[Quick Impressions] Who Just Got The Lumia 950 XL?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Have you recently unboxed your 950XL? Or maybe you just had some time to play with it in the store?

What are your thoughts based on your limited experience with it? Initial impressions? What stands out? What do you like or dislike about the device?

Remember, this thread is for initial impressions for the Lumia XL. For full, more detailed user reviews, check out http://forums.windowscentral.com/am...5346-[real-users]-my-lumia-950-xl-review.html

Last edited:

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Guess what I just was able to get from a store...

WP_20151124_22_11_16_Pro_LI[1].jpg
WP_20151124_19_43_15_Pro_LI[1].jpg
WP_20151124_22_11_12_Pro_LI[1].jpg

Forgive the crappy photos from my 640. Stores are selling the dual sim variant. They do not currently have any display docks in stock. They probably will not be getting those for a few weeks or more. Double Tap to wake and Super Sensitive touch are not included... yet. You need a working sim to redeem your display dock.

First impressions - This phone is gigantic, but feels light and it doesn't seem too large for my hands. It's 20g heavier than the 640 but significantly larger. Compared to my old 920, this thing feels like a feather. The phone is well made despite what morons at the verge say. Comparing the 640 to the 950XL you can tell the difference in build quality as you should be able to, but I can see why people would want replacement backs. It definitely does not feel cheap. My one gripe with the build would be the button positioning. It feels a little bit weird since the buttons are in a different position than every other Lumia ever. Overall, I'm happy with the construction and design.

So far I've just been restoring settings and redownloading apps and I must say, this process is way faster than it was on the 640. 49 app updates took all of 10 minutes rather than the hr+ it took in the preview. I will say, do the store update first. This significantly speeds up the process.

As for heat, it's gotten a little bit warm, but I'd say slightly cooler than the 640 during the same process. Compared to the 920, you might as well be in the freezer as it's completely night and day in terms of heat dissipation.

Charging is quite fast. As I've been writing this the phone has gone from 20%-45% so that's pretty nifty.

I have not been able to test out photos or iris scanning yet as I'm about to perform sim surgery to convert my micro sim to a nano sim but I'll post more later.

So far so good :)

Update - Iris recognition is magic. What witchcraft is this. Like seriously, instant.

Update 2 - Photos - Please understand I am a terrible photographer and the lighting in my apartment is very bad. The outside shots are probably the worst lighting you'll ever see. Also looks like I duplicated a photo on the upload.
http://imgur.com/a/KUgwK

Update 3 - Morning photos
http://imgur.com/a/G38au

Update 4 - Display dock redemption just went through. You need a sim inserted for lumia offers to work. Edit - The redemption via Lumia offers went through. I had to spend an hour on the phone with their customer support to get the display dock actually redeemed. There isn't a spot on the website to redeem it as it's currently out of stock.

Last edited:

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
The rep literally said, we just got them and we were told not to sell them until Thursday initially, but when I came in today they said to sell them. It wasn't a shady deal or anything, at least 5-7 employees saw us do the purchase and set up the phone.

I don't know if it was just me getting lucky with my local store or whatnot.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
The rep literally said, we just got them and we were told not to sell them until Thursday initially, but when I came in today they said to sell them. It wasn't a shady deal or anything, at least 5-7 employees saw us do the purchase and set up the phone.

Thanks.... I'm trying to get ahold of my local store now. (fingers crossed)

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the stores received their units last week. I know this because guys at the Microsoft store themselves told me that. That was the reason they couldn't take my preorder (after initally telling me they would).

Lyndon Sanche

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

What country?

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Did you by any chance happen to see the Mozo cases there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3