Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This morning the 950XL was lying on the Nokia charging plate (DT-900), burning hot, with the battery at 83%. That's not good for the battery. :(

Given how hot the phone was I'm thinking it couldn't have be 83% without the charger also going, so my guess is that something was draining the battery too fast for the charger to keep up with. Just a guess though. Not sure what it could be, all apps had been exited, and lots of background processes had already been disabled. I'll disable hey Cortana later to see if that will fix it ("Hey Cortana, remind me to turn off Hey Cortana at 11 pm tonight"). Looking in Battery Saver at which processes took the most power it shows Groove and Edge, but I wonder if that list would even include system processes that go power mad. I doubt it tbh.

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
A couple of problems (I think it may be my screen protector?) - I have no glance screen (even with it on), and during calls my proximity sensor automatically dims the screen which is a pain because if I need the keypad for anything during a call (to put it on speaker as well), I can't. My screen protector appears to be installed perfectly, but I wonder if this could be doing it? My phone also never lights up from texts like my 640 did, and the camera button can't launch the phone directly. These seem like settings so any help would be nice.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My router is Asus RT-AC78U. Phone dropped off the first two days, no connections available. As with you power cycle required. Also could not connect at the AT&T store, restarted then connect. Day 3, 28th, worked all multiple connections at different locations.

I am also experiencing the same problem with my TP-Link C7 Archer router. Seems like every time I restart my 950XL and it tries to connect to the network, it completely kills my router and I have to power cycle the router in order to get it back up running. Aside from that, the 950XL also doesn't seem like it would connect to the WiFi network automatically (i.e. after coming home).

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else had their phone restart itself randomly without prompt for absolutely no reason? I've had my phone in front of my for 30 minutes and it restarted itself about 4 times.
yes. my 950 XL has rebooted quite a few times since I got it on Thursday. I think it's software related.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me and try plugging in the charging cable (the one permanently attached to the charger) with the actual charger unplugged from the power outlet? For some reason my 950 XL will still make the charging sound and status with just the charging cable being plugged.

Thanks in advance.

:sweaty:
it's not just your device, mine does the same thing. again, it's probably a software issue.

ennzzo

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
When you take your phone off a wireless charger, it takes about 45 seconds for it to recognize it is no longer charging. Maybe this is the case with the type c charger...?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
When you take your phone off a wireless charger, it takes about 45 seconds for it to recognize it is no longer charging. Maybe this is the case with the type c charger...?

Every Windows phone I've had did that, ironically though, I haven't noticed it in my 950.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My phone, a Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim Version Unlocked (FR) restart everytime during call in less than (30s ~ 60s)
This bug is reproducible everytime. All the apps work perfectly... but the phone app...
So i can't phone with my new phone... (Extreme distress)

Bad luck brian ...or anyone else ?

Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim
Carrier : Orange / France
same problem here in Belgium on Base but with single sim device...

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't believe 'Hey Cortana' is available in Canada yet, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In order to workaround it, you can switch your region to US.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

My phone, a Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim Version Unlocked (FR) restart everytime during call in less than (30s ~ 60s)
This bug is reproducible everytime. All the apps work perfectly... but the phone app...
So i can't phone with my new phone... (Extreme distress)

Bad luck brian ...or anyone else ?

Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim
Carrier : Orange / France
Check these threads :
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...l-crashing-during-call-bluetooth-enabled.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...97563-constant-reboots-during-phonecalls.html

Franky_B

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here's the list problems I encountered:

Canadian Keyboard failed to download
Canadian Speech language not recognized or couldn't be downloaded
Bluetooth doesn't work well (Just give a generic list of Accessories, couldn't connect to my Fitbit Surge, Doesn't recognized my DT-903)

I first setup my 950XL by restoring from a backup from my lumia830. I strongly discourage that. I decided to reset my 950XL and manually reconfigure all my apps. That did fix my first 2 problems, but partially fixe the last one. I was able to connect to my Fitbit Surge and my Car, I still get a generic list of accessories. The Bluetooth stack seems to be mess up.

Jdalmau59

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I got my 950 Xl,,,first thing on Black Friday,,,I am very happy with it....just some problems with the battery lasting between 5-7 hours.... Also,,,even it did connect with Blootooh tomy VW Gulf easily...it is not connecting to my earphones....

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I posted over in the battery thread but wanted to let everyone know here too.

My battery life was horrible only lasting 7 hours or less.

I disabled Windows Hello and Hey Cortana (everything else is normal background tasks, brightness 50% with auto on, nothing else turned off).

Yesterday I got 16.5 hours of use before I put it on the charger and it was at 27% left when I did.

So far today I am at 9 hours off the charger with 73% battery left.

My battery life is great now.
I do have a creek at the bottom of the phone.
The camera is so unbelievably good, quick and beautiful pictures.

Me Again1

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi!
I got my 950XL 2 days ago and very disappointed!
First problem I was getting is notifications, but I found Quiet Hours is enabled by default and set for 24 hours.
Second problem is no way to configure dedicated ringtone notification for each email account on the phone. Only one ringtone for all email accounts.
Third problem is heating room when using phone for long time or when it is charging. You can keep your coffee warm, using 950XL.
New problem is MS idea to combine Cortana and SMS laud reading SMS messages over Bluetooth. I never used and never will use Cortana. But from W10 SMS-to-BT doesn't work without Cortana enabled. For Cortana all services, like Location, microphone and many others must be enabled for Cortana to work. It drains battery VERY quick!
Additional to it, Cortana doesn't like to work with car microphones and couldn't understand commands.
It would be very nice to be able to disable Bluetooth MAP protocol and prevent phone send SMS messages to car displays, where driver should should switch attention from the road.:unhappysweat:
I'm using WP's since 2003 and really like them, but released 950XL pushed me and my friends return phones and continue to use our old 1520's and 920's until MS will make some changes and bug fixes.
Unfortunately, 950 model is not ready for users yet.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello Guys. Here are my bugs :
  • Can't download any speech for cortana. It works only with English. All other languages keep saying , Download error
  • Battery drains quite fast in my opinion but it could be me stressing it as it is new
  • Map voice sucks (same cortana issue as it can't download ehanched voice)
  • Plastic back cover making some noise while using
  • From time to time the photo app hang and i need to force close it

Could you guys verify if you are able to download any other voice under speec recognition ? cause i'd like no to try factory reset if not needed
Interesting, I have been unable to download French speech and thought it was an anomaly on my phone. Now that I hear you are havjng similar problems, it may be a bug, not an anomaly on my phone.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I had the issue with email not showing pictures, so I did a 'hard' reset. Now I don't get any app notifications (other than Outlook). Hope they are working overtime on these bugs!

banker1985

May 1, 2015
Visit site
My issues are: phone randomly dies. This is not a reboot. It just turns off and I have to turn it back on. The last time it did it I plugged it in and turned it on. It showed the dead battery graphic. The battery was about 50% before the crash. Maybe there is a battery connection problem? Also Windows Hello is flaky and no email images.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo