Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the Lumia 950 XL for a week, replacing my Lumia 1520. Here are some of the problems that I am facing.

1. Overheats with DT-901 Wireless Charger. I had no problems charging my old Lumia 920 & 1520 with this wireless charger but with the new Lumia 950 XL, the phone gets overheated with the notification light on the charger blinking rapidly. When that happens, the charging stops. After a while, it re-attempts to charge the phone, again with the same overheating problem. As I usually leave the phone on the wireless charger overnight, the charging indication sound goes on and off throughout the night. And the phone is unusually hot. I am not sure if DT-903 will work better since DT-904 is yet to be available for sale.

2. I have been facing some random reboots out of the blue. The last one was when I was using Edge to watch Youtube. It reboots into the Windows logo. While there it reboots again - vibrate for the second time. Since my SIM is PIN locked, unnoticed random reboot left my phone "uncontactable". So I already started to have new phobia. I need to constantly check my phone for random reboots to make sure that I am contactable in case of emergency.

3. Wordflow (swipe) keyboard is very bad comparing to the Windows Phone 8.1 version. I am not sure how Microsoft screw this up. It has been perfect and now they make it worse. The experience is even worse in Edge as word shown in the preview does not appear in the text box.

4. Poor battery life. The battery is life is poorer but maybe I can accept that knowing that there's a more powerful processor and higher resolution screen. But one problem is that the battery or rather the entire phone gets pretty hot with just some normal browsing using Edge over Wi-Fi. Isn't Lumia 950 XL a liquid-cooled phone, at least for the processor?

Other issues:

5. Although the phone is better speced than Lumia 1520, the entire experience feels sluggish. Everything seems to be loading.... with dots running in circle.

6. Bring back Lumia Storyteller or at least its functionality in the photo hub - instantly grouping photos (like live tiles), create story video. That's something that my friends who are using other phones envied.

7. Bring back gesture like flip to silence. This too is what my friends envied.

8. Facebook 10.1 - no tile count

9. Outlook mail tile count will sometimes get stuck even if there is no new mail.

10. Weather app live tile does not update until the app is re-launched when in new location.

Well I'm running 10.0.10586.29 OS and 01078.00027.15506.02003 firmware.

I hope that Microsoft won't let me (and all of us) up. We are all Windows phone true fans here and Lumia 950 & 950 XL is supposed to be love letters the fans who waited so long for a new flagship.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I got the SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A).

I'm having all sorts of issues with it. The phone keeps losing detection of the card alerting me to safely remove the card next time, but I didn't remove the card at all. It has been doing it for 3 days now and everytime I have to shut down the phone, and pop the card out, put it back in, and turn my phone back on. It will work for a couple hours and then lose detection of the card again. Anybody know a solution for this? I don't know if it is the card or the phone that is causing the issue.

I have experienced this as well, a few times, not a regular basis like yourself. Very inconvenient to stop what I'm doing, power down the phone, pop off the back over and reinsert the card.

bicubu

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone have problem when using video record 4k.? It took couple seconds before it record and sometimes it gave me error messages. Hopefully its a bug that can be fixed after update.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Very frequently, things on my phone stop working until after a reset (not all at the same time either).

Either the iris scanner stops working (red light never comes on), or the 802.11AC / 5GHz connection stops working, or USB data stops working, or Continuum doesn't work until a reset, or Hey Cortana stops working.

Always comes back after a reset. I'm hoping that the firmware update helps that whenever I get it, but who knows.

Gaurav Vishal

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Replace the phone, the best thing right now is to be done. My phone use to restart a lot, when connected to other Lan network, it used to crash, battery was draining like hell and windows hello was un reliable. I got it replaced and most of the issues have been over.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, one of the dozens of problems that caused me to return my 950XL. Hung up downloading US maps. Reset didn't fix, wouldn't download to onboard or to SD card. Progress bar would move to about 1/3 pretty quickly then freeze and periodically jump back to restart after flashing something for about 1/00 of a second that you couldn't read. Gave up after a week of trying.

Since it wouldn't download maps to onboard either it wasn't an SD card problem but while trouble shooting the maps problem, I discovered weird problems on the SD card. When I plugged the phone into my PC and opened the Pictures folder on the phone's SD card, a bunch of pictures seemed to be in the wrong folders. So I dismounted the SD card and plugged it into my PC directly and the pictures were in the correct folder BUT the embedded thumbnails were all jumbled and of completely different pictures in other folders! I couldn't find any other way to fix that but to reformet the card and restore the pictures. Maybe there is a utility to strip out the embedded thumbnails and force W10 Mobile to rebuild them but I couldn't find one.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me and I used the WIndows Device Recovery tool to reset the phone.

Bought this Lumia 950xl 2 days ago. I've also installed peny 128 Gb micro sdXC card. Initially things were fine. But after installing build 10586.36 the 950xl started to crashes/reboot randomly. Since 4 hours ago I'm getting the following msg "this device has been locked for security reasons. Connect your device to a power source for at least 2 hours, and then restart it to try again". I've tried that and did a soft reset. still not working. I'll probably do a hard reset.
Any idea why is this happening. could it be due to the large peny micro sdxc card?

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You download the WDRT to your computer from the MSFT Store. Had my automatic back-up on so just reinstalled my last phone image

sph0308,

1. Where is the WDRT located (just in case?)
2. did you have to back-up anything (and were), before executing WDRT?

Thanks.

horray

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my 950XL 2 days ago. Installed a 64GB Samsung Class 10 Micro SD card with some MP3 and MP4 files.

Some issues:

1. Installed WhatsApp on the phone memory. Changed storage settings for pictures, videos and music to SD card. Then I faced the issue of WhatsApp not able to send messages after a while. It appears to hang when opening the app. I found out that this is caused by the storage settings for pictures and videos which have to be set to phone memory in order for WhatsApp to work. Did anyone set storage to SD card and yet still get WhatsApp to work? I would prefer this setting to preserve phone memory.
  2. Last night, could not turn on my phone for no reason. Tried calling it and even though the other phone is confirmed ringing, my phone doesn't wake up. Glance screen is visible but just cannot turn on the phone. Took out the battery and restarted the phone, back to normal. Hopefully this does not recur.
  3. Encountered error code 0x80073cf9 when trying to install apps onto SD card. Changed back phone memory, apps installed. Is it the format of my SD card? Mine is NTFS formatted.
  4. Windows Hello - doesn't work well for guy with spectacles. Bummer! Need to consider Lasik.
  5. Battery life is pretty poor. Can hardly get 12 hours on it. Possibly it is still new. Hopefully battery reaches its full potential with more charging. Read in other forums this to be the case, hopefully. I thought I could do without a powerbank tagging along with me all the time.
  6. Phone get pretty warm when used for checking emails, messages, etc. for up to 15 mins or so continuously. Don't really face this issue with my 930 previously. In such circumstances, I normally restart/soft reset just to make sure nothing major is running in the background.

Currently build:
Firmware version: 01078.00027.15506.02003
OS Build: 10.0.10586.29

Is the
OS Build: 10.0.10586.36 out yet? I checked for updates and there were none.

I would welcome any suggestions or solutions to some of the issues I am facing.
:grincry:

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Jst wondering if there is any lag in clicking photos and saving it to the 200 GB memory card. Thanks

So...UPS came by today:

200GB SD card) SanDisk 200GB Ultra UHS-I microSDXC Memory SDSDQUAN-200G-A4A B&H

Works Good, easy install, easily recognized.

View attachment 119366

New Case: Amazon.com: Lumia 950 XL Case, VALKYRIE Lumia 950 XL Flip Slim Wallet Case For Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with Card Slot Flip Cover and Stand Feature - Blue: Cell Phones & Accessories

I got the Black Graphite, but no longer listed when last I looked. actually, I had to order from an Amazon Sub-vendor (I can give link if anyone is interested. Case is pretty nice, and a big surprise was the magnet (not the magnet itself, for I knew it had one for the purpose of securing it open), as you can see below, I was able to stick it to the front of the refrigerator. The case will also allow QI Wireless charging. I do wish that the case had a notch in the case's side edge, where the power button is (but I may cut a notch in it myself), so I could have a feel reference for quick power on.

View attachment 119367
View attachment 119368
View attachment 119370
View attachment 119369

Sorry, I meant to post this on the 950XL Cases Thread.

A Safe and Happy Holiday Season to ALL - Cheers!

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I got my 950XL 2 days ago. Installed a 64GB Samsung Class 10 Micro SD card with some MP3 and MP4 files.

Some issues:

1. Installed WhatsApp on the phone memory. Changed storage settings for pictures, videos and music to SD card. Then I faced the issue of WhatsApp not able to send messages after a while. It appears to hang when opening the app. I found out that this is caused by the storage settings for pictures and videos which have to be set to phone memory in order for WhatsApp to work. Did anyone set storage to SD card and yet still get WhatsApp to work? I would prefer this setting to preserve phone memory.
  2. Last night, could not turn on my phone for no reason. Tried calling it and even though the other phone is confirmed ringing, my phone doesn't wake up. Glance screen is visible but just cannot turn on the phone. Took out the battery and restarted the phone, back to normal. Hopefully this does not recur.
  3. Encountered error code 0x80073cf9 when trying to install apps onto SD card. Changed back phone memory, apps installed. Is it the format of my SD card? Mine is NTFS formatted.
  4. Windows Hello - doesn't work well for guy with spectacles. Bummer! Need to consider Lasik.
  5. Battery life is pretty poor. Can hardly get 12 hours on it. Possibly it is still new. Hopefully battery reaches its full potential with more charging. Read in other forums this to be the case, hopefully. I thought I could do without a powerbank tagging along with me all the time.
  6. Phone get pretty warm when used for checking emails, messages, etc. for up to 15 mins or so continuously. Don't really face this issue with my 930 previously. In such circumstances, I normally restart/soft reset just to make sure nothing major is running in the background.

Currently build:
Firmware version: 01078.00027.15506.02003
OS Build: 10.0.10586.29

Is the
OS Build: 10.0.10586.36 out yet? I checked for updates and there were none.

I would welcome any suggestions or solutions to some of the issues I am facing.
:grincry:

1. Only apps are installed on phone memory. Everything else goes to 64 GiG memory card. Make sure the card you have is class 10 or higher speed. Most problem's are withe the speed of the card not fast enough to keep up with the phone.
What's app is working fine on mine all photos are on memory card. You should format SD as xfat or fat32. So it will be compatible if you move it to another device. I move my SD card from my 1520 to my 950XL with all my docs and pictures and all work fine.

2. When I first got my 950 it took charging a few times before my battery was settled and I now get about 14 hours of usage without recharge. I use my phone as my daily communication device e-mails, text, phone calls, WhatsApp, open word doc,pdf normal stuff and battery serve's me thru the day. Updating the OS to.36 also helps.
The tap to wake up function is not enable on the device so you physically have to push the power button to wake the phone up. Hope Microsoft fix this soon. The screen on the phone use's allot of powerso it will get hot hope their will ne afiz soon

Jason Craw

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
FYI. Lumia Offers App has no back and the swipe up didn't work in Windowa 10 Mob version 10586.01. But it works in .29 so you should get stuck after the OS update.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Jst wondering if there is any lag in clicking photos and saving it to the 200 GB memory card. Thanks

Hey Indianarash7,

When I installed the SD Card, I changed the default "Save To's" Settings to the SD Card (Drive D:), I also moved all the prior pictures/videos that I took, pre-SD install, with the 950XL. I just checked and I now have 3GB of pictures residing on the SD Card.

When I take a new picture, the camera seems to be ready to preform (take another pic) again - immediately, or, I can select the picture just taken (top right of screen) and see that it is making "finishing touches" in the background (other times I see the "change lighting" icon, not really figured out why the different functions appear when they do, yet).

Also, when I go to the Pictures App, they seem to load very fast for viewing, no delay at all. When I scroll down as fast as I can, the pictures are replaced with a cloud silhouette as I am scrolling, but when I stop (regardless of how far down I have scrolled) the pictures re-populate instantly (less than a second).

So, I am not aware of any lag (at this time).

Hope I have answered your question.

Cheers! for a New Year!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes