Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. The Band 2 is connected via blue tooth but can't sync. I've reinstalled the software and cycled power on both the Band and the XL. In addition I've repaired the Band. It is interesting to note that this occurred after the update the phone suggested and that the options for pairing on the Band 2 included only "Pair to iPhone".

I had this problem. Try factory resetting your band 2 and try again. This worked for me.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I get this error when connecting my 950 XL to either USB3.0 ports on my laptop
Does the standard allow ports to put out different levels of power and still be USB3? Maybe that model laptop can't supply the power the phone want's to recharge.

Are you using the cable that came with the phone? I know a lot of 3rd party cables don't work right.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I am having an issue where none of my outlook emails can display images. I get the error:

The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location.​

I can't think of what may have caused this because when I first setup the phone I was able to click on the download email and images at the end of the message and everything displayed just fine. The only change I made today was connect to my work exchange server which does force an encryption policy.

So far searching shows that other folks have seen this with the outlook email client on Windows 10 desktop and all solutions point to creating a new account and deleting the old one. Well this is not possible on the phone unless you do a factory reset. Looking for options.

Unfortunately, only a factory reset fixed this for me. (And I did not restore from a backup.)

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought two 950XLs for the wife and my self. BOTH of the phones have the same problem. No data, no MMS messaging (neither send nor receive). I have called ATT support twice and gone to their device support center once. [I have made an appointment at the Microsoft Store and they were no help whatsoever, pulling up threads in this very forum that I was already familiar with. I have also done the online chat and they said to check with my carrier. DOH] I have entered all the correct apn settings and tried different combinations. I even went out to the floor model of the 950 and copied the settings it had. The name of the apn was slightly different for internet, and the MMS apn was not visible. There was an extra setting to use enhanced lte speed, which our phones don't have.

One idea I have is to buy two 950's from ATT on contract, swap out the sims and then return the 950's (IF the 950XLs start working of course). If that crazy idea doesn't work, I'm afraid I'll have to return both of them to the Microsoft store.

Any chance that will actually work?

anon(9140902)

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Does the standard allow ports to put out different levels of power and still be USB3? Maybe that model laptop can't supply the power the phone want's to recharge.

Are you using the cable that came with the phone? I know a lot of 3rd party cables don't work right.

i don't know anything regarding the standard. I was using the data cable that came with the 950 XL

dullerm

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
The reset definitely worked for me. (And I did not restore a backup.)

I did do the reset AND restored from backup and it still solved my Outlook images problem. With restoring from backup, doing a reset is almost painless (except for the old apps you might still have that don't save their settings in the backup).

Keith Lorenz

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, ever since I got my XL we started to have connectivity problems in our house. I never thought that it was the XL causing the problem. We have laptops and tablets that lose their connections and cannot reconnect. We have to reset the router. Are you saying that you force the XL to connect on the 5ghz band? How do you do that?

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, ever since I got my XL we started to have connectivity problems in our house. I never thought that it was the XL causing the problem. We have laptops and tablets that lose their connections and cannot reconnect. We have to reset the router. Are you saying that you force the XL to connect on the 5ghz band? How do you do that?

Quite a few of us are experiencing WiFi connectivity issues with our dual band routers. No fix that I know of yet.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I would like to know if anyone has found a setting, maybe in the equalizer or elsewhere, that would make the sound quality of the phone tolerable? I am experiencing some of the same issues as a lot of you guys, and gals, and nothing that I absolutely can't live with, until MS fixes the bugs. BUT, I would rather take a beating then to listen to anything that is coming from my speaker...grrrrrr! I am hopeful it is my fault, and "I am just out of adjustment" (wouldn't be the first instance). Please help if you can, or I may wind-up pulling a Vincent van Gogh. Thanks!

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I would like to know if anyone has found a setting, maybe in the equalizer or elsewhere, that would make the sound quality of the phone tolerable? I am experiencing some of the same issues as a lot of you guys, and gals, and nothing that I absolutely can't live with, until MS fixes the bugs. BUT, I would rather take a beating then to listen to anything that is coming from my speaker...grrrrrr! I am hopeful it is my fault, and "I am just out of adjustment" (wouldn't be the first instance). Please help if you can, or I may wind-up pulling a Vincent van Gogh. Thanks!

Hey there,

The equalizer can be found under the settings and then extras .

What Audio problems are you experiencing?

RiccardoPastena

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Since today i'm having random reset. They would not bother me much but it is asking me for the PIN again and this yes it's bothering. i think could be related with using whatsapp web. the only thing different i did today.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
zimilaci: thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Yes, I found the equalizer on my first day - and actually have fiddled with it from the second day on - I just am unable to find a setting/adjustment I can come to terms with. I first thought I had a defective unit, but I then read that some of my fellow 950XL'ites were expressing displeasure with the sound quality, which both gave me hope (I really don't want to have to return for a replacement), and concern (my current sound really does suck). I am hopeful that a fellow 950xl'ite, all of which I am sure are much smarter than I, has found the sweet spot, and wished to share their discovery.

Cheers!

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I bought two 950XLs for the wife and my self. BOTH of the phones have the same problem. No data, no MMS messaging (neither send nor receive). I have called ATT support twice and gone to their device support center once. [I have made an appointment at the Microsoft Store and they were no help whatsoever, pulling up threads in this very forum that I was already familiar with. I have also done the online chat and they said to check with my carrier. DOH] I have entered all the correct apn settings and tried different combinations. I even went out to the floor model of the 950 and copied the settings it had. The name of the apn was slightly different for internet, and the MMS apn was not visible. There was an extra setting to use enhanced lte speed, which our phones don't have.

One idea I have is to buy two 950's from ATT on contract, swap out the sims and then return the 950's (IF the 950XLs start working of course). If that crazy idea doesn't work, I'm afraid I'll have to return both of them to the Microsoft store.

Check out this post. It probably pertains to you as well.

Here is why you are not getting full LTE on AT&T when using the Lumia 950 XL | Windows Central

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
sorry zimilaci I just realized I didn't answer your question...duh!

I hear a distinct feedback (sounds like a slapping sound) after the usual and expected sounds when using the dial pad, emitting from the back speaker when dialing a phone number, or putting the phone into sleep mode. Thanks!

and FTR, I love this phone...just trying to iron out some idiosyncrasies.

dbdayton

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
1) "No Pictures in Outlook Email" bug, I can confirm that a reset of the phone did solve my issue. You will need download all of your apps again from the store, although if you go back to a prior setting of the phone, the store will load the apps if you click "update". I did have to log into several apps again.

2) No Notifications: I played with settings and did a few restarts on the phone. I'm not sure how I did it or where in the settings, but I was able to turn on and change the sounds for Message, Email and Voicemail, which wasn't showing up for awhile. (Sorry, I wish I could tell you where/how I found this)

These helped me considerably. It's a buggy OS. The apps are buggy. The phone is buggy. Good luck and keep working on it.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site

Be careful. AT&T charges restocking fees. I don't know if this translates over to buying by way of a Microsoft Store.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Anyone experiencing any issues with the hard audio jack? On my 950XL, I find on some occasions, when I plug my aux cable into the phone's jack, it keeps playing from the speaker with no sound through the jack. I have to reboot the phone to get the jack to take over audio.

Last edited:

jprose30

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Part of the trouble with batter life might come from the fact that the Outlook app is initially set to constantly check for new mail and then it will adjust the timing based on your use. I have four separate inboxes that I use. By manually setting the times myself, I noticed a good improvement in battery. Also, turning battery saver on helped my phone at the end of a heavy-use day. I believe that it is off by default.

jprose30

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
- I, too, am struggling with the email images failing to load.
- Battery life was not great until I changed some of the battery saver settings and decreased the frequency of my email downloads within the account settings.
- I have set my phone to only require a password if no use within an hour. Even so, Windows Hello tries to start every time I open my phone. On a few occasions, when I get into apps before Hello has turned off, the thing glitches and then fails to come back on until I reset my phone.
- Has anyone else had an issue with the glass screen? Mine is warped in three of the four corners, straight out of the box. I have tried to apply two different tempered glass screen protectors. The first one was from the microsoft store when I bought the 950xl. I applied it to the phone right out of the box. The corners kept pulling off due to the warping of the glass screen. The Microsoft employee said it was probably a faulty protector. Once I got the phone home, I realized that the warping was actually in the glass of the lumia. The second screen protector that I had ordered from Amazon on the way home from the microsoft store had the same issues of not sticking in the corners. The screen, itself, seems to work fine and the warping does not seem to affect the touch registration.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
:) have you noticed....maybe during whatsapp audio note recording that it records your voice in a deeper tone? :))

for me its something new :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb