[Quick Impressions] Who Just Got The Lumia 950 XL?

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As a former L920 & L830 user, I like the 950XL. I find the phone performing fantastically. Battery life is always an issue but I live with that. The battery life of my 950XL is comparable to what I was getting on the 830. Everything, and I do mean everything, is fast! The camera blows away anything I've ever used before.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I got my display dock. And it's pretty cool no doubt, but what really annoys me is that the phone must stay on while using continuum. I can't turn off the screen as the continuum stops working, even though it's acting as nothing more than a touch pad. For me, the biggest gripe is that it's an amoled screen and I want to avoid burn in as much as possible. Sitting for a long time on continuum is likely not helping the situation. I'm definitely going to be sending some feedback regarding that.

Other than that it is cool no doubt but I prefer my desktop. I just connected the dock to my tv and it works best there. The only weird part is when I connect it to my TV it asks if I would like "wired or wireless". And it says under wireless "connect dock to tv and then connect wirelessly". But then when I do that the phone searches and doesn't find a device to connect to. Not sure how that works. My guess is the dock is supposed to work as a miracast receiver as well.

Also a lot of apps/games that were claimed to be universal are not universal at all. This includes the weather channel, candy crush games, trivia crack. I think they are universal windows 8.1 games possibly.

Some apps are genuine like appraisin, baconit, readit, etc.. So it's pretty neat using all those. Nice to text with a keyboard too. But yah until we get a lot of universal apps it's just not really worth connecting it unless you're writing some word documents on the go or want to watch some movies while still using your phone and what not.

Andreas_R

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Got mine today in Norway.

• Build quality seems great. People saying otherwise are receiving defect units (IMO).
  • Migration from 930 took about 2 hours to complete with some battery drain (OFC).
  • Battery is seems very good now after spending about 8 hours with it.
  • Windows Hello is superb. No issues at all.
  • Screen is fantastic. Colors can be somewhat washed out compared to 930.
  • The phone is 4G+ enabled.
  • Very fast.
  • Rear speaker is utter crap.
  • Charging is super fast.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Andreas_R, You said your rear speaker is utter crap...what makes you say that? The reason I ask is because I have noticed that on my 950XL that if I have the volume on high, that I hear a distinct slapping sound (after the usual and expected sound) emitting from the back speaker when dialing a phone number, or putting the phone into sleep mode. Is this what you are experiencing? Thanks!

and FTR, I love this phone...just trying to iron out some idiosyncrasies.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Just received the phone 3 hours ago. The XL in white, directly from Microsoft Germany. I immediately liked how it feels in the hand and appreciated how much better it looks in reality! I also think 5.7 is a good compromise between size and practicality. I also love the display! It somehow seems soft to the touch and simply looks beautiful! But I also noticed this strange reddish hue when on white backgrounds when I look directly at it. So I turned everything to black and now it looks alright again... Hope this isn't a general hardware problem that Microsoft has on their hands here.

So far I really love it, it's really fast!

Hey There,

I also noticed this reddis hue, dunno why... anyway have you noticed if you tilt the device the screen changes the colour? I mean its prolly because of the angle, but weird a bit

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Quick impression after playing with it for a few hours...

- I came from the HTC one series (so comparing the alu unibody to the plastic body will not be fair)
- The body, even though its not alu, it is still great and feels good in the hand.
- Display amazing (but the reddish hue on the white is interesting and the viewing angles are not that great from color perspective)
- Android vs Windows well, some apps are faster on Android some on Windows.... I can still live with both ...
- Camera....best
- Mic? could not test out :)

its my first win phone...but so far so good : ) great to be here :D

oh yes.... I miss the stereo speakers ...butsony xrs x5 helps me here :D

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey There,

I also noticed this reddis hue, dunno why... anyway have you noticed if you tilt the device the screen changes the colour? I mean its prolly because of the angle, but weird a bit

Yes, it is very weird and it actually makes it seem like a very cheap display :( Reddish tint when looking directly at it, greyish/greenish tint when tilted more towards me and if I look at it from an almost 180* angle, the screen shows all the colours of the rainbow ;-) I hope it won't annoy me so much that I have to send the phone back.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The red tint is more worrying than battery life, for me. I think that the battery is more software than hardware related, and so I expect it will be fixed soon. The display is different, and likely needs replacing. Seems worryingly widespread.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I found something new today, but maybe it is only App related..... Whatsapp records audionote with a deeper voice/pitch

As for the display, I hope its not gonna be a replacement issue.... :(

Feres Monsri

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I got my display dock. And it's pretty cool no doubt, but what really annoys me is that the phone must stay on while using continuum. I can't turn off the screen as the continuum stops working, even though it's acting as nothing more than a touch pad. For me, the biggest gripe is that it's an amoled screen and I want to avoid burn in as much as possible. Sitting for a long time on continuum is likely not helping the situation. I'm definitely going to be sending some feedback regarding that.

Other than that it is cool no doubt but I prefer my desktop. I just connected the dock to my tv and it works best there. The only weird part is when I connect it to my TV it asks if I would like "wired or wireless". And it says under wireless "connect dock to tv and then connect wirelessly". But then when I do that the phone searches and doesn't find a device to connect to. Not sure how that works. My guess is the dock is supposed to work as a miracast receiver as well.

Also a lot of apps/games that were claimed to be universal are not universal at all. This includes the weather channel, candy crush games, trivia crack. I think they are universal windows 8.1 games possibly.

Some apps are genuine like appraisin, baconit, readit, etc.. So it's pretty neat using all those. Nice to text with a keyboard too. But yah until we get a lot of universal apps it's just not really worth connecting it unless you're writing some word documents on the go or want to watch some movies while still using your phone and what not.

thank's again, one of the reasons i am considering buying a lumia 950 is using it as a little gaming console, but i know that there is actually small number of universal apps..
could you precise if there is any universal game that works with continuum ? and if so, is the experience smooth?? and is watching videos and films also smooth?

thank's again

Gustav A

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Got mine yesterday (Sweden).

I love, love, love this device. It's smart, sleek, and powerful as hell. I've had zero issues; the back casing was a bit tricky for me to pry off, and the phone restarted once for no apparent reason. But everything seems great otherwise. Acceptable warmth build-up while it's charging, battery is doing fine and improving, and Hello has a 95% success rate.

I owned a HTC 8X previously, but got a bit disillusioned after a while with the (in my view) rather messy design language of Windows Phone 8/8.1. Switched to Android for a HTC One M8, but finally got pulled back in by Microsoft with Windows 10 and the new devices.

So far incredibly impressed by Windows 10 Mobile. It's so gosh darn clean and elegant compared to Android. No wasted space; better looking UI; and everything just makes more sense.

Thoroughly recommended phone!

Edit:

For good measure, I'll mention my one complaint. After owning the HTC One M8 for a year and a half, the speakers on the Lumia 950 XL feel rather weak. I'm used to listening to podcasts without earphones while doing the dishes and so on, and the M8 was a lot better in that one regard.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why so many people are bashing the speaker. I don't expect high fidelity from a device speaker but I find the speaker quite loud enough for listening to just about anything if you dont need high performance. I have found I get much better performance when the phone is laying on it's back. With the speaker in the back, the raised ring of the camera gives it just the right height to reverb from the surface.

Gustav A

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
For me personally, it's more of an issue of the sound coming off as rather poor overall. If I turn the audio up a bit to make it audible, it begins to remind me of an old record player from 1930. :winktongue:

It does the job just fine in other regards though, like notification and ringtone sounds.

I'll also admit that I'm comparing it to what many consider to be one of the best phones out there in terms of audio quality (the M8), so it's not perhaps entirely fair considering how much else the 950 XL does much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss