I've got a 1520 and love it, the photos and video are pretty amazing. But there's times I wish for more detail, a bit of zoom and being able to look through a viewfinder to compose my shot. I also find my gf taking often better photos with her iPhone 6 Plus and feeling I need something better (though maybe it's just me!). My photography skills are basic, but I used to get better shots using a viewfinder and although you can see everything on the screen it somehow doesn't work for me as well instinctively. So I've been looking at getting a camera again, something like a Panasonic Lumix LX100 or if I can stretch my budget and go slightly more pro the Lumix GF8 or Sony A6000 (not sure I want to get into the world of lenses, but perhaps). I'm looking at those camera specifically as they're meant to be great for video as well as stills as I'm starting an online video channel, interviewing people and filming events.

But then again there's the Lumia 950 XL, I'm always wanting a new phone to play with. The size is better than the 1520, which is just a bit chunky these days and of course the imaging on the 950 is meant to be a step up from the 1520. Sure it's no camera, won't have the viewfinder I want, won't look as professional, but then my budget is limited so can't justify both. Perhaps the improved quality will be enough. So, do you think the improvements on the 950 will be enough to satisfy my imaging needs or will it still fall short of devices made for the task and I'd be better putting my money towards a camera?
    11-19-2015 05:27 AM
    You'll probably find that most modern P&S cameras will have an LCD on the back which is geared toward framing photos. My experience of view finders is that they're not great at telling you what's at the edges of the frame. Unless you "know" your camera, you can't really be sure whether what you see in the viewfinder is smaller or bigger in view with the resulting photo, there's also the parallax issue for close up subjects. Many modern P&S cameras don't even have a viewfinder window any more.

it's purely down to your choice I think. I personally have a Fuji X100S which takes amazing photos with it's huge sensor and fixed focal length lens. About 90% of my photos are taken with my 1520 though - it's just there in my pocket and the cloud sync means I never need to mess with USB cables or SD cards.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-19-2015 05:56 AM
    Yeah I considered the Fuji X100T/S, great little cameras, but the movie mode is a bit lacklustre. Some viewfinders are better than others, but it's not so much showing accurately what's in the frame that I was talking about, but the way you compose photos using them. For some reason I find looking through a viewfinder helps me see the angles and compose my shot better than looking at an LCD. It's somehow just proper and with a screen I feel to removed from the scene. I'm only looking at cameras with a viewfinder (and mostly 4k movie mode, the Sony being the exception, but it's good enough from what I've read).

I know a phone is way more practical, it'll be in my pocket and I'll use it for most photos. But if I'm going to be recording an event or interviewing someone then I'd have my camera with me. So the question is will a 950 be good enough in those situations (or make me look too amateur).
    11-19-2015 11:11 AM
    I guess you know enough to make your own mind up about that. Over the next few days, we'll see more and more photos from these new devices being posted and impressions from users.

In terms of looking like an amateur, you'll certainly look a lot less amateurish than people taking photos with iPads....
    11-19-2015 11:14 AM
    I've got a 1520 and love it, the photos and video are pretty amazing.
    If you have a 1520 and you've done even 15 minutes worth of research on the Panasonic LX100 you know it blows the 1520 out of the water for photos and video. And the 1520 blows the LX100 out of the water in terms of size and convenience. What you get or don't get is a personal decision.
    11-19-2015 12:32 PM
    I just researched the LX100, to me it's not worth the money, you would be better off getting a full DSLR. I have a Canon T4i and a Lumia 1520 running Windows 10. At a distance of less than 100 feet or so, I will use the two interchangeably (keep in mind, I use the Rich Capture feature and always shoot in RAW). I have sold pictures taken on my 1520 if that gives you any idea of the quality.

I have pictures posted on my site, Goomba Photography - Photos of Motorcycles and Nature where you can judge the quality for yourself. Check the nature gallery.

Also, I've taken 4K videos of concerts with my 1520 and no one believed me that it was my phone, I can't wait to see what my new 950XL will do ;)
    Last edited by AntnyGoomba; 11-19-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added comment
    11-19-2015 01:33 PM
    Almost two years ago, I replaced a point and shoot with a Lumia 1020. I used it a lot for social media pictures in my business, and it has served me well in that capacity. Love being able to reach in my pocket and press down on the camera button to bring up the camera app. We still bring in a professional photog when we have new products that we need to get on our web site. There is and will continue to be a large gap between professional photo shoot and P&S or smart phone camera. I have pre-ordered a 950xl and that will replace the 1020.

Any time your mobile device can replace one more thing that you no longer need to carry, that is a very important milestone. If you use a point and shoot, you probably don't carry it with you all the time. So before you go anywhere, you are always thinking about whether or not you need to take your camera, and whether your anticipated activities will be photo-worthy. If your informal camera is built in to something you already have, and assuming you never go anywhere without your smartphone already, then you have one less thing to ever worry about. For me, that is huge, but everyone is different.
    11-19-2015 04:17 PM
    I just researched the LX100, to me it's not worth the money, you would be better off getting a full DSLR.
    What DSLR shoots movies that rival the detail out of the LX100?

I have sold pictures taken on my 1520 if that gives you any idea of the quality.
    No it does not. I've sold pictures taken with an old 3mp camera. There is so much more to a lot of pictures other than technical quality.

The dynamic range on cell phone cameras is poor. It is tough to hold the highlights and still have low noise shadows with cell phones.
    11-19-2015 07:24 PM
    The Canon 5D and 7D were used to film the Avengers and Dark Knight Rises movies.
    11-19-2015 07:38 PM
    If you have a 1520 and you've done even 15 minutes worth of research on the Panasonic LX100 you know it blows the 1520 out of the water for photos and video. And the 1520 blows the LX100 out of the water in terms of size and convenience. What you get or don't get is a personal decision.
    This is I've seen video taken from the 1520 (and some of my own) that looks amazing, not really that different to what I've seen for the LX100. Can you post a link of something taken on a LX100 that wouldn't be capable on a phone?

I just don't know/feel it's substantially better than the 1520 (and 950 to come) to justify going for it. It's over a year old now so the price has come down which is good, but even still mobile technology is catching up fast and I feel the gap is closing.
    11-20-2015 08:29 AM
    I just researched the LX100, to me it's not worth the money, you would be better off getting a full DSLR. I have a Canon T4i and a Lumia 1520 running Windows 10. At a distance of less than 100 feet or so, I will use the two interchangeably (keep in mind, I use the Rich Capture feature and always shoot in RAW). I have sold pictures taken on my 1520 if that gives you any idea of the quality.

I have pictures posted on my site, Goomba Photography - Photos of Motorcycles and Nature where you can judge the quality for yourself. Check the nature gallery.

Also, I've taken 4K videos of concerts with my 1520 and no one believed me that it was my phone, I can't wait to see what my new 950XL will do ;)
    That's kind of how I'm feeling. The LX100 looks great, but I'm not convinced just how much better the video I'd get out of it will be over a 1520/950. Sure it's a better tool, has more options, will get better depth and detail - but will the 950 be so far behind that I'll notice the difference? I can't believe I'm saying this, that I could consider a phone could compete with a proper camera - but the samples I've seen, while lovely, don't seem substantially better than what these top end phones can produce these days. I'd love to see some good examples where the LX100 (or something like it) just blow the quality you get on a phone out of the water.
    11-20-2015 08:33 AM
    Speaking as someone who has spent more money on photography gear than many people spend on cars, I can understand your urge to get the best gear that you can.

Here's a suggestion that you may or may not wish to consider.

Take yourself out of the buying decision here and think about these two questions:
    1) What's the indented use of the majority of your photos and videos?
    2) Will your intended audience notice the difference between something captured on your phone and something captured with a P&S camera?
    Citizen X, jmajid and FeedTheShark like this.
    11-20-2015 08:44 AM
    keep in mind that the best camera is the one thats on you . I would look at some of the pics taken with the 950's. People on the boards have them already. The color reproduction iun the photos is very good. Single handedly stopped me from buying an iphone or android.
    muness and Citizen X like this.
    11-20-2015 09:06 AM
    What DSLR shoots movies that rival the detail out of the LX100?

No it does not. I've sold pictures taken with an old 3mp camera. There is so much more to a lot of pictures other than technical quality.

The dynamic range on cell phone cameras is poor. It is tough to hold the highlights and still have low noise shadows with cell phones.
    I think it depends on what you want to do with the camera. I love Lumix cameras and I agree that for a whole lot of people the LX100 would be more than enough camera ( I use a GH2 as a backup for my video business). Where a DSLR becomes effective is for photographers that need the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. I think a good cell camera is fantastic for in the moment pics, but for purposeful photography they're unlikely in the near future to replace a dedicated camera, whether that's an excellent P&S like the LX100, or a DSLR.
    FeedTheShark likes this.
    11-20-2015 07:55 PM
    Anyone that thinks the Lumia 1520 or the 950 XL can hold a candle to the Panasonic LX100 is delusional. LX100 in action...

Please post for me the 1520 videos that look like that. Notice the high light roll off. Notice the lack of macroblocking in low light. Notice the gradability.

Yes you can cherrypick a subject and lighting scenario and come out with a nice five second clip with the 1520 but you can't just stroll around Venice with it handheld using just natural light shooting a variety of subjects and get a vacation video like that. I own the phone. I know what I'm talking about. It's a nice phone... but it is no LX100. Let's just bury that nonsense right now.
    FeedTheShark likes this.
    11-21-2015 07:27 PM
    Thanks for all the replies (and that video). Ok you've convinced me I should get a camera. I don't feel the 950 will be substantially better than my 1520, and while that takes some amazing photos and the video is great - looking at that video (even though I know it's been smartly edited) I don't imagine I could do that with my phone. Composing shots is better with a camera for starters, let alone the detail they can pick up. I'm helping create videos for an online magazine so video quality is important for me; now I just need to decide on the camera. Still got the LX100 in my sights, but considering others like the Sony A6000 and other interchangeable Panasonics (GX7's going for under 500 these days). One decision made, a harder one ahead!
    11-24-2015 09:54 AM
    I think it depends on what you want to do with the camera. I love Lumix cameras and I agree that for a whole lot of people the LX100 would be more than enough camera ( I use a GH2 as a backup for my video business). Where a DSLR becomes effective is for photographers that need the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. I think a good cell camera is fantastic for in the moment pics, but for purposeful photography they're unlikely in the near future to replace a dedicated camera, whether that's an excellent P&S like the LX100, or a DSLR.
    Yeah all the Lumix range tempts me. Go simple with an LX100 and not worry about lenses, or go for something with more growth like an old GX7 which has come down in price, or GH3 or, or, or - they have too many models! I have at least ruled out the Z1000 as it's too bulky.
    11-24-2015 09:56 AM
    A good photographer would make brilliant pictures with a lumia phone.
    A bad photographer would make lousy pictures with the best DSLR money can buy.
    Roman Royter and Witness like this.
    11-24-2015 10:08 AM
    Ultimately you need to consider two things.
    1. The best camera is the one you have on you. Do you see yourself carrying an extra device all the time?
    2. Are you going after the best quality period, or is good enough, enough?

Obviously no phone camera ever will be able to match dedicated camera simply because of laws of physics. You need a large sensor and quality glass lenses for a great, detailed, high-range picture.

For a long time I was hauling a heavy DSLR with me, but eventually I lost the motivation. Now I take pics with my crappy by today's standards lumia 810 just because I have it with me all the time. So for me the upgrade to 950XL is worth it because the pics are going to be so much better in comparison.
    11-24-2015 11:12 AM
    Impossible without a xenon flash.
    11-24-2015 12:21 PM
    Oh and know the adage the best camera is the one you have with you. And for me 99% of the time I will take photos with my phone just because of that even when I do get a camera. But I will do filming at events occasionally and also I'd like a camera for when I go on holiday (and even then some days I'll just use my phone). I do want something small that I can have in my bag, I have an old LX3, which is why I've been considering the LX100. It can fit in a bag or a jacket pocket, it's not quite phone practical, but I can still have it with me a lot to capture moments slightly better than I would with my phone. But since a lot of it's use would be events where I'd be planning and it's not a problem to take a camera I've been wondering if I should get an ILC that would give me more control and also (silly as it is) look more professional.
    11-24-2015 12:58 PM
    Anyone that thinks the Lumia 1520 or the 950 XL can hold a candle to the Panasonic LX100 is delusional. LX100 in action...

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=mJqTtnow

Please post for me the 1520 videos that look like that. Notice the high light roll off. Notice the lack of macroblocking in low light. Notice the gradability.

Yes you can cherrypick a subject and lighting scenario and come out with a nice five second clip with the 1520 but you can't just stroll around Venice with it handheld using just natural light shooting a variety of subjects and get a vacation video like that. I own the phone. I know what I'm talking about. It's a nice phone... but it is no LX100. Let's just bury that nonsense right now.
    That's a nice video and while I agree that anyone wanting to shoot anything in a semi-serious fashion should use a dedicated camera, I could shoot this same video with my iPhone 6. I've already made similar videos, but it's full of family faces. I may shoot one of only scenery and post. The biggest difference between shooting with a camera and a phone comes down to the ability to optically zoom which can change the look of the scene with background compression.

My advice to the OP would be to just get that Lumix as the primary camera, but the 950 would definitely be used for additional footage in a pinch when the Lumix isn't available.
    FeedTheShark likes this.
    11-24-2015 01:26 PM