't intended for sale in the US and I didn't buy from an authorized retailer. Want to know who is an authorized retailer? Good luck! I'm assuming the list for the 950 XL is: Microsoft and the 950 is MS and AT&T. The screen on my 640 XL burned out after about a month. What.a.joke. MS wouldn't give me a clear answer until I sent in the phone for repair. Then they sat on it for a month until I DEMANDED to talk to a manager to find out the status. They sent it back without repairing it.
You have to be careful buying from someone else but it can pay off. B&H has a better (IMO) warranty than the factory warranty. I used it with my 1520.3 which started acting up at 5 weeks. I had a brand new replacement 2 days after I reported it to them and showed them a video of the problems. And a prepaid label to ship the bad one back.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
You have to be careful buying from someone else but it can pay off. B&H has a better (IMO) warranty than the factory warranty. I used it with my 1520.3 which started acting up at 5 weeks. I had a brand new replacement 2 days after I reported it to them and showed them a video of the problems. And a prepaid label to ship the bad one back.

Good to know and I'll definitely take it under advisement. I got my TV from B&H years ago and a few high end cameras. I've never had to do any returns with them, but it's always nice to hear a positive review of something around here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb