[Showing Off] My 950 XL Start + Lock Screens

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Haha, thank you :)

That's the start screen, the weather tile is "Amazing Weather HD" and I used "Empty Tiles" app to create the empty tiles - transparency set to 100

How did you get the amazing weather to show the daily weather like that, I have tried and the temps and what not don't show

Nevermind, solved it. Had to unpin the tile and pin from within the app itself.

Last edited:

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
How did you get the amazing weather to show the daily weather like that, I have tried and the temps and what not don't show

Nevermind, solved it. Had to unpin the tile and pin from within the app itself.

Another good weather app for this style of start screen is Vieather. It shows the daily weather then flips to weekly.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
As beautiful all these full screen images with minimal icons in offset positions, I think you are missing the benefits of why windows phones OS is so great: live tiles and quick access to many apps on one screen. You might as well be an android user who does not have this benefit. I would rather categorise my most used apps in folders or in sections and have my screen estate covered in tiles so I can unlock and tap with minimal scrolling or hunting through app list. This is not a bash at the lovely layouts, just I think you are missing out on quick access and glanceable(?) information.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
As beautiful all these full screen images with minimal icons in offset positions, I think you are missing the benefits of why windows phones OS is so great: live tiles and quick access to many apps on one screen. You might as well be an android user who does not have this benefit. I would rather categorise my most used apps in folders or in sections and have my screen estate covered in tiles so I can unlock and tap with minimal scrolling or hunting through app list. This is not a bash at the lovely layouts, just I think you are missing out on quick access and glanceable(?) information.

Which is why I still have my stuff setup traditionally. The live tiles are actually working for me and I can't help but to keep it around.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying out a hybrid approach, with an untiled full screen picture with minimal icons at the top, then when I scroll down I have live tiles below, starting just below what is visible at the top.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is my thoughts too. Some of these really are very beautiful start screens, but in my case I would prefer to have the information provided by the live tiles. However, it is nice to have the option to go either way.

-Skippy

Mr_Atomic

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I hear what your say and concur for the most part, but right now I'm going through a minimalist phase, on my 950XL. My 1020 though, is all live tiles. I'm like the weather in Alberta, if one waits 5 minutes I'll change my layout. :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm sort of sticking with this one. I would do different stuff if all tiles supported transparency. I guess that's a future feature when w10 rolls out.

6jdOgK9.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss