Canadians! Who's got their 950 XL?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not out in Canada... yet. But rumors of the release date in Canada seem to be all over the map. My friends over at the Eaton Centre (Toronto) location seem to be confused themselves. One minute it's Nov 20th... The next it's sometime the following week.

I pre-ordered mine back in October in store and followed up yesterday to be safe that just in case they should actually show up by some miracle tomorrow that my XL is set aside.

So should anyone be lucky enough to snag one tomorrow be sure to share here where you got yours! Good luck to all of you!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered it so I don't know even if it comes out tomorrow I would be able to pick it up from store instead of wait for ship. From what I know the earliest ship date for 950XL is Nov 26th for MS Canada, I unfortunately missed that first batch by a few hours so mine says "Ship by December 11". Kinda bummed but it's just another week.

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I did talk to a rep online about it, and this is all I got:

"I just want to inform you, we are currently waiting for the availability of the product. For us to able to ship the product.
And we apologize for the inconvenience. However, once it is already available, you will be receiving an email confirmation with the Shipment Details."

So yeah, pretty much we just have to wait it out

Chris Bardon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Do the stores at least have demo units in stock? I was thinking about stopping at Yorkdale or Square One on my way home to check them out. I still haven't decided on whether I want to go 950 or XL, and would like to at least handle both before deciding.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Do the stores at least have demo units in stock? I was thinking about stopping at Yorkdale or Square One on my way home to check them out. I still haven't decided on whether I want to go 950 or XL, and would like to at least handle both before deciding.

They used to have the 950XL but removed them from stores. To be honest the demos were lack luster anyway and lacked the build quality that you should expect from the actual retail units. In my store the Microsoft logo was peeling off the back of the device and it just seemed.. "cheap" looking. But the sales people defending but saying don't worry it's just the demo unit. In terms of being able to test the hardware and software of the non-XL you can definitely do that to get a good feel for it. That to me was more impressive.

Chris Bardon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, software-wise they'd be identical, but It's really the form factor I'm more interested in. I was all set to go with the XL, but then I was using my AtivS this morning, and realized that with the XL, I probably couldn't use it one handed and hit the back button with my thumb. Also, not sure if the extra little bit of screen real estate is worth $100.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So the US confirmed sales of the 950's in their MS store on Nov 26th (US Thanksgiving). Curious if that will hold the same as for us. Obviously, we're well past Thanksgiving here so not sure if that changes anything for us.

Chris Bardon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Of course, the next problem is that there's only partial support for the bands on Bell, so I'm not sure how it'll work out. Might not be worth getting right away after all...

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I called Yorkdale and they said that I'll be able to pick it up on the 26th.... I wounder if it's true... I also want to know If I can get the 10% educational store discount on it, to help shave off $85 lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb