950 xl available in store Nov 26th

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I called the Microsoft store in Lone Tree CO (Denver). I inquired about when the 950XL unlocked that I preordered would be in, and that I hadn't received an email yet as to availability date, but that I understood any time now. They said it would be in store the 26th (that's Thanksgiving). She said if I had the pre-order code email, that would be all I would need to bring, even if I didn't get an email.

I'm excited. My 925 has a short in the ear/speaker for the phone so I need a new phone!

Are you replacing your 925 under Microsoft Complete?

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I called my local store (Baybrook Mall, Houston, TX) and was told the unlocked 950XL would be available on thanksgiving day as well. He said they wood have the AT&T locked 950XL on the 20th but I assume he was also confused about the 950/950XL.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just returned from the Microsoft Flagship Store on 5th Ave in NYC. I spoke with a sales rep and, keeping in mind the info posted about a Thanksgiving release, asked him if they had an in-store date yet - I said I was hearing it would likely be Thanksgiving. He responded that they still didn't have the exact info, but they had "heard" it would be this Friday (11/20). He took my pre-order and said it would be held for 24-48 hours from the in-store date.

I was only there briefly and don't know if he was a manager or regular staff member, but he seemed more versed than average in terms of the phones themselves. That said, take my report for no more than its worth - it's possible that he had simply not been told about an updated date to Thanksgiving, or that he did know and was just blowing smoke. I wonder too if different stores might have different release dates - i.e. this being the flagship NYC store would they be likely to release earlier than others in the country? I'm not sure.

This goes with both the rosevelt field and walt whitman locations. They told me there is no set release date for the 950xl. When they come in they get dsitributed. IT could be this friday could be monday could be the day before christmas. Microsoft hasn't told the stores anything.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yuck, this is so frustratingly bad. I've been thinking all day that I'd do what I thought I never would--buy a phone off-contract. That AT&T is bumping the price of the 950 up $50, only the XL comes with the Display Dock for free, and I can use the 10% student discount, it all had me considering it. Basically, getting the 950 and Dock would cost me about $757, after tax. The 950 XL and dock would only be about $621 (10% discount, not having to buy the $100 Display Dock, lower 6.25% tax rate ordering online or getting at the MS store than the 8.5% tax rate in-town).

Now, it sounds like getting an XL will be like pulling teeth from a rabid jaguar or something. Thanksgiving release (by the way, do they open at 6 AM for real, or did you mean 6 PM?), unlikely to have stock beyond pre-orders, Online orders seem to be backordered into late-December now (didn't they already sell out of a second stock that was due December 11th or something?). So, this means I have to either:

1. Spend the extra $130-ish to get the lesser 950, but I can spread that price out on Next, rather than dropping $630-ish at once.
2. Risk driving 90+ minutes (one way) to the hellhole that is St. Louis, MO for an XL that might not be there on the most hellish shopping day of the year (Black Friday).
3. Wait an extra month for an online XL order.

Microsoft, you are officially the worst phone company I've ever dealt with. This is a flabbergasting embarrassment on your part. I'm appalled that I had to wait with my 920 for 3 years so I could experience the most incompetent mobile launch in smartphone history.

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
When speaking to a Microsoft rep at their call center I was told that they can look up inventories from there. I would call the 800 number first and request them to search for inventory level at the St. Louis store before driving 90 minutes.

Hope this helps.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Yuck, this is so frustratingly bad. I've been thinking all day that I'd do what I thought I never would--buy a phone off-contract. That AT&T is bumping the price of the 950 up $50, only the XL comes with the Display Dock for free, and I can use the 10% student discount, it all had me considering it. Basically, getting the 950 and Dock would cost me about $757, after tax. The 950 XL and dock would only be about $621 (10% discount, not having to buy the $100 Display Dock, lower 6.25% tax rate ordering online or getting at the MS store than the 8.5% tax rate in-town).

Now, it sounds like getting an XL will be like pulling teeth from a rabid jaguar or something. Thanksgiving release (by the way, do they open at 6 AM for real, or did you mean 6 PM?), unlikely to have stock beyond pre-orders, Online orders seem to be backordered into late-December now (didn't they already sell out of a second stock that was due December 11th or something?). So, this means I have to either:

1. Spend the extra $130-ish to get the lesser 950, but I can spread that price out on Next, rather than dropping $630-ish at once.
2. Risk driving 90+ minutes (one way) to the hellhole that is St. Louis, MO for an XL that might not be there on the most hellish shopping day of the year (Black Friday).
3. Wait an extra month for an online XL order.

Microsoft, you are officially the worst phone company I've ever dealt with. This is a flabbergasting embarrassment on your part. I'm appalled that I had to wait with my 920 for 3 years so I could experience the most incompetent mobile launch in smartphone history.

To be honest you have had your 920 for 3 years, whats waiting for pre-orders to re-open online and have it shipped. Yes you have to wait 2 more weeks but you save a good chunk of money instead of going with AT&T. No headaches and hopes of getting it, just having to wait until it shows up at your door.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Toronto, Eaton Centre (Canada) last week claimed to have the 950's in for this Friday. But after visiting again yesterday that seemed to change. Apparently there was some kind of conference call with head office and that date seems more likely to be to next week. Either way I intend to pass through Friday just in case on my way home.

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
called microsoft store today (hawaii) i was told the 950xl would be available in-store on Nov 20th. but then again i asked if the dock was online only deal and she just said she had no clue

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft store in the garden state mall in Paramus, NJ said the 950xl would be in store Friday 11/20/15. He was absolutely sure.

I think the kiosks don't have the same priority as brick and mortar stores in big cities. I'll be in store on Friday early just in case, I ordered mine the Sunday after the 10/6 event so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to grab it in the first wave.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I called my local store (Baybrook Mall, Houston, TX) and was told the unlocked 950XL would be available on thanksgiving day as well. He said they wood have the AT&T locked 950XL on the 20th but I assume he was also confused about the 950/950XL.

seems like to me they are trying to draw folks in to buy more stuff for black friday as more stores are starting on thanksgiving after 6pm stateside so i can see them tying this all in together. sucks for us since we pre ordered and paid for express shipping.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest you have had your 920 for 3 years, whats waiting for pre-orders to re-open online and have it shipped. Yes you have to wait 2 more weeks but you save a good chunk of money instead of going with AT&T. No headaches and hopes of getting it, just having to wait until it shows up at your door.

That really doesn't matter. Microsoft's made a total joke out of this, IMO. I'm on the 920 still because AT&T never got the 930, the 830 was an overpriced pile of junk, and McLaren's supposed release kept me from getting the 1520. Now, they have this last-second release date for these phones, then they deliberately don't make enough to meet demand, and that "November" launch might not even be a 2015 availability for many of us. We don't know when they'll be back to order, or when those orders will ship (if I was right in thinking that mid-December batch was already posted and sold out).

Whatever the case, after being such a failure by not getting the 950 universally available in the U.S., and not getting the XL onto ANY carrier, the least they could have done is gotten the freaking thing available to customers in an intelligent fashion. Well, I THOUGHT that was the least they could do, but it seems Microsoft managed the lower the bar.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Good advice.

And things could always be worse. I have two coming from Microsoft and can't open them for possibly 3 or 4 weeks.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Toronto, Eaton Centre (Canada) last week claimed to have the 950's in for this Friday. But after visiting again yesterday that seemed to change. Apparently there was some kind of conference call with head office and that date seems more likely to be to next week. Either way I intend to pass through Friday just in case on my way home.

This is very much in line with the info Musicman originally provided. It may be that the date was originally tentatively going to be the 20th, but there have since been internal communications pushing it back to next week - some stores may not have received that information yet, hence the number of reports (my own included) indicating that it still might be the 20th.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well it sounds like even if it doesn't arrive Friday, the 24th and 25th aren't that far off. And I'm certain we'll get it by then.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Update:

I decided to give my local store (the flagship 5th avenue store in NYC) a call to see if they had any new news since my visit on Tuesday. I told the sales associate that I had been in the store earlier this week and was told the XL might be this Friday - her response was that that was "definitely not right" - the 950 for AT&T would be this Friday (as we know), but the unlocked XL would be sometime next week. I responded that I had also heard maybe Thanksgiving, and she said, "uh huh, probably the 25th". Which is the day before Thanksgiving (I didn't point this contradiction out to her). She said even though I pre-ordered, I should give the store a call very early that morning to see because it would probably be crazy. I asked how long they would hold the pre-order for and she said 24 hours.

Nick Metro

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I called the Freehold store in NJ today. The person I spoke with said no word yet on when the 950XL will be in the store however the 950 will be in store tomorrow, 11/20. I might just go to the store and pre-order the XL, nothing to lose at this point.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)