Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone on these. I was worried it was just my device or that I needed to do a factory reset and start from scratch.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't experienced any problems yesterday during setup, but now I'm noticing that when I close the start screen, Glance is no longer showing up. Anyone know why that might be?

I checked the "hide glance screen" times, so it's not that.

I'm sorta at a loss. So far this is the only issue I've run into.

plinko

May 30, 2013
Visit site
My XL is killing the 2.4 ghz band on my Tp-Link AC-1720 wireless router.

My phone will connect for a couple of minutes before losing connection. After connection is lost I get the "can't connect to wireless network" message when trying to reconnect. My SSID still shows as available. At this point, ALL of my other devices that depend on that 2.4ghz band are unable to connect. The only solution is to restart the router. Connecting to the 5ghz band works fine. I monkeyed around with my router settings to no avail. Soft phone reset had no effect.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My XL is killing the 2.4 ghz band on my Tp-Link AC-1720 wireless router.

My phone will connect for a couple of minutes before losing connection. After connection is lost I get the "can't connect to wireless network" message when trying to reconnect. My SSID still shows as available. At this point, ALL of my other devices that depend on that 2.4ghz band are unable to connect. The only solution is to restart the router. Connecting to the 5ghz band works fine. I monkeyed around with my router settings to no avail. Soft phone reset had no effect.
Since the router has to be restarted, I'd say the router is to blame for the other devices not working. It could even be responsible for the problems with the XL. But regardless, a misbehaving device should never lock up a router after said device is turned off.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Guess I'm the only one experiencing OS annoyances galore.

Here's my findings since restoring from my old 1520 last night:

- App download queue in Store would crash while trying to check status of my restored apps downloading
- Many failed downloads. After retrying, some multiple times they eventually downloaded
- Facebook Beta live tile doesn't work at all for me
- Windows Central live tile not updating
- Can't figure out how to change Bing as default search engine
- Outlook doesn't give me any toast notifications, vibrate or sound notifications upon receiving new emails at all. I get a tile counter and a notification on the glance screen only
- Live tile for Whatsapp shows message preview even after clearing unread messages
- Notifications in general seem to be buggy for me. Vibrations for notifications not working consistently for me.
- Also lost all old messages in Whatsapp even after performing a backup on my 1520
- Text messages restored only up to texts from 2013. No messages since 2013 were restored
- Assigning an app a custom sound notification causes settings to crash to the start screen while scrolling through sounds (not sure if it's because I have some custom ringtones in the folder). I can reproduce this every time.
- Was disappointed to lose LinkedIn connections in my contact list
- Missing dozens of contact display pictures in phone book, some restored, some didn't.
- Many restored apps crashed upon launching, forcing me to do a fresh install while losing previous app data
- Here apps missing (yes I know it's temporary)
- Annoying Sim 2 icon displayed
- Wireless charging plate refused to pair. Had to do soft reset.

More to come I assume lol. While I love the phone, my set up experience hasn't been exactly smooth so far.

Many of your issues have to do with the fact that the backup/restore is not 100% thorough. The Windows Central live tile, for instance, has to be set up again from the app. I'm assuming the FB live tile is similar. Many notifications are also configured in the app itself, e.g. Outlook Mail has a configuration setting that you access from the app settings. It's confusing IMO to have both the global notification center settings as well as individual app notification settings, but that's the way it is. You unfortunately will need to dive into the problematic apps and reconfigure everything the way you want.

As far as pictures of contacts, etc., it took several hours for everything to sync up and show the proper pictures on my phone.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Many of your issues have to do with the fact that the backup/restore is not 100% thorough. The Windows Central live tile, for instance, has to be set up again from the app. I'm assuming the FB live tile is similar. Many notifications are also configured in the app itself, e.g. Outlook Mail has a configuration setting that you access from the app settings. It's confusing IMO to have both the global notification center settings as well as individual app notification settings, but that's the way it is. You unfortunately will need to dive into the problematic apps and reconfigure everything the way you want.

As far as pictures of contacts, etc., it took several hours for everything to sync up and show the proper pictures on my phone.

I appreciate the advice. You could be right, but I couldn't imagine how long it would take to set my phone up from scratch and not restoring. I guess I can try re-installing WPCentral's app. And Facebook's live tile works, just not the beta one for me.

Still have to figure out how to restore my whatsapp messages properly. Re-installed LinkedIn offers me the option to add contacts to my address book but then hits a dead end when it pops into Settings>Add new account. So close yet so far.

plinko

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Since the router has to be restarted, I'd say the router is to blame for the other devices not working. It could even be responsible for the problems with the XL. But regardless, a misbehaving device should never lock up a router after said device is turned off.

I agree with you to a point, but I've never - out of a dozen unique devices that have connected without issue - had this happen before. Gonna do some wiresharking to determine what's going on up until router freeze. Thanks for your feedback HoosierDaddy. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you to a point, but I've never - out of a dozen unique devices that have connected without issue - had this happen before. Gonna do some wiresharking to determine what's going on up until router freeze. Thanks for your feedback HoosierDaddy. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

I'm with Hoosier, a device cannot cause a router to freeze.. I had similar issues when I picked up my Linksys 1900AC Dual router and found disabling IPv6 cured our issues.. Not sure if it is enabled on yours but worth giving a shot, you don't lose a thing but in my case and others the router's connectivity is much more stable... Good luck & Happy Thanksgiving.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you to a point, but I've never - out of a dozen unique devices that have connected without issue - had this happen before. Gonna do some wiresharking to determine what's going on up until router freeze.
Please post what you find. I agree its likely your XL isn't playing nice.

Anyone else with the same router (or any other router) having this problem?

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Ok, new from android here. Having a few issues and questions.

1. Outlook refuses to download images. I have the "Always download full message and internet images" and "automatically download external images and style formats" options enabled. But it still refuses to load images on emails. This is a big issue for me since I browse email a lot on my phone.

2. The navigation bar won't slide away on quite a bit of apps. Its really annoying that it won't go away on things like an ereader. Is there a global option, or is this just related to some devs being lazy? If so, what is a good ereader that allows true full screen and isn't really slow to load pages.

3. How to I get rid of the notification icon saying there is no sim 2

4. How does the glance screen prevent burn in? I was under the impression the clock would move around, but so far I've only seen it sit in the same place the entire time.

5. How to you enable wifi calling for T-mobile? I had heard that it was integrated in the W10 os, but i can't find options for it. I tried downloading the old app off the store, but that didn't seem work either.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
My 950XL connects to my router's 5Ghz network fine for a while, and later disconnects by itself and can no longer connect to any 5Ghz WiFi unless a reboot is performed. This has happened twice. My router is Asus RT-AC68U.

Mitherhobo

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, new from android here. Having a few issues and questions.

1. Outlook refuses to download images. I have the "Always download full message and internet images" and "automatically download external images and style formats" options enabled. But it still refuses to load images on emails. This is a big issue for me since I browse email a lot on my phone.

Having this same issue too, not sure what to do about it. Definitely doesn't happen on my 928.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Cosign on this one. I'm not upset that this is a dual sim, but since I'm not going to be using it frequently, I would like to be able to turn it off.

Thought I saw in another thread it said try pitting a SIM in the second slot and you should have the option to disable. Doesn't even have to be a valid SIM... just has to be there. But I may have misunderstood.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1. Screen brightness always resets to default settings after a restart
2. Cannot add my microsoft outlook account for e-mail, calendar, and contact sync
3. Also experiencing weird router disconnect problems

These are the few bugs I can think off the top of my head.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My 950 XL was having problems connecting to LTE so I decided to do a hard reset to see if that would correct the problem. Unfortunately I had already set up an Exchange account that mandates device encryption and now the phone is stuck on a Bitlocker recovery screen on start up. I have had no success doing any of the power+volume button key combos to reset it or get to the exclamation (!) screen. Also the recovery tool can't find any images to flash the phone with yet. Anyone know anything about the availability of ROMs from the recovery tool for the XL? View attachment 117407
I came in here to mention that the recovery tool doesn't have any images yet, so be careful not to brick your device! But it looks like you beat me to it. Good luck.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Top this one:

To turn on Microsoft Hello, the phone tells you to take off your glasses and then proceeds to give you text instructions. Do Microsoft engineers have the slightest clue why people wear glasses? Well the main reason is so they can read things like text on a screen! Ever hear of giving voice instructions?

It's just for the initial set up... and all you do is wait for the green bar to go across the screen. I wear glasses and it wasn't a problem, you have to keep the phone close up to your eyes anyway.

After the initial set up you can keep improving it by doing the same process over and over, in different lightings, and with your glasses. It works pretty flawlessly on my phone with my glasses on.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Still have to figure out how to restore my whatsapp messages properly. Re-installed LinkedIn offers me the option to add contacts to my address book but then hits a dead end when it pops into Settings>Add new account. So close yet so far.

WhatsApp messages from within the app, you should do a backup on your old phone, to an sd card. Transfer the SD card. Install WhatsApp. Run it and setup your number. It should automatically detect the backup on your SD card and ask if you would like to restore. Done.

LinkedIn app needs to be updated to support Windows 10 style integration into People app. You're out of luck there until LinkedIn decides WM10 is worthy of a new app!

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
These are probably OS bugs rather than 950XL specific:

- Wifi connectivity issues. It does not see or connect to my wireless network which appears to function fine with my other devices. However, workaround of toggling internet sharing seems to reboot the wifi driver or something and will see/connect my wireless network afterwards.
- Bluetooth issues. Seems to disconnect from my Band2 if I'm in my car and it's connected to the car. Intermittently, not always?
- Hissing/white noise sound from the rear speaker. Some app must be doing that - WhatsApp on WP8.1 does some trick that causes it to do that when the app is active and open.
- You can pin groups from People app, but the live tiles are blank, just the group name.
- Happened once: Settings app opens and is blank, search returns nothing.
- Random app crashes.

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
- Hissing/white noise sound from the rear speaker. Some app must be doing that - WhatsApp on WP8.1 does some trick that causes it to do that when the app is active and open.

I get that too, it doesn't happen all the time, but seems to linger occasionally after certain things played sound. And the speaker seems to pop at random times.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs