Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Here's one involving languages. Go into set up to languages and you are offered the chance to "Add a language". To me, addition means to get something in addition to what you had so I decided to add French. Well, it didn't just add it, it changed the language to French. No big deal, change back to English which remains on the phone - or so I thought. Yes, it indicates that English is still on the phone, but you can't change to it. So, it appears that you can't add a language, only change one. This is odd. I got an international 640XL and could change languages. No idea what the reasoning is here.
<TED>
Well, I found an answer to my own problem. By careful comparison with my 640XL I found that I can bring up a dialog box that allows you to move the languages around. It is much more dependent on careful finger placement on the 950 probably because the finer screen is more granular.

<TED>

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. The Band 2 is connected via blue tooth but can't sync. I've reinstalled the software and cycled power on both the Band and the XL. In addition I've repaired the Band. It is interesting to note that this occurred after the update the phone suggested and that the options for pairing on the Band 2 included only "Pair to iPhone".

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I had a similar experience. If you say NO to the iPhone option (which is also an offered option on my 930 running the most recent insider build) and let the 950XL continue searching for Bluetooth devices, it should eventually find your band. Mine found an old HP Printer and two things it identified unhelpfully as "Accessory." Tapping one accessory did nothing. Tapping the other made the label switch to the Band2 ID, and I successfully paired. After that I could sync the Band and the XL.

This was after a hard reset to take care of some peculiar symptoms after initialization and setting up my MSFT ID on the unit. Trying to open Edge pushed me into the Account Set-up process and told me about the advantages of creating the account that was already on the phone. The reset fixed that. It took a lot of fresh connections to the store to get all apps updated (36 in my case). After the reset, the app update process went much more quickly than it had in the first place.

I haven't felt excessive heat and I haven't seen the battery life problems others report. After 12 hours of messing around with the phone I was down to about 50% and put it in a Samsung wireless cradle that I got for a phone I no longer use. The phone is too long to fit, but if you put its head in the right place it doesn't matter if the feet are off the end of the bed. I woke up to a fully charged phone an hour ago. I'll keep an eye on power usage during the day and report back.

The camera seems first rate, but the photo management system lost the photos that went to the cloud before I did the hard reset. Not sure if that is my fault or the phone/OS.

Despite the glitches, this is close to being the Windows Phone I have always wanted. I suspect that when it is possible to update the release to 10586.11 or its yet-unreleased successor a lot of these issues will be fixed. But it is sad that a flagship device was released with an OS that was essentially still in beta.

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone experiencing poor framerates in some games/apps?

The examples I have are Xbox Avatars and Threes. They stutter horrifically.

GFXBench seems to run fine.

Also, there's no recovery image available yet. Good thing my phone didn't arrive with a corrupt image like my Surface Book did. (Or did it?)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday after all app updates Groove updated info for 4000+ songs. Today it started updating songs again, even though I have not added anything. That can't be good for battery life.

BornInTheFuture

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My phone, a Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim Version Unlocked (FR) restart everytime during call in less than (30s ~ 60s)
This bug is reproducible everytime. All the apps work perfectly... but the phone app...
So i can't phone with my new phone... (Extreme distress)

Bad luck brian ...or anyone else ?

Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim
Carrier : Orange / France

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Because I've never had a dual SIM phone, and I have a legitimate reason to have 2 SIMs on board, I have done multiple hard resets with different SIMs in different slots and combinations to explore what the affects are.

This phone is quite amazing, even with the early and immature W10M. The only bug I've experienced, of any consequence to me, is my historical SMS hasn't even attempted to populate. I'm not new to various issues of preview builds and sms syncing, but I thought I'd at least get a hint of the process.

A bit reluctant to do a manual sms backup\restore, because if this IS a server side problem that suddenly rights itself, I'll end up with a mess of duplicates.

Otherwise, my 950XL is revealing itself to be a very worthy heir to my 1520. It's not far superior in any aspect, but it is better in some degree on almost every aspect that matters to me. Especially sheer raw power. This thing is a powerhouse.

ddaniel87

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I can say there is a definite issue with the SD card. For all those having reboot issues, simply remove the sd.Mine will not work with anything larger than 64gb.
another note, assigned sounds for text messages will not work, just uses default.

lastly, the phone overall, is just plain slow. data, interfaces, pretty much everything. I am on ATT, and it works, but only runs at 4g. assigning imei to att through calling att resulted in complete loss of everything but edge. and of course, no VVM.

Robert Tzuanos

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Data sync cable not working

I used the usb type c cable that came with the phone and connected it to my desktop and it will not recognize it also used it in usb outlet in my car for charging it and it wont charge anybody else have this problem

VoynaZ

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
My three issues:
1. No images in email
2. No notification sound for email(attempted reset and it did not fix my problem)
3. Is there a trick to pinning the Camera Role album on the home screen? Windows 8 and 7 I just held the album and pinned it.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. The Band 2 is connected via blue tooth but can't sync. I've reinstalled the software and cycled power on both the Band and the XL. In addition I've repaired the Band. It is interesting to note that this occurred after the update the phone suggested and that the options for pairing on the Band 2 included only "Pair to iPhone".

The fix for this was to reset the band to factory specs (option on the power button sub-menu) and hit "replace my band" on the MS Health app to disconnect the band from the XL. At that point reinstallation went smoothly, offering the option of pairing with a Windows phone.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Go to System, Phone, down to SIM settings, select active SIM settings, down to Cellular & SIM, select, Turn on Data connection switch. I had the same problem.

Or goto Networkk & Wireless, Cellular & SIM,Turn on Data connection switch.

Last edited:

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
My three issues:
1. No images in email
2. No notification sound for email(attempted reset and it did not fix my problem)
3. Is there a trick to pinning the Camera Role album on the home screen? Windows 8 and 7 I just held the album and pinned it.

As for the notification for emails it's quite confusing but there are two places that you have to enable it. First is in the general notification settings (System/Notifications). Once enabled there you have to go to outlook and press ... and then settings/options. Scroll down and there you will see Notifications section. You have to enable sound and banner.
It is admittedly stupid but it worked for me.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My router is Asus RT-AC78U. Phone dropped off the first two days, no connections available. As with you power cycle required. Also could not connect at the AT&T store, restarted then connect. Day 3, 28th, worked all multiple connections at different locations.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I noticed a bunch of issues.
1. After fighting with ATT I enabled LTE but the speeds are very bad. In general download never exceeds 8Mbps, usually around 2-3 and sometimes fall below 1. Upload is a joke. On average 0.5Mbps, at peaks 1.5.
2. Screen brightness was working fine for three days until today. Now the screen gets dark all the time.
3. Windows Hello - same as brightness - was working very well for three days and today suddenly it almost never recognized me. I tried to delete it and set up again but it didn't help. It's so bad that it's unusable and I'm back to entering PIN.
4. Reboots. I had this problem every 5-15 minutes. Did a hard reset. It helped until I installed a Battery app. The problem immediately returned. After removing the app it came back to normal and was working the whole day without one restart until now. It just did again.
5. Wifi. I have a Cisco/Linksys router with a hidden network. First three days - works awesome. Blazing fast, no issues whatsoever. Today it keeps losing the network and I can't reconnect unless I restart the phone.
6. Pictures. Very not impressed. I'm not a photographer. I just want to take my camera out and take a picture. Half the time it's not very sharp to say the least. My friends have iPhones and honestly never have those problems. They just snap a photo and it's good.
7. Sometimes it hangs on a lockscreen. Can't do anything but reboot the phone.

There are more issues and I knew the system was not completely ready for general public but frankly speaking I am quite frustrated as I need to rely on this phone at work and it's going to be a tough relationship from what I see. I don't believe in regular updates from Microsoft. I was na?ve enough to believe that with WP7 and WP8 but not anymore. Judging by the speed the desktop version is being fixed (still lots of issues) I'm a bit terrified that I spent $700 on a device that will not even be my primary phone.

millermk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
One issue I'm having is that the Lumia 950 XL only charges from 2of4 of my qi Wireless Chargers:
Charging from DT-903 works just fine.
Charging from MD-100W works just fine.
Charging from DT-910 does NOT work at all.
Charging from CR-201 does NOT work at all.

My Lumia 1520 works fine on all 4 of these qi wireless chargers.

Mine work on the DT-900 (old plate) & MD-100W. I will try my DT-910, CR-200, & DT-903 tomorrow though, and let you know if I get any different results. (all my chargers work with my 1520 too).

millermk

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Few bugs/notes:
  • No "hey Cortana," the option isn't even there (it also never worked on the 1520 here in Canada, so maybe that's the reason?)
  • Switches between LTE & H+ on my small regional carrier (Sasktel) - On the other hand, speedtest shows 60/25 Mbps up/down with speedtest.net. Oddly, the Microsoft research speedtest app shows 60/.01 Mbps up/down. Dunno what's up with the nonexistent upload speeds there. Incidentally, being on an unlimited data plan with these speeds is the only thing that even partially makes up for how many American features we don't see here.
  • Battery life poor on the first two drains, although that's with heavy usage including continuum
  • Continuum over miracast crashes and fails to pair every time if started by going to the continuum app first. When going to action center> connect directly I've had no issues.
  • Miracast to my Xbox one showed no lag at all (unlike my 1520). But Miracast to the Microsoft Screen Sharing for Lumia Phones does lag (same as my 1520), mostly on video, not bad on web browsing. Oh also a relatively undocumented change with Windows 10 mobile over 8.1 is that Miracast pairing works via NFC. In 8.1 tapping the NFC disc of the Microsoft Screen Sharing for Lumia Phones just took you to the connect screen where you would have to select the device to connect to out of the list. On Windows 10 mobile (both on my 1520 & 950XL) tapping the NFC disc pairs immediately with no further intervention - GREAT.
  • The phone got surprisingly hot during initial setup, not uncomfortably hot though.
  • As others mentioned plugging in the wall charger does trigger the charging sound even when the wall charger isn't plugged into the wall. This is clearly because the wall charger has a bit of charge left in a transistor somewhere. Removing it from the phone and connecting it a second time doesn't trigger this so I'm writing that one off as some residual current.
  • Restore from backup failed, although most of my stuff was restored. Theme color wasn't, but that's easy to fix. Also got only my messages from 2013 and earlier restored, but that happened last time I reset my 1520 as well.
  • Some localisation features such as keyboard suggestions aren't available yet in Canada, which was fine when it happened intermittently on insider builds, but I find fairly annoying since this is a retail version of the OS.
  • It's not a bug, bit I'm pretty disappointed with the onscreen nav bar, especially how it gets resized to gloss over the fact that older apps don't support this screen ratio. As a developer I get why it's done, but as a user it feels awfully inconsistent. In my opinion Microsoft should have sprung for separate buttons on the flagships.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
After taking video off and on for about an hour I started taking photos right after. Soon after a few photos the phone became non-responsive and would not turn back on. I got home, put it on my DT-903 and after about 5 minutes the phone powered back up. I know it was not due to a low battery because I had around 80% of battery when it shut off on me. I'm wondering if I beat the cooling mechanism and caused it to overheat?
The only other probem I'm having is some apps loading and functioning really slow probably due to the OS

RiccardoPastena

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello Guys. Here are my bugs :
  • Can't download any speech for cortana. It works only with English. All other languages keep saying , Download error
  • Battery drains quite fast in my opinion but it could be me stressing it as it is new
  • Map voice sucks (same cortana issue as it can't download ehanched voice)
  • Plastic back cover making some noise while using
  • From time to time the photo app hang and i need to force close it

Could you guys verify if you are able to download any other voice under speec recognition ? cause i'd like no to try factory reset if not needed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss