Canadians! Who's got their 950 XL?

aliencatos

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my 950 XL on december 3 and was supposed to be ship before december 11, my order status change for Backordered, I hope it is not a bad sign...

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking since the Surface tablet write off fiasco Microsoft has been very careful to not over produce a product, which means they sometimes under produce. That's my theory.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking since the Surface tablet write off fiasco Microsoft has been very careful to not over produce a product, which means they sometimes under produce. That's my theory.
Or they just under produce everything to make it looks like so popular which will some how make people want it more. Kind of a market strategy (hunger marketing) in which way both google and Apple has used before.

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I was one of the first to get the Dock and I still have it in the box, I haven't even opened it yet... I mostly use the Microsoft wireless display adapter

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the combination of networks. Telus and Bell for instance don't work together but Telus or Bell paired with Rogers works fine if the Telus or Bell sim is set as the one with data.

I have it working with TELUS as data, and Rogers as secondary. however, I much prefer the other way around. I made a pinned shortcut so I can change data to Rogers since that is my non work sim and is faster /better reception outside of work.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyone notice that you can't use two sims working on a different network frequency? One of the sims won't have reception example Koodo and Wind won't work

Forgot to mention this, but I did go to a Wind store a few weeks ago to see if I could get a Wind sim to work at the same time as my Telus sim. No luck.

The Wind sim works by itself, but when we put in both the Telus and the Wind, the Wind sim would not initialize.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Forgot to mention this, but I did go to a Wind store a few weeks ago to see if I could get a Wind sim to work at the same time as my Telus sim. No luck.

The Wind sim works by itself, but when we put in both the Telus and the Wind, the Wind sim would not initialize.
Odd I tried my Rogers and wind the same time, it worked fine on both sim. And if I put both Rogers sim, it worked fine too.

EDITED @10:55 : so the thing is the phone only can use one sim for 3g/4g connect at a time, since Rogers is the only Canadian carrier (nationwide) has 2G GSM/Edge network, dual sim for Rogers will work. But not for other carrier. So to be able to use your wind sim, you have to set "use this SIM for cellular data" to Wind to be able to use that sim, so is the TELUS sim too. So, you could try to see if you can setup in smart dual sim setting to make the phone calls automatically transfer to the other sim.
This is really not good, I was against the dual sim version releasing in Canada from beginning. Now I was proved right that the dual sim version almost useless and not benifit at all.

Last edited:

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So to be able to use your wind sim, you have to set "use this SIM for cellular data" to Wind to be able to use that sim, so is the TELUS sim too.

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I understand that only one sim can use data, but both should be able to make phone calls and send texts. So are you saying that if I set Wind to "use for cellular data", that I won't be able to make phone calls with my Telus sim?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I understand that only one sim can use data, but both should be able to make phone calls and send texts. So are you saying that if I set Wind to "use for cellular data", that I won't be able to make phone calls with my Telus sim?

Sounds like it. I have Rogers and TELUS, and when data is set to Rogers, TELUS doesn't work. I swap it when I need to have TELUS at work, and Rogers will allow phone and text even when not set to data.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like it. I have Rogers and TELUS, and when data is set to Rogers, TELUS doesn't work. I swap it when I need to have TELUS at work, and Rogers will allow phone and text even when not set to data.

I guess it was silly of me to expect that a dual sim phone would just work with any two sims in any configuration. I guess it's more complicated than I thought.

JamesX67

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
congrats to those who have been able to procure one!
I am on the fence myself (not that it matters because they are not in stock)

for those lucky few Canadians that have one, how are you liking it?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess it was silly of me to expect that a dual sim phone would just work with any two sims in any configuration. I guess it's more complicated than I thought.

I guess it makes sense they are sharing the same radios and you can't have one radio used at the same time by different sim. And just for us, we don't have a lot of options for gsm providers with different radios

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion