950XL out of stock online!

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Well it's the truth. Microsoft's marketing is absolutely horrendous. I only saw one Surface Book ad this whole time. When I go into Microsoft Store, I am more excited about Microsoft products than the entire sales team combined.

On The Walking Dead Sunday night they aired the SurfacePro4 commercial on every single break. That must have cost a fortune.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
How to get the student discount?

When you go to MicrosoftStore.com, there is a tab at the top for Business and Education. You click on that tab. It opens up a new screen. On the left you select your school and click the box below to start shopping. I saved 10% on my 950XL by doing this.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ships by december 11th. Umm... I find that quite odd. They obviously didn't have that many in stock to begin with and the pre-orders were probably there to appease those that have to wait. Which was likely limited stock. They are so behind it's silly. I was happy I was going to get my unit soon and now have to wait again. I hope stores will have stock. Ugh this sucks. :(

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ships by december 11th. Umm... I find that quite odd. They obviously didn't have that many in stock to begin with and the pre-orders were probably there to appease those that have to wait. Which was likely limited stock. They are so behind it's silly. I was happy I was going to get my unit soon and now have to wait again. I hope stores will have stock. Ugh this sucks. :(

I think this is Microsoft's new way of "feeling it out". Hopefully sooner than later.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
More likely it's just for the press to show that it's selling even though they probably produced the minimum of 10,000.

Valid point, but in this case, I don't know if it's better to be overstocked and have a lot just sitting there, or be under-stocked, and have the small demand be met.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It is called a real time batch order system....MS would order batches of 10,000 depending on how many orders so that they are not stuck with hundreds of thousands of phones like Palm was.....

Seriously, everyone. Microsoft's not trying to run some sort of PR stunt to artificially create the impression of demand. They actually do want to sell these phones.

It's a batch order system on a product designed specifically for fans. More will come soon.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I think this is Microsoft's new way of "feeling it out". Hopefully sooner than later.

They had a button to email you when it becomes available, which they didn't do. That's what should be used to feel it out. They are just behind on production and opened up the small batch they already had. They know the are millions of users waiting for these. Xiaomi is already announcing their snapdragon 820 phone on nov 26. Samsung their galaxy 7 line soon. MS is probably low priority for manufacturers. They are making them in taiwan I believe, but could be wrong. anyways the 950 it's available still. Likely there were last minute issues that had to fix with 950xl. In fact 950 had to be stocked for att. Maybe they prioritized it. Who knows. But it's definitely because they are not ready. Even the stores aren't in sync with what is going on.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Valid point, but in this case, I don't know if it's better to be overstocked and have a lot just sitting there, or be under-stocked, and have the small demand be met.

Why is it bad to be over stocked? They will sell eventually. You don't produce phones for exactly each person that wants one.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Pretty much every flagship Lumia to date has gone "out of stock" when it was initially released but when the eventual numbers are revealed it shows the limited sales it achieved. There's really no story here, especially when you consider that there has been ZERO marketing and more importantly no official launch event for the OS unlike previous versions so apart from the fans no one is looking to buy this phone. Creates a nice headline but its really not a big deal.

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
I can't believe it sold out so fast. There is no way the demand was that high (most of my friends/family don't even know what these phones are)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb