[Real Users] My Lumia 950 XL Detailed Review

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This really is a great phone. Love the performance, no matter what I do or try, everything is smooth and quick. Yes, there are some software issues, but mainly with apps themselfs. Whatsapp seems to crash sometimes (not different from windows 8.1), facebook wont show me notifications most of the time (didnt show on 8.1 either) and my screen sometimes freezes when I use the notification screen to change screen brightness. In the ideal world, things like these shouldnt happen and I'm hoping for updates, but really: it's not like android or ios are flawless.

App gap is something I hardly notice. Don't use my phone for silly smartphone games (thats where my PS4 and Xbox One are for right) and apparently I'm already too old for snapchat, instagram and whatever the cool kids are using right now. I stick to some basic messaging, news, weather and social media apps. And they are all there.

I totally agree that the phone could have used a more premium design, but in the end most people are hiding their premium iphones in plastic, fake leather of sillicon cases. So you wont see the design AND don't get to use wireless charging. So I rather have a plastic back and wireless charging right out of the box. Oh, and also removable battery and micro SD slot. Take that. Buttons could have been better tho. Bit sharp and wobbly. I got used to it, but they were almost the dealbreaker when I just got this phone. However, I kind of like the placement of the buttons. People seem to complain when things are different from mainstream, but also when it's too much like the mainstream. Fact is, with a phone of this size, the buttons are perfectly under my fingers. If you're pressing the wrong buttons, it's really your own doing because the buttons are seperate and, like I've said kind of sharp so you'll feel the other buttons. It's like blind typing on a keyboard, really, you'll know what you've pressed on the keyboards you know and need to get used a day or two when you get a new one.

Have been fooling around with Continuum when my dock arrived. It really has potentiol, but its simply not there yet. While switching between apps on the phone is smooth, there's a bit of lag on Continuum, which makes is kinda a hassle to multitask. And that's why you are on the big screen, right? Also, Edge is not that great on Continuum. Slow, scrolling is never smooth and the phone seems to be having difficulties with desktop websites, advertisements etc. So it could use some improvement. Multitasking would be great (in a windows 8 kind of way with two apps side by side would do), better Edge-experience is needed. Still, having full Office on your phone and switching back and forth between the phone screen and big screen is kind of amazing.

Windows Hello is good. Not sure if it's beter than finger print.

Battery life is good. I use Windows Hello, Hey Cortana, bluetooth is always on for my Microsoft Band 2, Glance is always on and still I get trough to the day. Can always be better, ofcourse.

Best things of Lumia 950 XL are still in my opinion wireless charging and glance. Glance seems to be underrated, even by the competition, but it's so great to just glance and your phone and see if you have any messages.

Some stupid things: No double tap to wake (really MS? Why would you remove such a great feature), no high sensitivity screen (although I was never able to type on my Lumia 925 with gloves on), sometimes randomly reboots, sometimes randomly disconnects with my Band, screen brightness is not optimal when set on automatic (even on 100%. Disable automatic and it almost burns out your eyes), take a while before you can edit a photo (because the device is optimizing the picture).

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My small review:

The phone is really great, it is not a "fancy look" phone, it is more a "sober" phone, I guess it is not for youth. It is a well build phone, do not feel cheap and it is really fast.

The screen is GREAT, it is better than my 1520 screen, the blacks are really black, the colors are great, and 2K videos looks gorgeous.

The camera, after some tests, is better than my 1520 and 1020, except resolution (vs 1020). the videos are great but you need to set the focus to manual (tap on the screen).

Windows 10 Mobile runs so smooth, and except some apps (WP8.x apps) everything open and run quick. the screen helps a lot and I can't go back to WP8.x after using W10M on my L950XL.

Games runs fine and the phone runs warms if it is a heavy game (for example Asphalt 8), just don't charge at the same time than playing games because the battery will be hot.

Windows Hello is a must for me, really, I love it, it works 99% of the time, just you need to scan your eyes for most light conditions. It is not as fast as fingerprint scanners, but it works and it looks cool xD

The battery life is shorter than my 1520, that's true, but I can reach the 10-12 hours easily. I have a portable battery if I want to extend the battery charge.

IMHO it is the best Windows device (phone), it runs Windows 10 like a champ, has the best camera on any windows device, has all the Windows 10 Mobile features, looks good and it is cool.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
First Impressions
The box it came in was nice, its similar to the Surface ones. I was happy to see a headphone included in the box since most of the unboxing videos I saw doesn't include one. Although I'd be happier if it was an in-ear headphone. There are also two USB-C charging cables which is nice. Now I can leave one in the car.

Build Impressions
Again, most videos I saw said it was cheap. Do I think its cheap? Nope. But I would say I love the plastic self-healing backs of the LG V10. The plastic cover is not that bad, it has a matte feel to it. The buttons are a bit sharp but very responsive. I don't like the warping on the screen and that tiny microphone hole located on the bottom left of the screen. Aside from those little annoyances, I don't feel like I'm holding a cheap phone. Because knowing that I'm holding a device with USB-C, Gorilla Glass 4, Quad HD, 2TB-capable microSD slot, dual sim, iris scanner, Snapdragon 810 with heat dissipating system, 3GB ram, removable battery, wireless charging, NFC, dual antenna, 20mp and 5mp camera, f/1.9 aperture, triple led flash, etc. How many phones, got all of these in one? None. Was it worth the price? Totally! Is it a flagship? Yes! Is it premium? Yes! Just look at people with their iPhones and Galaxies. They have screen protectors and thick "PLASTIC" cases that hides the real beauty of their phone.

Battery Life
It was horrendous for the first few days and I thought of returning it. But I think it was downloading/updating in the background since I synched my emails, updating apps, photos, OneDrive, etc. Once those are done, and a couple of charging cycles, it will eventually be better. Then the firmware update came and it improved drastically. The quick charger is very helpful.

Camera
Superb! Before the 950XL, I had the 720, 1020, and 1520. I was blown away by the 1020 but it was slow and the screen is small. When I bought the 1520, the screen was bigger, but it made me miss the 1020's camera. The first time I took a picture using the 950XL, I knew right there and then, that I made a good purchase. I brought out my Olympus PEN E-PL7 mirrorless camera and compared it with the 950XL, and guess what? I'm selling the Olympus. Its that great. I compared it with my girlfriend's 6 Plus in low light and I was amazed by how far ahead Microsoft's imaging team is. I also borrowed by sister's Galaxy S6 and the results are the same. I've watched various comparison videos and even spent hours using Gsmarena's comparison tool, and no one ever came on top of the 950XL. The flash in tandem with rich capture works wonderful.

Windows Hello
It works great. A lot of users/reviewers are complaining about how awkward it is to hold the phone in front of your face to unlock it. Well they haven't tinkered with the phone that much. They were probably given review units, tried each feature once, and then called it a day. I trained Windows Hello to work in different angles so I have no problem unlocking my phone at chest level.

Reboots
I've had about 5 random reboots. But ever since the firmware update and upgrading to the latest insider preview, it hasn't happened yet.

Creaking Noise
Unnoticeable. Mine doesn't creak much.

Heat
Sometimes it gets hot, but not too hot.

Overall, I know I made the right purchase. I feel "good and happy" using this phone. And that feeling is what makes it feel premium for me.

