"Best" microSD card for the Lumia 950 XL

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Micro SD to use in the 950 XL

I can recommend NOT getting the Lexar 633x. Had problems both in 1520.3 and 950 XL. The card itself is fairly speedy, but it causes an issue when it's in the phone and you plug it into the computer, the computer will not recognize your phone. Taking out the sd card and the phone is immediately recognized. Haven't heard of any issues with SanDisk...

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Could've swore windowscentral posted a link for a 128gb card for the black Friday sale from Best Buy

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

I can recommend NOT getting the Lexar 633x. Had problems both in 1520.3 and 950 XL. The card itself is fairly speedy, but it causes an issue when it's in the phone and you plug it into the computer, the computer will not recognize your phone. Taking out the sd card and the phone is immediately recognized. Haven't heard of any issues with SanDisk...
I can confirm this problem and in fact I started an MS Community thread regarding it. At the time I was using a Lexar 1000x. Now I have some SanDisk thingy I pulled out of the junk drawer and it does it too. I have not updated that thread lately, but can say the problem persists with the Win10 Fall Update when plugging in both my L920 (586.11) and new 950 XL. I think it has a lot to do with the quantity of files on the SD, and not just the SD, but I cannot prove that. Plugging in another phone might be a short term "fix" as per the thread. New Sandisk Ultra 128GB SDs coming Monday, we'll how those work

See "Windows Phone not recognized by Windows" (sorry, can't post links yet!)

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

"Fast" is relative. The differences are all seconds, just go buy one. And why not max the storage if you are going to get a 128?
I'dstick with Sandisk. Some of those other brands have failed reliability tests...... Your mileage may vary.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

What! I literally have this sitting in my amazon cart right now.... picked it for speed to match the max uhs-1 speeds and the handy USB3 adapter!

I can confirm this problem and in fact I started an MS Community thread regarding it. At the time I was using a Lexar 1000x. Now I have some SanDisk thingy I pulled out of the junk drawer and it does it too. I have not updated that thread lately, but can say the problem persists with the Win10 Fall Update when plugging in both my L920 (586.11) and new 950 XL. I think it has a lot to do with the quantity of files on the SD, and not just the SD, but I cannot prove that. Plugging in another phone might be a short term "fix" as per the thread. New Sandisk Ultra 128GB SDs coming Monday, we'll how those work

See "Windows Phone not recognized by Windows" (sorry, can't post links yet!)

Though maybe it won't be so bad if it's simply a software issue that can be fixed?

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

What! I literally have this sitting in my amazon cart right now.... picked it for speed to match the max uhs-1 speeds and the handy USB3 adapter!

Though maybe it won't be so bad if it's simply a software issue that can be fixed?

Well it's not unusable, just not as convenient. It's most likely a software issue, but they haven't gotten around to fixing it in WP8.1 yet, so who knows when they'll address it in W10M. Just pull the SD card out and your phone will be recognized. If you need to access the SD card, then use the provided USB adapter.

Hmoll1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

I got the Sandisk Ultra one in the Windows Central article. 64GB variety. I downloaded like 12GB of Grove Music to it. I had two problems:

• I just had a crash while taking a picture and when the phone came up it gave me that "There appears to be a problem with the SD card. Press Yes to scan now..." message.
  • A video I took had a stutter in it for a few seconds (even when playing the file from the PC)

I'm gonna keep it for now, but I'll just put photos and music there. Videos and apps will go on the device.

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I got the Sandisk Ultra one in the Windows Central article. 64GB variety. I downloaded like 12GB of Grove Music to it. I had two problems:

• I just had a crash while taking a picture and when the phone came up it gave me that "There appears to be a problem with the SD card. Press Yes to scan now..." message.
  • A video I took had a stutter in it for a few seconds (even when playing the file from the PC)

I'm gonna keep it for now, but I'll just put photos and music there. Videos and apps will go on the device.

I have had the exact same issues with phone crashing after taking pictures. I don't think its the SD card fault as I have used a 128 PNY card and a 64 SanDisk ultra.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung Pro+ 64 GB card from BestBuy today for $29.99. It is a UHS-I (U3), so it writes at 95MBs (give or take), good for recording 4K video.

I would have picked up their 128 GB card, but they are not on the market yet.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't worry about "best" here. Me, I'm going to get one mostly for music, which I don't think is going to benefit much (if at all) from the good and best difference. There are two on-sale for $40 right now that I'd consider:

PNY: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Performan...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3315371

Sandisk: SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card Gray SDSDQUA-128G-A46A - Best Buy

I got the Sandisk because, basically, I saw it first. The PNY is faster, though I don't know their reputation as a flash company, where as Sandisk has been around forever. I considered canceling/returning the Sandisk and getting the fast PNY, but I figured playing music from it won't exhibit a major difference, if any. Not worth the hassle of a second order and a return.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung Pro+ 64 GB card from BestBuy today for $29.99. It is a UHS-I (U3), so it writes at 95MBs (give or take), good for recording 4K video.

I would have picked up their 128 GB card, but they are not on the market yet.

Is the Samsung card working okay for you? Because mine causes random reboots, just want to make sure whether it's my SD card's fault (if not, then that means a bigger problem on the OS aspect).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6