10-13-2017 10:21 PM
398 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Just use the maps app in windows 10, it has most of the same functions as the nokia suite of apps. Satnav works great from Maps.
    Does the Maps app have public transit, does it show subway and bus stops, and you can tap to show details of those stops? I'm asking because I take public transit daily, and Here maps and Transit are (were?) fantastic in that regard.
    11-29-2015 06:47 AM
    If you restore data from a previous lumia which had HERE suite apps installed, do they get installed on Lumia 950 (or XL)?

I'm asking this because I have all here apps in my Lumia 930. They work just fine with build 10586. If I restore to Lumia 950 XL, will they get installed?

Does the Maps app have public transit, does it show subway and bus stops, and you can tap to show details of those stops? I'm asking because I take public transit daily, and Here maps and Transit are (were?) fantastic in that regard.
    No they don't. If I click a subway station in Windows Maps it won't show the whole subway line/grid as Here Maps does. That is why I need (not need but it would be nice to have...) Here suite installed...
    11-29-2015 08:01 AM
    Too bad that d-bag at the Verge couldn't figure out how to turn up the brightness for his "review". The display on this phone is phenomenal. The camera quality is the same or better as my old 1520, but the camera speed is night and day better.
    11-29-2015 09:48 AM
    Too bad that d-bag at the Verge couldn't figure out how to turn up the brightness for his "review".
    I dislike The Verge as much as anyone, but the average user (even a reviewer on The Verge) should get a good experience without lots of tweaks. Looking at the lists of tips on reducing battery drain MS is not doing a good job of making a good impression on new users. I'm actually kind of curious how Apple is getting things set up without burning a hole in your hand and without draining the battery. Or maybe I just forgot how it works on a new iOS device, because I haven't used one in a while. Anyway, back to discussing the great and wonderful 950XL.
    11-29-2015 10:19 AM
    It does not work vertically on the stand, but it will landscape. The CR 200 car charger does not detect the XL. Damn shame as I use this everyday on the commute to top off my phone.
    so the issue is the position of the QI coil on the phone does not correspond with the coil on the puck?
    11-29-2015 10:38 AM
    Thank you for this sincere quick review.
    I just wanted to ask you about the brightness part of your comment, all of the reviewers said that the screen is dimm, depsite that microsoft mention in their official lumia 950 page that the phone has a "High brightness Mode". so did you found this mode in settings?? and is the screen readable in sunlight (both in automatic and manual mode)??

thank's again,
    Yes the setting is in display for auto brightness. It's on by default. But when you lower the action buttons to change screen brightness it lets you go from 25%-100% much like PC version of windows 10. The problem is changing that 25%-100% has a minimal change when "auto brightness" is enabled. You have to disable it in the display settings then you can change the 25%-100% action button and really see it in action. If you keep the screen clean then it displays fine in the sun. However if it's smudged you may notice more glare. My guess is the light theme would work better in the sun. The less blacks the less reflection I noticed. Though the reflection doesn't stop you from being able to read the text or what not where it's written in white. I still haven't had a super sunny day that I have used this in due to it being close to winter and usually pretty cloudy and freezing here.
    Feres Monsri likes this.
    11-29-2015 11:48 AM
    I'm going to wait a few months to see if the price drops. I'm not ready to committ to Windows 10 mobile, but I'm dying to try the XL as a daily driver.
    11-29-2015 12:54 PM
    First off I love the OS. The buttons are the only thing that feels cheap. That is taken care of as soon as you put a protective case on it. The camera is great. Accessing it through the dedicated camera button works easier than the new iPhone 6s. I was beating my wife to pictures during Thanksgiving and she has the 6s. I have tried Continuum through a wireless display adaptor. Pretty cool. I was streaming video from NBC and able to go back to phone and use EBay app without interupting the show. Every phone has its issues. I am expecting to find some. The only so far is Flash Video doesn't work in the phones Microsoft Edge. No way to turn it on in this version. What this means is the shows on CBS won't play. Other networks must be using HTML5 because they all work fine.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-29-2015 02:44 PM
    Hi!
    I got my 950XL 2 days ago and very disappointed!
    First problem I was getting is notifications, but I found Quiet Hours is enabled by default and set for 24 hours.
    Second problem is no way to configure separate ringtone notification for each email account on the phone. Only one ringtone for all email accounts.
    Third problem is heating the room when using phone for long time or when it is charging. You can keep your coffee warm, using 950XL.
    New problem is MS idea to combine Cortana and SMS laud reading SMS messages over Bluetooth. I never used and never will use Cortana. But from W10 SMS-to-BT doesn't work without Cortana enabled. For Cortana all services, like Location, microphone and many others must be enabled for Cortana to work. It drains battery VERY quick!
    Additional to it, Cortana doesn't like to work with car microphones and couldn't understand commands.
    It would be very nice to be able to disable Bluetooth MAP protocol and prevent phone send SMS messages to the car displays, where driver should switch attention from the road.
    I'm using WP's since 2003 and really like them, but released 950XL pushed me and my friends return phones and continue to use our old 1520's and 920's until MS will make some changes and bug fixes.
    Unfortunately, 950 model is not ready for users yet.
    Last edited by Me Again1; 11-30-2015 at 08:01 AM.
    11-29-2015 06:34 PM
    A quick thanks to the guy who developed Tapatalk Classic for writing such an inefficient app that you can really notice how fast the 950XL is compared to the 1520. "mark all read" used to take four seconds, and now it 'only' takes two! :D
    11-30-2015 07:47 AM
    11-30-2015 07:51 AM
    Just received the phone 3 hours ago. The XL in white, directly from Microsoft Germany. I immediately liked how it feels in the hand and appreciated how much better it looks in reality! I also think 5.7 is a good compromise between size and practicality. I also love the display! It somehow seems soft to the touch and simply looks beautiful! But I also noticed this strange reddish hue when on white backgrounds when I look directly at it. So I turned everything to black and now it looks alright again... Hope this isn't a general hardware problem that Microsoft has on their hands here.

So far I really love it, it's really fast!
    11-30-2015 08:48 AM
    Camera sucks, Nokia gone , Clarity and Build quality Gone , RIP Microsoft mobile.... I expected at least like 1520 camera, But new 950 and 950 XL has poor zoom quality and lot of grainy pixels , Microsoft mobile division will close very soon if they continue to make **** phones like these
    11-30-2015 09:49 AM
    Camera sucks, Nokia gone , Clarity and Build quality Gone , RIP Microsoft mobile.... I expected at least like 1520 camera, But new 950 and 950 XL has poor zoom quality and lot of grainy pixels , Microsoft mobile division will close very soon if they continue to make **** phones like these
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Please post some kind of proof if you want to say something like that. There are lots of photos and videos just on this forum that completely refute what you're saying.
    camptime likes this.
    11-30-2015 10:48 AM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Please post some kind of proof if you want to say something like that. There are lots of photos and videos just on this forum that completely refute what you're saying.
    You're absolutely right! I brought my phone into work today, and people were ooo'ing and awe'ing over how awesome the pics were. "Wow, such high detail!" "Look at how sharp that is!" "That contrast is amazing!" "I've been looking for a better camera on a phone, to take pics of my dogs, and to replace my iphone, and looks like yours is a good option!"

The ONLY thing I don't like, but is easily replaceable, is the replaceable backplate... which is fine, doesn't really bother me at all since I can change it... plus, I bought a case for the phone anyway.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-30-2015 11:15 AM
    I got the the white 950xl with a clear "jelly" case, allows full view of phone.
    11-30-2015 11:30 AM
    I've had my 950XL since day before Thanksgiving. I think the phone is solid. Fit and finish are great. It's not as monocoque and one firm brick like piece as my old 1520 but is a big leap forward into a premier type phone compared to the 640XL I had prior to this. But, what is under the hood when putting it through its paces and multi tasking continuum while remaining a phone.. That's the big deal. And the camera is inarguably one of the best around on a mobile device. Stop comparing it to other platforms and maybe think about the platform Microsoft is creating on its own.. And this is the infant stage. I think it's a great device. Solid in hand. Customizable with more back covers to come. I see nothing wrong. Killer phone.
    11-30-2015 11:45 AM
    I've had my 950XL since day before Thanksgiving. I think the phone is solid. Fit and finish are great. It's not as monocoque and one firm brick like piece as my old 1520 but is a big leap forward into a premier type phone compared to the 640XL I had prior to this. But, what is under the hood when putting it through its paces and multi tasking continuum while remaining a phone.. That's the big deal. And the camera is inarguably one of the best around on a mobile device. Stop comparing it to other platforms and maybe think about the platform Microsoft is creating on its own.. And this is the infant stage. I think it's a great device. Solid in hand. Customizable with more back covers to come. I see nothing wrong. Killer phone.

Not judging the phone here, as I don't have it yet. Still waiting for my order to be processed. I've been a WP user since 2010, and using WM prior to this.. But this "infant" argument doesn't cut it anymore. It's been 5 years now and Windows 10 is the 2nd complete reboot and overhaul - not counting the shift from WM to WP - so as an OS it should've matured a long time ago already.

WP ain't bad, it's still my favorite pick over iOS and Android, but that's mostly due to its aesthetics. In terms of speed and reliability, it's not better than iOS. In terms of customizability it's behind Android. And in terms of apps and built in features, it's behind both.

Microsoft introduced unique features and abilities, but slowly removed each of them with every new version they provided. Many of them were ditched in favor of a more app centric approach that would allow updates on an app basis without having to deliver entire OS updates. But many others have been removed for no comprehensible reason at all. Live tiles for data sense, storage sense and battery sense? All gone. Geo fencing for automatically turning WiFi back on when you're near any favorite places? Gone as well.

If Microsoft keeps on rebooting WP or WM over and over, it'll never grow out of its infancy and turn into the real competitor for Android and iOS it's desperately trying to be.

For us die hard fans, WM 10 and the 950XL may be great, but they're obviously not a reason for any Android or iPhone user to switch from their ecosystem to ours.
    Jeddic likes this.
    11-30-2015 01:07 PM
    Picked up my black 950XL from a Microsoft store around 11:30am Black Friday. First impressions are as follows:

-Purchase at store was fast and easy, though there were no 950XL display models and the rep had to see if the phone was in stock
    -Before initial setup, I inserted my micro- SIM and SD cards into the phone before powering on
    -SIM recognized without issue (including LTE bands), but SD card wasn't recognized during setup and I had to restart phone in order to recognize it
    -Downloading all my synced apps and the updates takes some time (~120 apps to sync)
    -Some apps exhibit bugs/quirks under Windows 10 (eg. Pocket Casts, Age of Kings Castle Siege) that didn't exist under Windows Phone 8.1. Restarting and/or reinstalling the app helps in some instances, in others it does not. As more apps are made for Windows 10, should become better
    -Hello iris recognition works very well, generally, with approximately 1 second wait time when holding 6-10 inches from my face. It has recognized me while wearing sunglasses, as well. Spend time during it's initial setup (or soon after) to use the "training" feature in various light conditions (incandescent, natural light, darkness/shadows) and from various distances
    -Phone gets a distributed warmth, but not hot, while under load (ex. downloading many app updates)
    -Camera seems excellent in the limited tests I have done thus far
    -Back plate is very difficult to pry off during initial insertion of SIM/SD cards
    -Back plate doesn't feel too flimsy, but it does not lend a premium feel either. Will replace with Mozo backplate
    -Phone is only 0.2oz heavier than my HTC One M8 (weighed on scale). It feels lighter though because it is larger
    -Narrow bezels keep the overall footprint down; not too much larger than the 5" HTC One M8
    -Windows 10 still has a few hiccups (mostly with Windows Phone 8.1 apps) but offers many improvements in day-to-day activities; Windows 10 universal apps are welcome
    -Battery life seems good but it is hard to judge as during the first few days of setup there are many app downloads and updates to run
    -USB-C charges much faster than standard micro-USB phones

I will make sure to post a more comprehensive review after a few more days of use, but I wanted to get some info out there for those still trying to decide. I am definitely pleased with my purchase thus far.
    11-30-2015 01:26 PM
    Got it, love it, wanna marry it! Oh and I did get in on the Display Dock offer. Will be at least a week or three before it shows up I imagine. I know some of them are shipping already. It's great news.
    Joe920 and camptime like this.
    11-30-2015 01:30 PM
    Picked up my 950XL at Microsoft Store along with the Lenovo PC stick on Saturday. After restoring a backup from my 920, it's been running pretty good. It is a little buggy, scrolling isn't as smooth as it should be and sometimes it takes a while just load the Start or launcher screen. Somewhat happy with it. Will post more later, but just wanted to add my $.02 for now.
    11-30-2015 01:59 PM
    I just set up my 950 XL. Because of what I've read with the AT&T LTE issues, I installed my SIM before turning on and setting up the phone. I am happy to report that I DO have LTE service on my 950 XL with AT&T.
    I had an issue ordering the free dock. The Lumia Offers app would not complete my request. I called customer service and they processed my free order on the phone. No issues.
    Visual Voicemail is not working. I can retrieve voicemail and get the icon that I have one waiting, however no VVM.
    SMS message indicator does not go away from the live tile after message is read.
    Missed call indicator on the live tile doesn't go away when I open the phone app.
    I am now installing and updating apps. More to come....
    libra89 and geekladyemjay like this.
    11-30-2015 02:02 PM
    Your couple niche issues mean the 950 is not ready for users? Get real. I have none of your issues. Quiet hours wasn't on by default, I don't want separate email ringtones, my phone doesn't get hot (I had a 920, I know hot), I like Cortana and don't see a large change in battery life with or without it, and Cortana works fine with my car's mic. Why would you need to look at any display of SMS when Cortana will read the text aloud?

Your issues are pretty specific to you, not "users".
    11-30-2015 03:24 PM
    You lost all credibility at "Camera sucks". This camera is downright awesome and I've already killed my friend's photos in the same conditions. It wasn't even as close as reviews suggested. Each time, EVERYONE involved has preferred the 950's photos.
    11-30-2015 03:28 PM
    Have only had the phone for about an hour, and I absolutely love it!

Build is great, performance is snappy, love the camera and screen. It's like my dream device!
    kiteless, libra89, jmajid and 3 others like this.
    11-30-2015 04:22 PM
398 ... 56789 ...