GizmoX

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
It?s nice to know that there?s a site for Lumia 950Xl. I can finally share what I?ve experience for the past couple of months and what I am experiencing now. But first let me tell a little bit about me and how I use my Mobile Phone.
I received my Lumia 950XL last December 12, 2015. I ordered it last Nov. 28, 2015 in Vodafone Shop (but wasn?t available). I use my Mobile phone listening to Music (when I?m at the Gym), Chat, play some games (when there?s a time), use it as an alarm and reminder of tasks and schedules and of course for calling. My previous Mobile phone was (or is) a Samsung S4 and I?m sure everyone knows that?s an Android Phone.
Let me Start outside of the phone. The power button and the volume up and down is perfectly placed. Compare to Samsung, I still accidentally hit the power and lock the screen. The 8.2mm (0.32 in) thin looks and feels pretty neat. The ?Gorilla Glass 3? sucks on Lumia 950XL. Sorry to say this but my Samsung flew more than twice and just gave me dents, dropped flat facing glass more than twice and no scratch or nothing happened. My Lumia was just in front of my pocket jeans and the Glass already cracked. Called the Lumia Support, everything I said was just a fairy tale and have to pay about 125? to repair. Cause of the crack my warranty is cancelled. Great Lumia thanks!
Camera: No doubt the cameras are great! Since I have the Lumia 950XL I haven?t touched my DSLR Camera. The Live pictures are nice and fun. But sometimes it doesn?t work (haven?t figure it out yet). Lots of time I have to wait before I can view or zoom the Image. The Videos stutters when it?s save to MicroSD card even though I have a fast MicroSD card. I recommend to save your Videos in the System itself.
When the Screen is locked and needed a quick shot of a photo, sometimes the camera button on the side of phone just won?t react or work. Lots of time I need to unlock the screen first but then the moments are gone 
Power: Battery life is not bad. Sometimes I don?t need to charge it for a day (maybe because kept going back to my S4).
Windows Hello: It?s still BETA as of now and I hope they are working on it. It needs more improvement. Lots of time it doesn?t recognize you, specially while you?re walking. Many times it keeps asking to move closer??I don?t want to kiss my Mobile phone, I need it to recognize me!?, I turned it off again cause typing your pin is much faster.
APPS: This is supposed to be an Octacore Processor! I don?t feel or see it! My S4 is still much faster using the same APP.
Like I said I use my Mobile phone as an alarm too?cause of the sounds are overwhelming while it?s waking you?but those are worthless if it doesn?t wake you up. Since I have my Lumia 950XL. I was late for work for more than twice in a month cause it didn?t woke me up. At first I thought it was my fault. It just didn?t went off?but the display says snooze and dismiss?great!
Top left of the display comes an Icon that you have a push. So I will scroll down and tap one of the messages or push. When I?m done reading or already seen the message in a chat. The pushes are still there although I?ve already seen the message. I have to clear them all first. But when I clear them all and go back to my Start page. The Icon on top left of display is still there. Lots of time it?s annoying cause I keep finding myself dragging down the screen for nothing.
I?ve already experienced System got stuck, crash down while watching Youtube, restarting by itself (no update). When I want to recharge my phone while it is off it keeps restarting by itself, WHY?
What happened to the Universal App they are talking at the presentation?!...anyway all in all, I don?t think my next Mobile phone would be a Lumia nor a Windows phone, if nothing improves or change. Until now I keep finding myself grabbing my Android TAB or Phone cause of the Apps I use and need every day. I use the Lumia just for calling or sometimes pictures, that?s it...
Nowadays your Mobile phone is like your companion or a friend, reminding you, showing you, entertain you etc? Lumia 950XL is just a friend that keeps leaving you hanging.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
It?s nice to know that there?s a site for Lumia 950Xl. I can finally share what I?ve experience for the past couple of months and what I am experiencing now. But first let me tell a little bit about me and how I use my Mobile Phone.
I received my Lumia 950XL last December 12, 2015. I ordered it last Nov. 28, 2015 in Vodafone Shop (but wasn?t available). I use my Mobile phone listening to Music (when I?m at the Gym), Chat, play some games (when there?s a time), use it as an alarm and reminder of tasks and schedules and of course for calling. My previous Mobile phone was (or is) a Samsung S4 and I?m sure everyone knows that?s an Android Phone.
Let me Start outside of the phone. The power button and the volume up and down is perfectly placed. Compare to Samsung, I still accidentally hit the power and lock the screen. The 8.2mm (0.32 in) thin looks and feels pretty neat. The ?Gorilla Glass 3? sucks on Lumia 950XL. Sorry to say this but my Samsung flew more than twice and just gave me dents, dropped flat facing glass more than twice and no scratch or nothing happened. My Lumia was just in front of my pocket jeans and the Glass already cracked. Called the Lumia Support, everything I said was just a fairy tale and have to pay about 125? to repair. Cause of the crack my warranty is cancelled. Great Lumia thanks!
Camera: No doubt the cameras are great! Since I have the Lumia 950XL I haven?t touched my DSLR Camera. The Live pictures are nice and fun. But sometimes it doesn?t work (haven?t figure it out yet). Lots of time I have to wait before I can view or zoom the Image. The Videos stutters when it?s save to MicroSD card even though I have a fast MicroSD card. I recommend to save your Videos in the System itself.
When the Screen is locked and needed a quick shot of a photo, sometimes the camera button on the side of phone just won?t react or work. Lots of time I need to unlock the screen first but then the moments are gone 
Power: Battery life is not bad. Sometimes I don?t need to charge it for a day (maybe because kept going back to my S4).
Windows Hello: It?s still BETA as of now and I hope they are working on it. It needs more improvement. Lots of time it doesn?t recognize you, specially while you?re walking. Many times it keeps asking to move closer??I don?t want to kiss my Mobile phone, I need it to recognize me!?, I turned it off again cause typing your pin is much faster.
APPS: This is supposed to be an Octacore Processor! I don?t feel or see it! My S4 is still much faster using the same APP.
Like I said I use my Mobile phone as an alarm too?cause of the sounds are overwhelming while it?s waking you?but those are worthless if it doesn?t wake you up. Since I have my Lumia 950XL. I was late for work for more than twice in a month cause it didn?t woke me up. At first I thought it was my fault. It just didn?t went off?but the display says snooze and dismiss?great!
Top left of the display comes an Icon that you have a push. So I will scroll down and tap one of the messages or push. When I?m done reading or already seen the message in a chat. The pushes are still there although I?ve already seen the message. I have to clear them all first. But when I clear them all and go back to my Start page. The Icon on top left of display is still there. Lots of time it?s annoying cause I keep finding myself dragging down the screen for nothing.
I?ve already experienced System got stuck, crash down while watching Youtube, restarting by itself (no update). When I want to recharge my phone while it is off it keeps restarting by itself, WHY?
What happened to the Universal App they are talking at the presentation?!...anyway all in all, I don?t think my next Mobile phone would be a Lumia nor a Windows phone, if nothing improves or change. Until now I keep finding myself grabbing my Android TAB or Phone cause of the Apps I use and need every day. I use the Lumia just for calling or sometimes pictures, that?s it...
Nowadays your Mobile phone is like your companion or a friend, reminding you, showing you, entertain you etc? Lumia 950XL is just a friend that keeps leaving you hanging.

Its Gorilla Glass 4.

The video to SD card stutter issue was fixed with yesterday's update.

You have to train Hello to recognize you easier. It seem to be faster with the latest update.

There is a trick to the quick camera launch, disable accidental camera launch.

I haven't experienced missing the alarm and lots of people are reporting on that.

I agree that the overall experience on Windows 10 isn't great right now and it isn't doing the 950 XL hardware justice. But I don't know, there is something about its design that made me hate iOS and Android. And the camera is just too good to be true.

GizmoX

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
My bad! I know it's Gorilla Glass 4, just miss typed it. But then again, it still sucks and the Microsoft Lumia Support. I've had it 2 days...2 DAYS, and the glass cracked in my pocket! They sent me a faulty glass and I have to pay for the repair?! No thanks!

I will activate hello again and lets see if the update made it better and about the alarm clock.
Thanks for the tip about the camera.

BirdPics

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
QUESTION! Yesterday my Lumia 930's screen tragically smashed. Now i'm left with a decision, do I spend 180 euros on repairing it and hold out for the 'Surface Phone' or do I buy a 950/xl?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett