Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to say but this phone is bug riddled in comparison to my 1520. This is my 1st time using Win10 so I was pretty disappointed. A lot were cured after a hard reset (I upgraded and learned on my own that was the cause of the instability).

Now please correct if I'm wrong but should the text "bubbles" in the messaging app not change based on your color theme selected in personalisation? If I select blue the text chats show up as grey squares. I select red, they show up as grey. Purple.. it's still grey. Reboot same. Doesn't matter what I do. On my 1520 they would adjust to match the color theme you selected.

Also, custom ringtones? Working no problem. Custom ringtones for individual contacts? Yup also working. Custom text sounds for individuals.. nope not working. Shows the one I selected but everyone's texts still use the global sound effect chosen. If I try to scroll through the sounds for a text it crashes to start menu 75% of the time.

These bugs are starting to get annoying. And these are just a few I've come across.

Here's a few more I experience daily:

• Live tiles breaking or just going blank from time to time (reboot fixes)
  • WiFi breaking on 5Ghz.. (reboot fixes temporarily)
  • Some games and apps hang or crash while others are no longer usable on Win10 (GTA San Andreas is a great example as it crashes 100% of the time randomly after starting)
  • While texting no sim selected randomly shows and I have to re-select it
  • Some settings as well as display brightness settings not sticking after a reboot
  • Uninstalling an app, still shows as installed if you try to re-install through the app store (reboot fixes)
  • Some apps don't show up in notification center while others don't show toasts even though they are set to on
  • Phone heats up a lot when charging with my DT-903 pad overnight
  • Settings also reset randomly for my DT-903 and have to be re-customized occasionally

No lie, I'm literally rebooting my phone at least 10 times a day to fix little things. And this was even after a hard reset believe it or not. Seems to me this OS build is still FAR from being RTM.

Stephen570

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My 950 XL was having problems connecting to LTE so I decided to do a hard reset to see if that would correct the problem. Unfortunately I had already set up an Exchange account that mandates device encryption and now the phone is stuck on a Bitlocker recovery screen on start up. I have had no success doing any of the power+volume button key combos to reset it or get to the exclamation (!) screen. Also the recovery tool can't find any images to flash the phone with yet. Anyone know anything about the availability of ROMs from the recovery tool for the XL?

If you used a Microsoft Account (Outlook.com, Live.com, Hotmail.com) when initially setting the phone up try going to onedrive . live . com / recoverykey (sorry, I'm not able to post messages with urls) -- the recovery key may be there.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine shows LTE just fine. He may be having an issue with the APN. Or, the highest speed toggle could be set on something other than LTE.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
4. The novelty of Windows Hello is enduring but when it tells me that it is looking for me I am not always sure where exactly it might be looking.

5. The Lock Screen, and this is more a personal preference issue rather than a 'bug', should allow ANY app in quick status (Like the calculator!).

Nothing comes to mind with this post except these two items above, which I want to respond:

"4." It's looking in the entire field of vision of the Front Facing Camera and Infrared Iris Scanner to "see" you. Many things can impact this though depending on glare with your glasses from lighting and any sources of light that might interfere with infrared. In my experience, I find it works VERY well, even if it wants me to "move closer" sometimes... my criticism is that in its current build, Iris scanning is MUCH slower than Facial scanning on my Surface Book. I really hope this improves!

"5." It's a quick status, not a quick launch, so... exactly what purpose would it serve to have calculator show in those spots on the lock screen? ;) I would, however, like to see ANY setting or app launchable from the Quick Actions in the Action Center... maybe that's what you meant?

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have actually had this happen with my ASUS RT-AC87R. I had initially set it up once with my 5GHz network, and it was working fine for a few hours till I found it back on my mobile network. I opened Wi-Fi settings and it listed nothing even after I waited a moment for it to search. Toggling Wi-Fi on and off did nothing to remedy this. I rebooted the device and everything worked normally, though it happened one more time an hour or two later, and this time when I went into Wi-Fi settings it only displayed 2.4 GHz networks and would not display my 5 GHz one. Again I rebooted my device, and it has worked fine since.

I have exactly this problem on my 950 - Unlocked. It doesn't happen all the time. I use an ASUS-RTN66U and a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk (ac). I thought it might be a problem switching between the two routers, which are both just wireless access points in opposite ends of the house. It doesn't always lose the 5GHz and I have not spent the time to figure out under what conditions it loses the Wi-Fi connection and 5GHz networks disappear. Thanks for the tip on the Hotspot toggle - this should be a lot faster than having to reboot the damned phone!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, at least they're prepping to make the 950 (and presumably the 950XL) part of the insider preview:

950insider.jpg

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Joe 920,

Really good news! Dual SIM support will be required since they surprisingly released it amongst US consumers. And, to be honest, my 1520 runs 10586.11 much better than my 950XL runs 10586. I will immediately enroll the 950XL in preview!

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
As I write this I have just seen this start to happen and it wiped out the playlist that I just created a few minutes ago. I want to love this phone but it's sure making it hard.

Yesterday after all app updates Groove updated info for 4000+ songs. Today it started updating songs again, even though I have not added anything. That can't be good for battery life.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes... I'm having this issue as well

Data sync cable not working

I used the usb type c cable that came with the phone and connected it to my desktop and it will not recognize it also used it in usb outlet in my car for charging it and it wont charge anybody else have this problem

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue where none of my outlook emails can display images. I get the error:

The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location.​

I can't think of what may have caused this because when I first setup the phone I was able to click on the download email and images at the end of the message and everything displayed just fine. The only change I made today was connect to my work exchange server which does force an encryption policy.

So far searching shows that other folks have seen this with the outlook email client on Windows 10 desktop and all solutions point to creating a new account and deleting the old one. Well this is not possible on the phone unless you do a factory reset. Looking for options.

HarleyBigDog

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I am having an issue where none of my outlook emails can display images. I get the error:

The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location.​

I can't think of what may have caused this because when I first setup the phone I was able to click on the download email and images at the end of the message and everything displayed just fine. The only change I made today was connect to my work exchange server which does force an encryption policy.

So far searching shows that other folks have seen this with the outlook email client on Windows 10 desktop and all solutions point to creating a new account and deleting the old one. Well this is not possible on the phone unless you do a factory reset. Looking for options.

Search for this thread in the forums. I'm still too new to post links apparently. "why-email-doesnt-shown-graphics"

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
My friend texted a bunch of pictures to my phone (950xl) from her iPhone 6. When I open the pictures, they're all thumbnail size. When I save the pictures, they're still thumbnail size. What gives?

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Joe 920,

Really good news! Dual SIM support will be required since they surprisingly released it amongst US consumers. And, to be honest, my 1520 runs 10586.11 much better than my 950XL runs 10586. I will immediately enroll the 950XL in preview!
I had the same feeling with my 930... Enrolled in the insiders program yesterday so hoping for a new build soon...

For now I just can't use Bluetooth because when it is enabled and connected to my band 2 or my car, my phone just reboots after 15 seconds in a phone call...

Kryakus

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have issue with bad photo quality when you choose infinity focus in manual focus mode? 950 XL photos with infinity focus looks really bad and blurry and my 1020 doesn't have this issue. Looks like my 950 XL can't focus on "infinity" properly and I hope that this is software issue and not hardware fault.

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have issue with bad photo quality when you choose infinity focus in manual focus mode? 950 XL photos with infinity focus looks really bad and blurry and my 1020 doesn't have this issue. Looks like my 950 XL can't focus on "infinity" properly and I hope that this is software issue and not hardware fault.

I tried taking a picture of the moon last night and it didn't turn out very well. But I don't really know how it normally is

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK this was weird, I got a call, Hello came on, cell reception dropped to zero before I could pick up, and once the call was disconnected (due to reception dropping), cell reception came back at full power. I really hope that this was a one time glitch, because if I can't use it as a phone it's game over.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
There is a post in the Microsoft Community forums about the Outlook image issue (which I am having as well). People have reported that doing a reset will solve it but I haven't tried yet because I'm assuming that they are talking about a software reset which would be annoying to do at this point.

The reset definitely worked for me. (And I did not restore a backup.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers