11-23-2015 09:58 AM
34 12
tools
    The videos are starting to come out I just got notification that the verge just uploaded the review for the 950 which usually means that these guys are about to ship because those Non Disclosure deals are lifted at the time the vendor begins to ship so we might have these on the 25th in the mail vs thing on black friday and what nots. Just my thoughts but about to run over there to watch this review on the 950 because what ever they give that we can almost assure that the XL will get maybe a point more or half a point since the only differences are liquid cooling larger display to speak of.
    11-20-2015 10:19 AM
    Well they dissed the 950 pretty much here are some things I pulled from their site.

GOOD STUFF

• Sharp display
    • Fast performance
    • Reliable camera

BAD STUFF

• Price is too high for what it is
    • Cheap materials
    • Boring design
    • Weak app support

11-20-2015 10:27 AM
    The AT&T 950 launches today, which is why the reviews are out (there's one from Dan here on WinCen). In the comments, Daniel said that a review for the xl would come next week, when devices started shipping.
    11-20-2015 10:32 AM
    what more did you expect from the Verge?
    Why did Tom not post his review for this?
    I pretty much tuned out very quickly while reading this review...

Daniels review here on WC was very balanced and thorough and i think, so far, is the "go to " review - he isnt sugar coating the device but is providing an overall very comprehensive look at this from the perspective of the man on the street...
    he also points out that he is confident this is the "flagship" phone until end of 2016 - so like someone in the news post pointed out, either the Surface phone is not coming til end 2016 or its not a flagship...

Reading Paul Thurott's first impression, he has some very nice low light photos... looking forward to his review also.
    11-20-2015 10:33 AM
    So all the negatives were things that they could say are negative without ever having touched the phone? Nice way to review.
    libra89 and Musicman247 like this.
    11-20-2015 10:35 AM
    Why am I not surprised about The Verge being hyper critical. Though the stuff you stated from their site seems about right.
    nokia4life and libra89 like this.
    11-20-2015 10:36 AM
    I'm not sure where they get "price is too high for what it is". Specs-wise it's the same as its competitors, of which several cost the same as, or more than the 950. Do they mean apps?

Anyway, we're getting a little off topic for being the 950 xl sub-forum. >_>
    11-20-2015 10:52 AM
    I'm not sure where they get "price is too high for what it is". Specs-wise it's the same as its competitors, of which several cost the same as, or more than the 950. Do they mean apps?

Anyway, we're getting a little off topic for being the 950 xl sub-forum. >_>
    this is the xl forum but there is not much difference when it comes to build and functionality basics. I am hoping the 950XL does not have the same rating I posted this to give some sort of what we could possibly expect from a build quality review the phones run the same software feel free to correct me if am wrong as this will be my first windows phone since the days of the Lumia 920.
    11-20-2015 11:21 AM
    not sure how they get the rating as 6.5; i averaged their 8 ratings and got 7.1 :) cant do math?
    adding them up gives 57 / 8 ratings = 7.1
    11-20-2015 11:23 AM
    what more did you expect from the Verge?
    Why did Tom not post his review for this?
    I pretty much tuned out very quickly while reading this review...

Daniels review here on WC was very balanced and thorough and i think, so far, is the "go to " review - he isnt sugar coating the device but is providing an overall very comprehensive look at this from the perspective of the man on the street...
    he also points out that he is confident this is the "flagship" phone until end of 2016 - so like someone in the news post pointed out, either the Surface phone is not coming til end 2016 or its not a flagship...

Reading Paul Thurott's first impression, he has some very nice low light photos... looking forward to his review also.
    Thanks jmajid I will read Daniels I only saw Verges because youtube notified me when the review went live, I have not gotten any email notification from WindowsCentral that a review is up or any type of video so had no idea. I am about to read Daniels to see what his thoughts are. my main focus is on build quality, camera performance, and how continum works i would assume these will be almost the same as the XL just has the different processor , cooling , maybe more features I could be wrong but not by much. well off to read Daniels to give me some insight on what I could expect for the XL based the 950 review.
    11-20-2015 11:24 AM
    I love when I see slabphones referred to as "boring design".

It's a SLABPHONE. What do you want? They're ALL the same design.
    nokia4life and editguy like this.
    11-20-2015 11:48 AM
    While there were some parts I agree with, other parts are BS, for example, saying that the camera is slow even though from every hands on we've seen, it's blazing fast, he doesn't even show us the camera performance. He also didn't mention that you don't even need that $99 continuum dock. Continuum works wirelessly too.

Someone more informed like Tom Warren should have reviewed the phone but at the end of the day, the review is just somebody's opinion.
    Kevin Rush, nokia4life and jmajid like this.
    11-20-2015 11:56 AM
    Oh and another thing that annoys me is anyone who says plastic is junk and metal/glass/aluminum is premium. Some of the best things in the world are made of plastic.
    11-20-2015 12:09 PM
    my main focus is on build quality, camera performance, and how continum works
    Dan says it's the best camera on a smartphone. :D
    Oh and another thing that annoys me is anyone who says plastic is junk and metal/glass/aluminum is premium. Some of the best things in the world are made of plastic.
    I like that Dan specifically says that the device is sturdy enough that it doesn't feel like it needs a case. I like that. I'm buying a super thin phone. Why would I want to hide that with a case that makes it bulkier?
    11-20-2015 12:15 PM
    Since it is the same design as the 640 i have on me you need a case. There is nothing protecting the glass if you drop the phone on its side.
    11-20-2015 12:19 PM
    have just seen some of Tom Warrens tweets - he's also of the opinion that platic phones are and i quote here
    "Ugh. Plastic phone "

well - so much for that...
    i dont agree - have held the 950 - felt very nice to me and i have used and owned metal phones and polycarbonate phones both Nokia/Microsoft and Apple....
    11-20-2015 12:20 PM
    Just don't read the arstechica review..... But to be honest, the phone isn't anything special compared to what's available on other platforms and I think that's what the reviews reflect.
    11-20-2015 12:32 PM
    the phone arena first few days impressions is actually okay though. They talk about a lot of things in the OS. They don't just blabber on about the things they hated for 90% of the review.
    nokia4life and apinkel like this.
    11-20-2015 12:47 PM
    Just don't read the arstechica review..... But to be honest, the phone isn't anything special compared to what's available on other platforms and I think that's what the reviews reflect.
    thats just typical DrPizza - says he covers Microsoft but is very abrasive everytime i read or listen to anything he has had his hand in....
    realwarder likes this.
    11-20-2015 01:13 PM
    The usual, can't use Google services, Snapchat... so apps yes and that it's just a slab of boring plastic. Because they want the design of their phones to look exciting!! Fresh!! Right up until the point they put their favorite Pokemon case on it:

pokemon-case-small.jpg

oh and then there's this tweet by the writer to further anger WP users.
    Gungzwei, maevinj and Adam Frix like this.
    11-20-2015 01:20 PM
    Meh. Doesn't anger me. Just lets me know that he's a stupid head for prying the cover off at the USB port.
    Hoekie and editguy like this.
    11-20-2015 01:54 PM
    have just seen some of Tom Warrens tweets - he's also of the opinion that platic phones are and i quote here
    "Ugh. Plastic phone "

well - so much for that...
    i dont agree - have held the 950 - felt very nice to me and i have used and owned metal phones and polycarbonate phones both Nokia/Microsoft and Apple....
    I do not agree with him when sammy sung made plastic phones he defended them as being durable now this phones polycarb and its not premium enough. To me premium can be plastic or polycarb whatever its about what goes into it the entire device. I can find plenty of glass android or metal phones that have tech from 3 years ago do we say thats premium no so that I whole hardly disagree with the guy on.
    11-20-2015 01:55 PM
    The usual, can't use Google services, Snapchat... so apps yes and that it's just a slab of boring plastic. Because they want the design of their phones to look exciting!! Fresh!! Right up until the point they put their favorite Pokemon case on it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pokemon case small.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	116991

I am fine last report that i saw was the the IOS apps are coming along very good with developers while they are having all kinds of issues with android ports. So IOS apps look better and devs seem to put more into those feature wise well before they provide it to the android counterparts so as long as the future says that at some point these ports are still on target who cares if snapchat isn't there or tinder come on access it through the web and pin it probably get more features doing it that way.
    11-20-2015 01:57 PM
    Meh. Doesn't anger me. Just lets me know that he's a stupid head for prying the cover off at the USB port.
    is that what he did? i'v been wondering how he did that... i think the pry off point in in a corner, isnt it?
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    11-20-2015 02:00 PM
    is that what he did? i'v been wondering how he did that... i think the pry off point in in a corner, isnt it?
    Someone mentioned that in a reply and he didn't defend himself by saying he didn't. That would be my guess as well. In fact, I remember seeing other posts from around Oct 6th, either on the forum or articles in which they said the back came off pretty easily when prying from the usb port.
    11-20-2015 02:09 PM
34 12