Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
My 950XL connects to my router's 5Ghz network fine for a while, and later disconnects by itself and can no longer connect to any 5Ghz WiFi unless a reboot is performed. This has happened twice. My router is Asus RT-AC68U.

I have actually had this happen with my ASUS RT-AC87R. I had initially set it up once with my 5GHz network, and it was working fine for a few hours till I found it back on my mobile network. I opened Wi-Fi settings and it listed nothing even after I waited a moment for it to search. Toggling Wi-Fi on and off did nothing to remedy this. I rebooted the device and everything worked normally, though it happened one more time an hour or two later, and this time when I went into Wi-Fi settings it only displayed 2.4 GHz networks and would not display my 5 GHz one. Again I rebooted my device, and it has worked fine since.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's just for the initial set up... and all you do is wait for the green bar to go across the screen. I wear glasses and it wasn't a problem, you have to keep the phone close up to your eyes anyway.
No, holding the phone close to your eyes IS not all you have to do. The phone is constantly giving instructions to move your face or phone one way or another. SOME people who wear glasses CAN read those instructions. Others CAN'T because their eyes are different. That's why VERBAL instructions, which the phone is quite capable of, is the no-brainer way to give ANY instructions specifically directed to people not wearing their glasses.

Will everyone raise their hand if you DON'T think verbal would be better or don't realize that some people can't read instructions without their glasses.

TankWart

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I am looking for a live tile where I see my mobile data usage counters. AFAIK there should be a "data sense" app on my phone but there is not. I have data sense settings in the setting though...

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
After light use for 1 day, I notice that my phone randomly reboots, and loses 5Ghz WiFi connection if I don't touch it for a while. And LTE on ATT always drops to 4G, but this can be a signal issue. Will do more tests to confirm.

moc426

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, this is what happened with me, I had to bring the phone up to my face to read the screen after that. On a side note, battery drain seemed really bad on first 2 day usage, will see how it does today and on.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
No, holding the phone close to your eyes IS not all you have to do. The phone is constantly giving instructions to move your face or phone one way or another. SOME people who wear glasses CAN read those instructions. Others CAN'T because their eyes are different. That's why VERBAL instructions, which the phone is quite capable of, is the no-brainer way to give ANY instructions specifically directed to people not wearing their glasses.

Will everyone raise their hand if you DON'T think verbal would be better or don't realize that some people can't read instructions without their glasses.

That's actually fair. I didn't think about those other messages. I always just kept my eyes within the box and would tilt the phone until it started to move.

That said, does turning on Narrator in the Accessibility menu help at all for this set up?

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For some reason, when I charge my 950 XL with the included usb C charger, if i disconnect it and plug it back it it won't charge unless i reboot the phone. Ex. phone is charging fine, disconnect phone, plug it back in and it won't charge. Reboot and it works again. Any one else have this issue?

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had their phone restart itself randomly without prompt for absolutely no reason? I've had my phone in front of my for 30 minutes and it restarted itself about 4 times.

BeyondGrave

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Starting to have the same issues others are reporting:

* 5GHz connections stop working if idle too long. Have to reboot to get them back.

* Auto-brightness is totally broken. I like to keep the brightness low (10-15%) but whenever I wake the phone back up, it resets to 50%. Weird thing is that settings still shows it set where I had it. If I reboot the phone, brightness and the setting will be at 50%. If I turn auto-brightness off, brightness doesn't change when I turn the screen on and off. But it still resets to 50% when I reboot (but the setting doesn't compared to when auto-brightness is on).

* Bluetooth connection is flaky. Especially with a Band 1. I have a hard time keeping them connected especially if I reboot.

* Random reboot overnight.

I think the brightness bug is what's destroying my battery life because it's pretty poor so far.

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have actually had this happen with my ASUS RT-AC87R. I had initially set it up once with my 5GHz network, and it was working fine for a few hours till I found it back on my mobile network. I opened Wi-Fi settings and it listed nothing even after I waited a moment for it to search. Toggling Wi-Fi on and off did nothing to remedy this. I rebooted the device and everything worked normally, though it happened one more time an hour or two later, and this time when I went into Wi-Fi settings it only displayed 2.4 GHz networks and would not display my 5 GHz one. Again I rebooted my device, and it has worked fine since.

I have the same exact issue with my router (RT-N66U).

valel46

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and I've just received my 950 XL today.

For some reason, when I charge my 950 XL with the included usb C charger, if i disconnect it and plug it back it it won't charge unless i reboot the phone. Ex. phone is charging fine, disconnect phone, plug it back in and it won't charge. Reboot and it works again. Any one else have this issue?

I've discovered a bug related to the charger/charging, it's different than yours though. With the charger unplugged from the wall or power outlet, if you plug the USB Type-C connector to the phone, it will make the charging sound as if it's started charging, and the charging icon also appears. The status will disappear after 5-10 seconds, but if you keep leaving the charging cable plugged to the phone, after another 5-10 seconds it will make the charging sound again. The charger is completely unplugged from the wall. I tried checking this with the data cable that came with the phone, it doesn't have the same problem.

Can anyone else try this? I hope this is only a software bug that can be fixed with future updates.

RareFX

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
One issue I'm having is that the Lumia 950 XL only charges from 2of4 of my qi Wireless Chargers:
Charging from DT-903 works just fine.
Charging from MD-100W works just fine.
Charging from DT-910 does NOT work at all.
Charging from CR-201 does NOT work at all.

My Lumia 1520 works fine on all 4 of these qi wireless chargers.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had their phone restart itself randomly without prompt for absolutely no reason? I've had my phone in front of my for 30 minutes and it restarted itself about 4 times.

That's exactly what has been happening for me. It basically renders the phone unusable.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
So far I am very unimpressed with battery life.
Barely getting 12 hours of use before battery going critical.
This is with moderate usage, no gaming.
It seems the screen is absolutely draining the battery. I tried reducing brightness to 25% but does not seem to make much a difference so car.
I woke up at 4:30 today and it was down to 60% by noon and I was not talking on it more than 10 minutes and had some moderate web surfing for black friday deals.

Mail will not download any images no matter what I do. This is consistent across my outlook, gmail, and verizon accounts.

Brightness seems to have a mind of its own. I set to 25% but then it seems to get brighter on its own.

don4law

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same battery life issues. This is the third day of full charging. Woke up this morning at 100% and it's at 56% 3 hours later - location and Bluetooth off, not one phone call. Simply reading news and adjusting settings. I am also having the same issue with brightness control - it has a mind of its own.

I have been waiting for this device since July. I was an avid Apple fan, but tired of the locked down system, then got a Samsung Note Edge and hated Android. I had a Lumia 640 that I paid $50 for at Wal-Mart to test Windows in the interim. Loved it. Great battery, flawless transitions, no app crashes. I was excited to get the Lumia 950XL which I paid full price for from Microsoft since no carrier was carrying it. After using it now for several days, I'm somewhat satisfied, but the battery life on this phone, especially given the great specs, has much to be desired. I hope this gets fixed soon as my frustration level is high and if I need to go back to another OS, MSFT will lose me forever because I can't keep holding out hope for promises and rumors that never materialize.

don braithwaite

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
There is a post in the Microsoft Community forums about the Outlook image issue (which I am having as well). People have reported that doing a reset will solve it but I haven't tried yet because I'm assuming that they are talking about a software reset which would be annoying to do at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte