[Quick Impressions] Who Just Got The Lumia 950 XL?

Corvodin

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You have to take off the back because it's removable. Neither the 920 nor the 930 had a removable back. And I'd take a removable back over a non removable back any day of the week.

hingethunder

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Each to their own of course. I would take a solid phone over one with a back cover that squeaks making it seem a lot cheaper that the price paid.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Picked mine up yesterday. No squeaks from the back cover, for now at least. Coming from an iPhone 6+ I actually like the feel of it. I don't care that it's not metal, it feels good in the hand to me, doesn't feel cheap, like the Galaxy S2 to 5 all do IMO. It doesn't feel slippery like the 6+, so feels more secure when I hold it.
Each to their own though. I did have a 930 and do get what you mean about how nice it felt with the metal frame, but he 950XL not having any metal in the frame isn't a deal breaker for me.

ergattonero

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Soooo... Eagerly, I bought a Lumia 950XL last thursday. Nice, white, sexy.

I have to admit: it's an understatement-phone. It's not WOW, but it's good in a nice, soft way... Like you were already using it since a long time.

The one thing I am worried about is the battery: it last less then one day. Is it normal?

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Depends on the usage ---the battery I mean...

at the beginning it was also less than a day ( I did not care - Fast charding rules)

but then after the excitement with normal usage (E-mails, some music, some youtube, facebook, whatsapp...reading a bit) I got 56 Hours at a full charge rating.

even at 10 % I got 4 hours and 57 Minutes as an estimated battery life...

obviously it decreases with more and more usage, but 56 hours for stand by it is quite imressive

Adam Chapman1

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Soooo... Eagerly, I bought a Lumia 950XL last thursday. Nice, white, sexy.

I have to admit: it's an understatement-phone. It's not WOW, but it's good in a nice, soft way... Like you were already using it since a long time.

The one thing I am worried about is the battery: it last less then one day. Is it normal?

Experiencing the same thing at the moment. Disabling the glance screen appears to remedy so may leave it disabled until a future SW release..

stonedef

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. I had a few teething problems last night with the new update freezing but I did a full reset and it updated no problem. I've been playing around and setting it up today and so far no problems. Even the battery is doing well, been going 11hrs with still 36% left and that's with me browsing, emails, games, installing apps and generally setting the phone up to how I want it.

So far I have no complaints and its such a big step up from my Lumia 925

cila_thai

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Does this phone support the features from Gestures Beta app? I installed it but it did not work with Win10. I really like the features from the app.

Rasool Shaik

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
My initial Impressions of Lumia 950 Xl (INDIA)

So finally received my Lumia 950 XL yesterday from the Microsoft Priority store. I pre booked it at the Windows Insider event. I got it set up completely and taken a few photos.

These are my impressions:

1. Continuum feature alone is sufficient for you to buy this phone. Sure all apps doesn't work with this feature but we know how this phone was rushed out. Also the SDK were released lately. Lets hope to see more apps and request the developers of our favourite apps for support rather than shouting at Microsoft.
2. Windows Hello will certainly make you feel the phone is from the future. Its not fast but we know its in beta.
3. The camera quality is amazing. I was using 1520 till now. The photos are much better than 1520 at least for me. First thing you should do in the camera app is turn off digital video stabilization. It will ruin OIS when shooting videos if its ON. I don't know why DIS is there when you have OIS on phone. It should be made available to the phones without OIS. In low light pure view shines. The phots are very good.
4. The display quality is pretty Good. Hey I never searched for Pixels on any phone till now :)
5. As Daniel said the phone doesn't get hot but just warm and I only felt it during initial setup and updates. May be liquid is flowing properly :winktongue: to keep it cool
6. Been disappointed to see there was no Phone reset Protection option. I couldn't find it any where. It was supposed to be in Find my phone setting option to best of my knowledge. Let me know if any one else has it. This is essential.
7. The new update is not available for my phone too :(
8. I am Ok with the design of the phone. But Microsoft still can make good accessories to attract people. Yeah they said no but that's strange :(
9. Battery life is good till now. It took lot of time to charge but may be since it was first time.

Yeah there are some IF and BUT. Overall its a great phone and worth the money I spent.

I am a Nokia user. I started my journey with Nokia 1100, then 6085, 3100 C, N 73, C7, Lumia 800, 920, 925, 1520 and Now 950 XL (All black color only)

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Switched from iPhone to Lumia, not happy with my decision though. Some of the key issues -
1 - Gets very very hot while charging and using it for more than 10 mins
2 - Battery life - Okay its fast charging, large battery, but it doesn't last for more than 8-10 hours for me. Now that doesn't complete my day
3 - Overall Windows 10 is still buggy and not a finished product. A few notifications I got and clicked on, didnt turn up anything. Multitasking puts a huge pressure on the phone it freezes and becomes extremely hot. Sometimes I see false notifications on top of the screen, while there is nothing when I slide down.
4 - Camera is actually 16 MP if you are clicking in 16:9 aspect ratio. Even on 4:3 its 19 MP and not 20 as Microsoft claims/sells ( I maybe wrong here, but didn't feel good to see this)
5 - Windows Hello - another joke added by Microsoft against the already established finger print scanner on other devices. Hello is still buggy, doesn't work with glasses on (which is a big no for me) and you look like a fool staring at screen to unlock. I have turned it off and using the good old pass-code typing instead.
6 - Overall build is okay, although doesn't feel like holding a flagship device, but that's more of a personal preference.

I really hope that this phone shows up some value before I decide to dump it over. So far it haven't lived up-to its expectations.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
To anyone else with Hello Beta turned on so you can sign in just by looking at the device, when you first start up does it force you to sign in using your pin? Mine will use the iris scanner every time after that but not on first sign in when you turn the device on.

atrsh

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Received mine yesterday. And oh my this phone is HUGE coming from a L925 and L620. But still fits in my pockets fine even when I'm just 5'3". I'm totally loving the snappiness of W10M on this phone so far. But it will not be my daily driver yet until this Tuesday since I need to get a nano sim replacement for it. That Iris scanner is SO COOL! It works even when I'm wearing glasses or in total darkness.

To anyone else with Hello Beta turned on so you can sign in just by looking at the device, when you first start up does it force you to sign in using your pin? Mine will use the iris scanner every time after that but not on first sign in when you turn the device on.

Yes I need to use the pin to log in after reboot everytime.

stephanejap

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: My initial Impressions of Lumia 950 Xl (INDIA)

So finally received my Lumia 950 XL yesterday from the Microsoft Priority store. I pre booked it at the Windows Insider event. I got it set up completely and taken a few photos.

These are my impressions:

1. Continuum feature alone is sufficient for you to buy this phone. Sure all apps doesn't work with this feature but we know how this phone was rushed out. Also the SDK were released lately. Lets hope to see more apps and request the developers of our favourite apps for support rather than shouting at Microsoft.
2. Windows Hello will certainly make you feel the phone is from the future. Its not fast but we know its in beta.
3. The camera quality is amazing. I was using 1520 till now. The photos are much better than 1520 at least for me. First thing you should do in the camera app is turn off digital video stabilization. It will ruin OIS when shooting videos if its ON. I don't know why DIS is there when you have OIS on phone. It should be made available to the phones without OIS. In low light pure view shines. The phots are very good.
4. The display quality is pretty Good. Hey I never searched for Pixels on any phone till now :)
5. As Daniel said the phone doesn't get hot but just warm and I only felt it during initial setup and updates. May be liquid is flowing properly :winktongue: to keep it cool
6. Been disappointed to see there was no Phone reset Protection option. I couldn't find it any where. It was supposed to be in Find my phone setting option to best of my knowledge. Let me know if any one else has it. This is essential.
7. The new update is not available for my phone too :(
8. I am Ok with the design of the phone. But Microsoft still can make good accessories to attract people. Yeah they said no but that's strange :(
9. Battery life is good till now. It took lot of time to charge but may be since it was first time.

Yeah there are some IF and BUT. Overall its a great phone and worth the money I spent.

I am a Nokia user. I started my journey with Nokia 1100, then 6085, 3100 C, N 73, C7, Lumia 800, 920, 925, 1520 and Now 950 XL (All black color only)

Reset Protection is now in Find My Phone under Update & Security... I also am loving this phone and agree with most of your bullet points. You should check out MozoAccessories.com. I got that leather back cover and even the guys at my local MS store are going bananas for it!!!

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Got mine Friday. First thoughts:

Only time it's gotten warm is when I first started it up and later when I was reinstalling all my apps. That said, I haven't used it super-heavily yet (my definition of super-heavily, anyway).

Battery seems about what I'd expect for my usage. Everyone always talks about light, medium and heavy usage, but that's quite subjective. It doesn't seem much worse than what I got on my 640 with W10M (W10M on the 640 wasn't as good as 8.1. 10586.29 helped). Longer term usage will tell.

Windows Hello works great for me - even with my glasses on. I have progressive lenses and it works fine. I occasionally have to move it a little closer, but I don't feel like I have to move it unnaturally close. I don't have to look at it with my head up and the phone in front of me. I can hold it in my hand, look down and it recognizes me. I'm wondering if the thickness of people's glasses makes a difference or if people just aren't training it right. Maybe both or other factors?

Using Hey Cortana in my F150 with Sync doesn't seem to work. Cortana listens but doesn't seem to respond. I'll keep trying various functions to see how it works. Music over Bluetooth with Pandora works fine.

Screen is gorgeous. Performance is great.

Just had my first real phone call. Have 2 bars of service and my wife was able to hear me fine and I heard her fine.

No wifi problems at all - hasn't dropped and everything connected as expected.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Any of you folks using yours unlocked on ATT? How's that working out? I am about to make the plunge, just checking.

im using my 950XL on ATT with LTE...
quite an ordeal to get it working - but got it done...
had to use Lumia 640 imei to give to ATT
then waited or that 640 to see LTE
then put sim into 950XL and did a hard reset
did not use wifi during setup - let it do its thing... then in APN settings - setup new APN and then did a trick i saw on here somwhere where you dont apply that APN but then turn data off, then apply the new APN then turn data on.
Wait about 30 mins - LTE popped up then... before that i was only getting Edge(!)
but since then i have had LTE continuously across reboots etc. also and now also at work...

Overall battery life is great - touch wood!
camera is very nice and super responsive - and i love the feature with the auto living images when you take a photo with rich capture on... caught some really cool moments of the family when i wasnt expecting it.. one of my fav features so far.
FYI - i have a 808 Pureview also and comparing to that - this appears comparable in my short time so far but is easier to get a good photo and quicker.
Have not activated Hello yet - but will and post back my thoughts.
Size - was concerned but using it in a wallet case and still not too big for my work pants so thats great.

have been using a DC-50 wireless charger for overnight charging - works great -
have yet to use my iOttie Qi charger for the car...so will need to see how it fits with the side button placement...
i dont mind the button layout - have adapted more or less

Heat: nothing to write about here - was a little warm in intial first setup with downloading 38 app updates, but since then havnt felt it get more than slightly warm.
Screen is very very nice - and large :)
Sound - havnt tried yet
more later once i have had it a few more days - only really been using this since saturday night when i finally got LTE working :)
Speedtest done this morning on ATT LTE at my work - 6Mpbs up and 9 MPbs down... im happy enough - will try at home to compare

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
im using my 950XL on ATT with LTE...
quite an ordeal to get it working - but got it done...
had to use Lumia 640 imei to give to ATT
then waited or that 640 to see LTE
then put sim into 950XL and did a hard reset
did not use wifi during setup - let it do its thing... then in APN settings - setup new APN and then did a trick i saw on here somwhere where you dont apply that APN but then turn data off, then apply the new APN then turn data on.
Wait about 30 mins - LTE popped up then... before that i was only getting Edge(!)
but since then i have had LTE continuously across reboots etc. also and now also at work...

Hmmm, I've read conflicting reports whether I will have to mess with APN settings if I'm putting in a ATT sim card that was on LTE (i.e., my 830). That would be a real drawback for me to have to start messing with that. I know the step by step instructions are posted somewhere here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs