950XL out of stock online!

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Valid point, but in this case, I don't know if it's better to be overstocked and have a lot just sitting there, or be under-stocked, and have the small demand be met.

Its absolutely the best thing to do most manufacturers would do this unless you are apple or samsung. You want to get a feel for what the demand is so a min qty to start of with and then you can work the next batch off of that. same thing is going on with the BlackBerry Priv.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Its absolutely the best thing to do most manufacturers would do this unless you are apple or samsung. You want to get a feel for what the demand is so a min qty to start of with and then you can work the next batch off of that. same thing is going on with the BlackBerry Priv.

Yes but any extra that don't sell will eventually sell when prices drop. I have never heard of Samsung or anyone doing this. It just frustrates the fans even more. It is a continuous wait as they keep pushing the date back. I want to get one from the store but of course no dates in Canada on availability. The store employees have no clue either. Was at 2 different stores. Way to keep people in the loop MS.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Since this is the first flagship MS has released in awhile (ever) I can see this phone picking up steam once bloggers get ahold of it, if it performs well that is. The blogging world has really helped push some phones that don't get much marketing and this is a relatively new thing. If the camera and phone in general turns out to be on par with or ahead of the other flagships, the bloggers/youtubers etc. might push this phone faster than any advertising from MS could have done. I hope all the popular bloggers review this device and compare/contrast it with other flagships for Android/iOS. This phone does have some distinct advantages over other flagships with it's SD card support and removable battery.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Since this is the first flagship MS has released in awhile (ever) I can see this phone picking up steam once bloggers get ahold of it, if it performs well that is. The blogging world has really helped push some phones that don't get much marketing and this is a relatively new thing. If the camera and phone in general turns out to be on par with or ahead of the other flagships, the bloggers/youtubers etc. might push this phone faster than any advertising from MS could have done. I hope all the popular bloggers review this device and compare/contrast it with other flagships for Android/iOS. This phone does have some distinct advantages over other flagships with it's SD card support and removable battery.
That may well be the case, but many tech bloggers have an anti-MS bias, and often nitpick the smallest things when it comes to reviewing anything from Redmond. Like the video where the MS employee was showing off the "living images" on the 950 and the blogger said "yeah, that looks familiar", referring to the iPhone's latest implementation of the tech. He was shut up by the person giving the demo saying, "yeah, we've had this for two years on Lumia devices". But what about the blogger that doesn't have a MS employee there to hold their hand when they review it?

Brent-WP

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the black one is out of stock again. The "Pre-order Now" button has changed back to "Email me when available" as of 12 PM EST 11/17/15.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
But that's not good for an already floundering brand. Best that they sell as many devices at full price as they can, then only produce enough to keep stores minimally stocked.

And they do have ads, look at the article in windows central with their new lumia phone ads. If you plan to air ads you better have a lot of stock. They are just not ready.

PrplHaz4

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes but any extra that don't sell will eventually sell when prices drop. I have never heard of Samsung or anyone doing this. It just frustrates the fans even more. It is a continuous wait as they keep pushing the date back. I want to get one from the store but of course no dates in Canada on availability. The store employees have no clue either. Was at 2 different stores. Way to keep people in the loop MS.

Microsoft wrote down $900MM worth of Surface RT tablets. I doubt anyone at MS wants to be responsible for that again.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You would think Microsoft would be prepared for a range of demand, given that they have been rolling out pre-ordering in stages across the globe for a few weeks now. Its not as if the reaction to the announcement of the US Store ordering is their first indicator. Maybe they need a day or so to tweak their projections.

I have two gripes with the way Microsoft handles these kinds of things: 1) having saps like me sign-up for advance email notice of when I can preorder and then never bothering to send out the notices; and 2) the lack of coordinated, dissemination of information about availability. I've been waiting for this release forever, yet even today, I can't get a reliable answer from Microsoft as to whether I would get the phone sooner by preorder and express ship, or whether it would be faster to get it in my local Microsoft store. WTF is so difficult about this? Decide already and let people know.

My experience with my original Surface Pro was absolutely maddening. I had signed up for all the advance notices, which were similarly dropped by Microsoft, but I still went to the trouble of pre-ordering my Surface Pro with the understanding that I would get one as soon as they were available. I didn't mind their having my credit card and all 4-6 months in advance. But when the Surface Pros first launched, there was apparently surprising demand and it seemed as if Microsoft figured, since I have this sap's credit card on file already, we'll just go ahead and sell his Surface Pro to a "new" customer. Its a win-win, we get to sell more units, and the guy on-hold for 6 months will eventually get his, like we promised, sort of, when we get some surplus built up in inventory. If that isn't precisely the deal, what is the loyal sap going to do? Cancel? The loyal sap didn't cancel, even though it was weeks to a month after a release that I finally got my "pre-ordered" Surface Pro. And then about two months after that Microsoft finally started sending out notices of the release, in apparent delayed response to my signing up for early notice. Its as if "pre-order" means only you get the privilege of parking your funds with Microsoft and doesn't relate to the date of actual availability. It got positively silly when the Surface Pros began arriving in numbers at the Stores. It was suggested that I "return" the undelivered unit I had actually paid for, and then buy one of the in-store units. When the whole "pre-order" song-and-dance was supposed to avoid the wait and uncertainty of availability in the first place.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I have two gripes with the way Microsoft handles these kinds of things: 1) having saps like me sign-up for advance email notice of when I can preorder and then never bothering to send out the notices

I absolutely agree 1000% that is a huge F-up and it pisses me off too, but what's sad is I expected not to get emailed. I'm just to used to companies failing at such basic things I left it to myself to just keep checking this site for the latest news. Thank god for WPC or I never would have gotten in on the first shipment of black 950 XLs which I HAD to have in my hand before I leave the country the 3rd of Dec. I got the fastest shipping they offered.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Went to the store today and all they do is reserve the phone for you, not an actual pre order, so you likely won't get the dock. Unless of course you can still do it through the app.

But I reserved one anyways. Now as far as when they will get them? No one knew, not even the manager knew. This is super poor communication in MS's side. Really poor launch.

I remember my friend and I went to apple store because she wanted to see something. She asked the guy about releases of products and he knew every date for everything. MS is so bad at this. Who is responsible for this entire thing. Poor organization skills.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft wrote down $900MM worth of Surface RT tablets. I doubt anyone at MS wants to be responsible for that again.
Everyone was talking about how dumb surface rt is. Most news outlets were confused why it existed when everyone will want pro. Yet they produced them anyways.

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
What's insane is that they've had all the time in the world since the Icon/930 was launched to get the phone launch right. Even though I've never bought a Band 1 (which had similar preorder sellouts and I'm guessing limited in-store availability) I would be more forgiving considering it was a gen 1 product but this is a gen 4 product and a lot of Windows users want this phone. All they needed to do was either hold off on the Oct. 6 event until the phones were ready and launch them all on the same day or announce them like they did and give a solid date after they're ready.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Still following Elop's deliberate strategy: flagship Windows phones must be sold veerry carefully, not letting just however many people buy them willy-nilly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss