Canadians! Who's got their 950 XL?

Mr_Atomic

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I purchased it rferrara90, as in the past I have ran over my phone with a truck and then there was the Mulcher incident. As well, there was the time I sat on my Blackberry. I'm 270lbs+, so once can only image the result of that. I found it worth it, but then I am in a profession that is, at times, hard on cell phones. I also bought the grey Jack Spade case and the screen cover. I think it's worth it, as its important to protect my investment from myself and equipment onsite.

Mr_Atomic

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a dual sim white 950XL with the grey Jack Spade case and screen cover, yesterday. So far the phone is working very well and I am enjoying it. I did have difficulty initially trying to install my Telus email. I changed my password twice before it would function. Everything works well now and the battery, so far, is doing well. I played with it on and off today with the change lasting all day. I don't play games on my phone and rarely do I listen to music on it. The screen is absolutely beautiful. It is a huge step up, in my opinion, from the 1020 and other phones I have, that include Blackberrys and Samsungs.

I find the phone very light and thin, but not to the point of it being so flexible that it might break or crack in my pocket, if I lean over, etc... It's actually quite a sturdy phone that fits in my jeans, with no issues. I like the white colour. With the grey Jack Spade cover it looks professional and sleek, not out of place, in the work place. As I mentioned, it is a large phone, but I don't find this detracts from me using it on a daily basis. I will most likely pick up a Mozo cover at some point. The cost of all this though gave my wife some concern for my sanity... The 950XL will be my daily driver for many years to come. Thus far I really like the phone. Its exactly what I have been looking for, for the last three years...

Last edited:

Stephen Pate

May 12, 2013
Visit site
D
FYI - Yorkdale now has the demo units back on display at the 'Continuum' station.

Question - anybody upgrade from 920 to 950 XL? Would you say the upgrade is worth it? As old as the 920 is, I still don't mind it. But I would love to get a new phone but only if it's worth it. (I know 'worth it' is subjective to each person lol.. but love to hear people's personal opinion)

I've ordered a 950XL to replace my 920 which actually works perfectly after 3 years, numerous drops and even running over with a 250 wheelchair. Still I've saved my money for this new phone especially to upgrade the camera and video to 4K .

DigitalZ

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
If you are using both telus and rogers at the same time, you have to make the telus sim the one that uses data, because telus do not have a 2G network for the sim to connect too when the rogers sim is used as the data sim. for bell you would have to check if their 2G network is compatible with this phone.

I understand that only one SIM can be used for data at a time but my problem is that phone calls aren't going through on the other SIM. Why would the data settings affect the phone calls?

Stertinius Romanus

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I got my 9050xl on Thursday 26 Nov, put my nano sim from Bell into it started it up and no problem. Get LTE connection no problem. The only problem I have is that it eats battery. I never have enough battery left to last a whole day (16 Hrs). It used 8 % (7.5 hrs) just sitting on the table over night, while my iPhone 6s plus used 0%. The phone has use 24 % in four hours this morning with very little use. It seems to use 6% battery an hour even when it is not is use.

Stertinius

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any battery issues. In fact, no issues at all. My only complaint/disappointment is that Windows Hello requires you to put the phone right up to your face, like within 30 cm. I think I'll probably disable that feature and just use a PIN.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I understand that only one SIM can be used for data at a time but my problem is that phone calls aren't going through on the other SIM. Why would the data settings affect the phone calls?

which network sim are you using for the non data or 2nd sim. I have to have telus as my primary data sim and rogers as my 2G sim because telus do not have a 2G network. So lets say you have the telus sim as your 2nd sim it will not connect to anything because there is no network to connect too.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any battery issues. In fact, no issues at all. My only complaint/disappointment is that Windows Hello requires you to put the phone right up to your face, like within 30 cm. I think I'll probably disable that feature and just use a PIN.

Why disable it when they aren't mutually exclusive? You can still enter your pin every time no? :)

Franky_B

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Got mine on the 25th... I got soom issues with the setup. I solved most of them with a reset and NOT restoring from a backup. But my Bluetooth isn't perfect and the it doesn't recognize my DT-903.

swizzlerz

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't order it. I wanted to but its not in my price range atm. I would have been happy with a 2 year contract like I had with my lumia1020. It is unfortunate for me that I must buy out the phone I want. Didn't with my last lumias. It is a let down from microsoft and telus.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Why disable it when they aren't mutually exclusive? You can still enter your pin every time no? :)

Yes, you can still enter your pin anyway, but it's kind of annoying to have the screen say "Trying to recognize you" or "Move closer". I always feel like I'm interrupting if I lose my patience and start entering a PIN. :wink:

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can still enter your pin anyway, but it's kind of annoying to have the screen say "Trying to recognize you" or "Move closer". I always feel like I'm interrupting if I lose my patience and start entering a PIN. :wink:

Hahah, I totally understand where you're coming from. Just for fun, I tried to beat 'Windows Hello' with entering my pin, in the end, the recognition feature beat me 4/5 times, so if you are at the right range, it works quite fast :)

DigitalZ

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
which network sim are you using for the non data or 2nd sim. I have to have telus as my primary data sim and rogers as my 2G sim because telus do not have a 2G network. So lets say you have the telus sim as your 2nd sim it will not connect to anything because there is no network to connect too.

I have a Bell sim as my second sim. Bell is essentially the same network as Telus so I think that may be the problem. I will find someone else who has a Rogers sim that I can try in the phone.

Calydus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
you cannot for the life of you get MMS to work properly on videotron, that is the same for my L1520 also, this is a problem on videotrons end and not the phone... I think. videortron CS tried every trick in the book to get MMs working on my L1520 (spent and hour!) properly and no can do!

Well the weird story about this, is that I poped in an Bell LTE sim and it didn't work either... so that's why I was wondering... Because they have all those androids phone they only swear by those because they work...

FreeJACLive

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't order it. I wanted to but its not in my price range atm. I would have been happy with a 2 year contract like I had with my lumia1020. It is unfortunate for me that I must buy out the phone I want. Didn't with my last lumias. It is a let down from microsoft and telus.

I couldn't agree more! I am not in a financial position at this time to buy this phone outright either. Pathetic that there is no carrier partner in this country! I thought at least Rogers would step up. I'll save my pennies and try to get another year out of my 1020 and we'll see then. Be sure to hit up ATrogershelps on social media. Let them know how disappointing this is.

Calydus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
you cannot for the life of you get MMS to work properly on videotron, that is the same for my L1520 also, this is a problem on videotrons end and not the phone... I think. videortron CS tried every trick in the book to get MMs working on my L1520 (spent and hour!) properly and no can do!
So I confirm it works out of the box with a Rogers sim... god damnit. This is so annoying.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I posted this question somewhere else too, but I figured it might be better to ask my fellow Canadians. Does anybody know if the 950 XL will work on the Wind network?

I wanna get a second line and Wind is the cheapest.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Wind is not reliable; it's affordable that's all that can be said about Wind. Since most high end Windows Phone 1520 (discontinued) 950XL have to be bought, I'd recommend Bell.

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes it works on Wind. Just verified it. Had to go into settings to manually update and search for network but it works. Used an active Wind sim and accessed the internet. It shows compatible specs in the listings also.

Dave Baumann

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I got mine from the Yorkdale mall on TO on Wednesday evening. First rep I spoke to said that they didn't have any units left, only if people didn't pick up their pre-orders would they be able to sell them. Wondered around the store for a while, played with a demo unit and another rep spoke to me and I asked about the 950 (originally wanted that but it appears to be delayed to the point they had no idea when it was coming) then just said "you've got none of the XL's left?" to which he replied "I've got a couple", so my immediate response was "I'll take one".

Had a micro-sim, so I needed to get it cut at a case vendor in the middle of the mall (neither MS store nor Rogers store had a cutter) and it worked fine. Rogers sim when straight in and all was working.

I'm moving from a Samsung ATIV-S (and a Focus before that), so I'm familiar with the Win Phone Ecosystem, but this is my first experience of Win Phone 10. At the moment I have to say that the Win 10 interface is actually appealing more to me as a phone interface than it is a PC interface, certainly seems more put together to me. Universal apps are fantastic - I love that the XBOX or Solitaire apps are seemless (even the same version number) between Win 10 on the PC and Phone, I hope we see a lot more devs take advantage of this. My one gripe so far is that there are no achievement notifications for XBOX enabled apps built for prior versions of Win Phone, we currently only get notifications for achivements that appear via the XBOX app (which are cloud based on XBOX One / Win 10).

I only realised through looking around here that the dock was available for free, but am currently stuck not being able to put my order in because its out of stock - somewhat poor service from MS there, at least let us register our names in the queue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6