10-13-2017 10:21 PM
398 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Any of you folks using yours unlocked on ATT? How's that working out? I am about to make the plunge, just checking.
    I got my 950 XL on day one on Thanksgiving Day at the MS store, they even gave me a new ATT SIM card. I came home, went online activated my new SIM card in less than 5 minutes and I was in business. I had LTE from the start, they had to reactivate my VM but no VVM and I was told they are working on that, still no VVM yet. I love my 950 XL.
    12-16-2015 08:27 AM
    yes, i see you're running insider preview or have had .29 pushed to you - i have not seen it come to my phone yet...
    wonder if thats the difference?
    Bro the difference is in firmware.
    12-16-2015 09:16 AM
    Bro the difference is in firmware.
    go to account.microsoft.com
    and then click on your phone - what do you see next to your phone on that subsequent screen?
    i see reset protection status...
    it seems this is a part of windows 10 mobile - which is the OS not the phone firmware

EDIT:
    also see link below from microsoft india website to the security features of the 950XL in India...
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=EPe0PfSd
    12-16-2015 09:30 AM
    go to account.microsoft.com
    and then click on your phone - what do you see next to your phone on that subsequent screen?
    i see reset protection status...
    it seems this is a part of windows 10 mobile - which is the OS not the phone firmware

EDIT:
    also see link below from microsoft india website to the security features of the 950XL in India...
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=lT0nXiPe
    I checked in my accounts page bro I don't see anything related to reset protection. I have option to find my phone or remove or find accessories. There is a option to check the status of reset protection. I did check with my IMEI and obviously it was showing there is no reset protection as its not enabled. Also the link you provided is not working
    12-16-2015 09:51 AM
    I checked in my accounts page bro I don't see anything related to reset protection. I have option to find my phone or remove or find accessories. There is a option to check the status of reset protection. I did check with my IMEI and obviously it was showing there is no reset protection as its not enabled. Also the link you provided is not working
    try this link - seems windows central forum is messing with the link i put in... click on the link then take out the forum.windowscentral.com part...
    microsoft.com/en-in/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl-dual-sim/specifications/#head_device-security
    12-16-2015 10:37 AM
    try this link - seems windows central forum is messing with the link i put in... click on the link then take out the forum.windowscentral.com part...
    microsoft.com/en-in/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl-dual-sim/specifications/#head_device-security
    bro i have contacted customer support and they said its not available in India. i am really sad with this. paying around Rs 50000 and you dont have features that are already part of windows 8.1 update 2.
    12-17-2015 06:37 AM
    bro i have contacted customer support and they said its not available in India. i am really sad with this. paying around Rs 50000 and you dont have features that are already part of windows 8.1 update 2.
    interesting - wonder why that is the case in india... its mandated here in the US now.
    12-17-2015 07:47 AM
    Just got my 950XL in the mail today from the UK. Loved the packaging. Unboxing it was pretty simple. However, I'm not terribly thrilled with the build quality. Everyone was right, the plastic back gives this phone a cheap feel. I had considerable problems taking the back cover off. I was terribly afraid I'd break it. But, once off, I was able to easily access the sim port and the micro sd port. And I love finally being able to replace the battery! For as much as I loved the 920 and 1520, this was my only criticism I had for both those devices. I also had the hyper sensitive screen issue that was fixed with a reflash on my 1520. I guess if the sacrifice for that had to be made for a replaceable battery was the solid poly-carbonate case, then I can live with it.

I also had an issue seating Sim card. It would not snap in place and I was afraid I would damage the card. Luckily I was able to get the batter in to hold enough in place that I don't have an issue yet. I guess I'll go in to AT&T and see what they can do in the near future. So, my initial impression was a bit of a disappointment for having spent so much money on it.

But then I put my phone on my old 900 charging plate I have at work, and it powered up. Yay! Qi wireless charging was back. Take that AT&T! Setup was very simple, backup from my 1520 restored quickly. Got my phone linked to my Microsoft account, my email set up, all my aps started installing, it was incredibly simple process. Great job Microsoft.

After I got all that started, I was able to looking around on the phone. This display is incredible. It's much brighter and sharper than my 1520. I pulled up the camera ap and was blown away with the image. The camera is a huge improvement. Set up Hello, and it works great, but it still feels kind of weird holding up my camera to my face so close. MS really needs to work on this so it's not so awkward. In fact, Hello works much better then I expected.

This phone is really snappy. On my 1520 with the W10 preview installed, I was plagued with resuming, and opening delays. This phone is almost instantaneous. Everything seems so much faster. I played some candy crush and it just felt like a totally different ap.

The phone tends to get warm when on the charging plate. But that can be expected. I can't say much about battery life yet. I haven't even gotten it to 100% yet, and I have had it for less then a day. I'll be able to comment on that over the weekend.

All in all, I'm happy with this phone. But I have concerns and it deals with the construction of the device. I keep my phone in my front pocket, and for the first time, I'm actually worried about cracking or bending it. I guess I'll head to BestBuy this weekend to see what kind of case I can get for it. I'm thrilled that I finally got Qi back. I really missed it when I moved to the 1520. The display is superb, one of the best I've ever seen on a phone. It's incredibly fast. I really am hoping for a long honeymoon period on this device.
    12-17-2015 08:05 PM
    Got my Lumia 950Xl DS in Dubai for approx. $638 on the 16th of December. Phone feels great. Quite large coming from 920 but exactly what I always wanted. Pretty light since no metal used. Screen is brilliant. Software is quick but has big room for improvement. Windows hello works perfect when my glasses are off but struggles a bit with glasses on. It even worked with powered sunglasses. Works in pitch dark environment too.

Now for the no so good impressions. Battery seems to be shaking inside the phone. It stops when pressing the battery cover. Small squeaks near the corners of the phone. This makes me appreciate the lumia 920 and 1520 for how perfectly fit it was. The phone does not charge on my car accessory cr-200 probably because the coil placement in both the products. Phone gets hot when used extensively. Not just the back, infact the screen glass is more hot than the back.

Overall a great phone. Hoping for more software/app updates so the phone can use its potential.
    My rating is 8.5/10
    12-19-2015 03:38 AM
    Well...

I've sold my 1520, which I used for phone duty, along with my 1020 (With grip) that's been my camera for a long time.

Staff meal last night... Results?

Less than perfect. I simply left the settings, as I did with the 1020, at the default. The videos aren't the best with most of the photos being quite good. All in all I'd actually like my 1020 back as the 950xl camera simply isn't as good (IMO).

Let's hope software updates improve things.
    12-19-2015 09:56 AM
    My Lumia 950 XL just arrived yesterday.
    img-20151220-wa0001.jpg
    img-20151220-wa0002.jpg
    img-20151220-wa0003.jpg

First impressions:
    1.- I love the quality of the plastic, it seems great in my hand! My wife says is same as Lumia 640XL ..... forgive her....she's Samsung fan.
    2.- The screen is amazing, the colors, the brightness, best.
    3.- I had to charge it three times yesterday as i was downloading apps and stuff...today all day working and it got home with 40%, hope will get better.
    4.- It gets extremely hot when plugin in charger...mostly when is getting from 25-55%
    5.- I had to "register" to Iris Scanner like 20 times...now it does the job amazingly even in a dark place and also with sunglasses on.
    6.- It was really hard to get the last build installed, also market was really buggy.
    7.- The earphones are pretty awesome, i expected really less. They surprised me.
    8.- Had problems with my Sim Card, had to restart 4 times to get it configured.
    9.- Notification about low storage solved with last build 10586.36 , i had it on fast ring.
    10.- The camera works great, i'm a really bad photographer but...it gets the job done pretty good. Also i have to mention, i was having some video recording issues (like cam vids playing in slow motion or being cutted), it's solved now...i guess.

Also i want to mention, i hate that sound when playing stuff...it's like...a...POP...after listening to something. My lumia 820 had it, hope Microsoft solve it soon. Also the "case sound" like creaky...i solved it thanks to that WC post...with some scotch tape. Hey Microsoft, we need double tap function...now. WhatsApp is really buggy, i know it's app related...

So, in a resume. It's a great great phone, i love it. And i have the sensation that this is improving as we speak, hope so.

P.D. I can't get my free dock offer...hope it appears soon.
    12-20-2015 12:21 AM
    I didn't jump on the 950XL immediately, but decided after reading reviews to buy one unlocked. It's been three weeks now that I've been checking the Microsoft Store every day, and all it says is they'll email me when the phones are available again. And yet I see these headlines: "950XL now on sale in Jordan," along with country after country. How is it that they have enough to sell to all these other countries, and have none for weeks in the US? I'm getting tired of waiting.
    12-20-2015 10:54 PM
    So I pick up at 9:50 XL at the Microsoft store here in San Diego yesterday. I previously had an iPhone 6 S plus, and I currently have a LG V10., but after having all Windows Phones leading up to that (920, 1020, 1520) I just had to try the 950 XL. On unboxing I put on the insider build, I'm now up to the highest fast ring level. Everything seems to be working great, I haven't had any hang up's, the battery seems to work just fine, no restarts, and I love being back in Windows Phone. I'm gonna take some camera samples tomorrow alongside the V 10 Just to see what's happening. I've read that many are having troubles with a 950 XL, maybe I just got lucky with this version. I use Hulu Plus on a trip, about 2 hours worth of Seinfeld without any problems. Hooked up great to my Ford sync. I was even able to use Hey Cortana and send some texts via car Bluetooth. I'm also using the ring central doorbell software that is universal, and it seems to work better than the iphone or android version which is rare. Band 2 connected without a hitch.
    Will update in a week, but as of today I am happy to be home on my 950xl ๐Ÿ˜€.
    fdruid, WoodyPWX and maevinj like this.
    12-22-2015 03:35 AM
    Great news. Hope things continue to go well. I've really enjoyed mine for the past three weeks or so.
    12-22-2015 03:37 AM
    Just wait until you get the delayed notification syndrome with your Band 2. Sometimes it will even redeliver alerts previously sent for no good reason!
    12-22-2015 09:24 AM

Blame your carrier, they are the one who must activate it.
    12-27-2015 11:36 AM
    I loved my XL for the weekend I had it and still dream about it but alas, I had to return it. I need wifi calling(I work in the basement of a hospital) and knew the XL didn't have it but I was hoping for a miracle that it would get reception, but nope. No luck.

I wound up getting an iphone but I still keep looking for a chance to sell it and get an XL again.
    12-29-2015 12:35 PM
    I loved my XL for the weekend I had it and still dream about it but alas, I had to return it. I need wifi calling(I work in the basement of a hospital) and knew the XL didn't have it but I was hoping for a miracle that it would get reception, but nope. No luck.

I wound up getting an iphone but I still keep looking for a chance to sell it and get an XL again.
    How to use Wifi calling and Voice recording on the Lumia 950 XL - WMPoweruser
    12-29-2015 03:21 PM

How to use Wifi calling and Voice recording on the Lumia 950 XL - WMPoweruser
    12-29-2015 03:22 PM
    Hai!

Got my 950XL yesterday whilst on holiday in Rovaniemi(Lapland)/ Finland.

I switched from my Xperia Z2 which had gotten green pixels and blue areas on its screen. Booting up the device and setting it up seemed quite fast at first, but then ran into problems with installing apps , especially with the Lumia offers as i did with getting contacts from old phone.

This all ended up with 2-6 gmail links in contacts now, needed phone restored for Offers to work and headache with some apps.

Now that ive gotten the phone to work (still the gmail "links" showing in contacts), everything installed im pretty happy with my first ever Windows phone. Im hoping for this platform to go forward, loving the phones size and feel to it, camera is fantastic. Overall satisfied.
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    12-30-2015 07:43 AM
    Thanks, I'm on tmobile and the last time I tried and checked it wasn't available.
    12-30-2015 10:16 AM
    Picked up my 950 XL from the Microsoft store on December 20th. Just got an email today from Microsoft my dock is being sent out. I am excited to try continuum. Been using Windows Phone since the beginning, but switched over to iOS and Android with the lack of a true flagship. As a basketball coach on the way to the game I found out the game site changed, being able to send and receive text messages over my blue tooth in my car without having to pull the car over is exact reason why Windows Phone is better than all the rest period. I can understand why Android and iOS don't have this feature in their phones, it's the main reason I keep going back to Windows Phone again and again. I can live with a shortage of apps, just use moble sites. But I can't deal with not being able to send text from my car Bluetooth. Let's hope Windows 10 moble catches on in 2016 ๐ŸŽ†
    12-30-2015 05:39 PM
    Why doesn't someone do this. Those full body skins are to expensive... just want a wide piece of tape.
    On my ipad mini I use one of those "no slip" bathtub sticky things .. They come in different colors and some come in clear but frosted .. I imagine Walmart has a bazillion.
    01-03-2016 11:22 AM
    Got my 950XL on January 4th and love it. As I posted elsewhere, Windows 10 feels much more mature than Windowsphone 8.1 and after some time you just start to appreciate the consistency of the UI's behaviour between your laptop PC and your phone. The AMOLED screen is great, just a tad small coming from a 1520

This phone is a beast, and having used it intensively for the last week, there is nothing major to complain, except maybe Outlook missing Live-Tile notifications from time to time.

I love the design, that "boxy" black policarbonate and the metal ring around the camera gives the device an understated, down-to-business feeling and no, I won't buy a Mozo cover. I like the phone as it is.

Stephen
    01-09-2016 10:19 PM
    I was finally able to order the 950 XL yesterday from Microsoft Canada site. It has been continually sold out since launch. I've requested express shipping so hopefully will see it soon enough. I currently have a Lumia 930 which is a terrific phone running Windows 10 Insider. Since the 930 is great I was not going to bother with a 950 but then the specs got the best of me. Dual-sim capability, expansion SD card, larger AMOLED screen, and supported LTE band for Telus Canada makes it a much nicer daily driver than the 930. So I will keep the 930 as backup when I get the XL.

Impressions to follow...
    01-13-2016 10:15 AM
398 ... 910111213 ...