Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

cab124

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For the record, my current issues with the 950XL (running Insider build on the slow ring):

1. Cortana does not work from Band 2

2. Sometimes, notifications for emails, alarms, etc. on Band 2 occur hours after they occur on the 950XL

3. Music playback is awful. Playback continuously stops after playing one or two songs regardless of the source (Groove, Pandora, etc.). After playback has stopped, clicking the next track button from the controls causes lots of flickering of the track name, and ultimately doesn't work.

4. When removing the headphones from the audio jack, the audio volume controls stick on the headphones profile.

5. The Hulu app locks up on the 950XL

vince8603

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, My 950 XL had a problem
i can't change or set new app in SHOW QUICK APP STATUS
When i click then will jump to home screen .... i format many times already
Once i just format and it can set, after (maybe few days or a while) cant set it anymore

Please help ...

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Bummer. The only think I can think of is that you might have been using a backup made under 8.1 to restore it? Then, it seems to be crashing when trying to build the list - maybe some weird named app in there? Just speculating here.

ElronTheElder

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
"New" used 950 XL DS here.
updated to *.218 upon boot up.
Transferring music to 200GB SD, phone reboots periodically.
Ha, changed to a 128GB SD and it seems to have corrected itself.
Guess it doesn't like 200 GB cards ....or just this one.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My 950XL doesn't like my 128GB card on .218, a UHS model, and a very reputable manufacturer.
I've crashed my Win10 desktop (explorer process, not the entire machine, but there's a huge interrupt storm and a timeout, followed by the crash) numerous times, just trying to transfer about 0.5GB of photos off my phone...
WiFi is MUCH more reliable, I gave up on USB for now, and am just transferring direct to my NAS.

-pete

Robert Hastings

May 9, 2016
Visit site
My Lumia 950XL Dual SIM (bought at Microsoft Store) is having all kinds of issues. The phone is always rebooting after launching apps, especially games.
Sometimes I turn it on and go to settings and it won't launch, but it just reboots. I play a game and during a game it reboots. I launch a podcast and it reboots. I try and view mail and it doesn't show anything and says it needs to sync, but I just looked at email a couple minutes before. After I reset it, then I can see the email. I'm afraid there will be more issues as I start using more apps and services.

Software Version: 1511
OS Build: 10.0.10586.218
Firmware Version: 01078.00038.16025.39005
Hardware Version: 4.0.3.1

Should I take it back to Microsoft for a replacement?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Should I take it back to Microsoft for a replacement?

If you haven't tried it, a hard reset without restoring from a backup afterwards might be worth a try before taking it back. (I'm not usually a fan of that method, but it might be easier than taking it back.) Of course, a hard reset reset erases anything so back up any important photos, music, app data, etc., first.

If it still has the same problem, then I would definitely take it back because it shouldn't be behaving that erratically. Mine rebooted after the camera caused an issue yesterday, but that's pretty rare.

Of course you can just take it back without a reset, too. Just another option to try.

eins2dreivier

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
In the last couple of days I went through 3 950 XL's...all of them couldn't focus properly to infinity in manual mode (picture would end up blurry).
I'm now without a 950 XL as I returned the third device and asked for a refund...got tired of all the hassle.

I really liked the phone and right now I'm considering to go out and get another one...but I'm afraid I'll end up having the same issue.
Do you guys have the same issue on your 950 XL? Is it really that common or am I just that unlucky??

heelio

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Running Threshold 10586.318 here. Have had a problem with Tile View under personalization since last build. Keeps reverting to full screen picture every once in a while. I have hard reset this phone before the latest build installed but this bug has persisted since the hard reset. Anyone else seen this happen? I want my Tile View!

RayaanP

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Running .318; Non-insider; 128GB
Facing problem with lock screen. Whenever Iris scan fails I'm prompted to to key in the pin using the full QWERTY keyboard and no Done button or OK button to accept the keyed in code.
Whenever the Iris scan is successful. Home screen still shows up the qwerty keyboard & then minimizes & disappears.

This is driving me crazy & not liking it at all.

SinrOne

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
After the .164 update I'm experiencing the proximity sensor issue.

When on a call, the screen is just black all the time, and the proximity sensor does not switch on the screen. I have to press the power button twice to bring up the call screen. Also, when I'm making a call, screen goes black just after I push the call button, and I have to press the power button twice to see what's on the screen.

Anybody experiencing the same, or it's just my bad luck?

Having the same problem, though my screen wont go black during calls so im pressing buttons by accident.. Sucks

kastron

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i have problem with gray colors on my lumia 950 xl. For example when i have gray background such as setting have. On higher brightness setting gray is true gray but when i change brightness to lower settings gray start showing greenish tint, usually visible in dark. Is that normal on amoled displays or i have defective device?

left side brightness 15% right side 100%

View attachment tint.jpg

Last edited:

Nabikun

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I just got a Lumia 950XL (coming from a Lumia 1020) and want to know if my device have a problem or if this is normal:

In very low light, when I use the rear camera I got a purple/pinkish haze or fog. Especially when recording videos.
I watched many "950/950XL versus" videos on youtube and almost every recording have this haze.
I know that when there is almost no light the sensor uses a high ISO to compensate.
On picture mode we can lower the ISO, but not on video mode.
What bugs me is this haze showing not on entire scene but almost only at one side (top of the screen).
The symptom is exactly like this one @3:40: https://youtu.be/cbG6gKC5v6o?t=220

Switching to video mode and completely covering the lens easily shows the symptom.

Is this normal for this sensor? Or I got a bad sample/batch?
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Its visible only on gray background that is strange.
Have anyone this "strange" greenish grey tint?

I have a strange purple-ish tint on grey backgrounds on my 930, which also has OLED screen, and it's very common among this model. I'm not sure if it's common for all OLED displays out there or if there's a fix.
You can try increasing the low level of brightness on Brightness Profile until it makes it less apparent.

eins2dreivier

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
@Nabikun
It's normal, no worries! And it's not the sensor, it's the software. I went through 3 XL's and tested a few more in stores and all of them had the issue...

Nabikun

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Oh, I see. But why almost only at one side?
Well, I felt relieved now. Hopefully they bring a good camera app with more options and/or a new firmware to correct this.
Thank you for your quick reply!

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I thought it was the sensor picking up heat when the ISO has been cranked up. All sensors suffer from what is called "dark current". This basically means, that heat rather than light can be converted into an image. In normal use, this is drowned out by light, but in very dark situations it can be seen.

ISO is simulated by increasing the gain from the sensor. Think of it like an amplifier - the only problem is that as well as amplifying the signal (light), you also amplify the noise (dark current). These small sensors are pushed to, and sometimes beyond their limit. With photos, you can compensate by slowing the shutter to get more photons, which in turn make the image brighter. With video, you want to maintain a frame rate, so there is only so much you can do with the shutter. To combat this, they increase the ISO (gain) of the sensor. The heat from the device is enough to show a purplish tinge in this case. In astronomy, cameras are cooled to avoid this phenomenon.

It is normal, so don't worry - you can choose between no video (ie too dark), or a purplish tinge. You can always post process the video to remove the purple.

Cheers

PS. That is why you normally just see one corner/side - that is where the CPU/GPU is closest. Happens to many phones, even the great pureview 808 suffered from purple tinge :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills