Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Is it only me..... ?

sometimes I need to close the apps cause the point accuracy is getting weaker... I mean I click on a picture during selection and it opens a totally different one?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Is it only me..... ?

sometimes I need to close the apps cause the point accuracy is getting weaker... I mean I click on a picture during selection and it opens a totally different one?

Zimilaci, I'm not experiencing anything like that (yet!)...but, if I did I would do soft-reset, I'm too cautious to do a hard-rest.

Happy NEW YEAR...CHEERS!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Zimilaci, I'm not experiencing anything like that (yet!)...but, if I did I would do soft-reset
If you haven't done it yet be aware that soft reset now forces you to re-enter your MS account password all or most of the time. Luckily I found out at home where I had the password available or would have been very upset. Now I carry it with me on a piece of paper which I would rather not need to. Entering a maximum length random character password is quite time consuming what with switching between alpha and numeric keyboard more than a dozen times, searching for special characters and needing the shift key a lot. I'm guessing I might have 100 taps to enter my password. So having to reenter it after a soft reset and a few other unexpected times with W10 on my 950XL were just more nails in it's coffin.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
If you haven't done it yet be aware that soft reset now forces you to re-enter your MS account password all or most of the time.
HoosierDaddy,

Soft-reset = HOLD (Volume-up + Power) until reset occurs, correct?

If so, I have not had any problems with the above procedure (yet), BUT, I do have my "Require Sign-In", set to "NEVER", and will keep it that way until MS improves it's usefulness (for me at least).

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not bad. Much better than my lumia 830. I listen to Pandora on speaker a lot and that's heavy usage, I think. Early evening it's time to recharge, but I think that's pretty good.
I am really crabby about a lot of things, but I don't think it's the phone, it's windows 10.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I click a lot of apps and it quits and returns to the home page. Very frustrating. It happens a lot, and when I'm attaching a pic to a text most of the time.
Does a hard reset fix this?

Simon Hefford

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Eye scan keeps switching off after varying amount of times, anyone else ?
I have to restart the phone to get it back.
I also loose the screen lighting up with notifications, again until I restart.

This is not very good?

Software bug thing that can be updated ?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
HoosierDaddy,

Soft-reset = HOLD (Volume-up + Power) until reset occurs, correct?

If so, I have not had any problems with the above procedure (yet), BUT, I do have my "Require Sign-In", set to "NEVER", and will keep it that way until MS improves it's usefulness (for me at least).
Yep. And I also have require sign in set to never. And Hello would only work maybe 1 out of 5 times and never if I left my glasses on. Taking them off for a 1 in 5 chance of working, is worthless.

And I wasn't saying that I had to immediately re-enter my Microsoft account and password after a soft reset but many of the things I use the phone for did trigger a need. Sometimes one of those was the first thing I did after resetting and sometimes it was a little later.

Some apps and features piggyback if you will on the credentials you enter when you set up the phone. Soft reset appears to break that for some. It never happened before WM10 and it was never a problem on WM10 in my 1520 but possibly because I didn't have to soft reset it every few hours like the 950XL required!

ubo69

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I already posted this in the Ask A Question section but got no Reply so far, so I try my luck here. I have the 10586.29 firmware on my 950 XL: Since yesterday night suddenly the keyboard covers the lover half of the screen and input fields of any app (Whatsapp, Messages, Edge, proprietary eMail) are not displayed above anymore. If the app positions the input field at the bottom of the screen I can see a glimpse though the gaps between the letter fields apart from that I am typing blindly. I tried rebooting twice and also all keyboard sizes. Any way to change this back to normal?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
HoosierDaddy,

No... I have nothing like that (that I have noticed) when I've done the periodic soft-reset.

For what it's worth:

I have noticed, what appears to be a lot of "behind the scenes" activity, NOTHING I can put a finger on - just tell tale signs (gremlins and breadcrumbs). I, myself see things working great, then out of nowhere stuff happens (especially the last week, maybe too much eggnog?): Notifications, that had worked fine before, all of a sudden start sticking, or displaying inaccurate information; a screen FREEZE when using Bluetooth over the phone (soft-restart to fix, 10 times or more), don't get me started on that day, I couldn't even use the GD phone (NOW that pissed me off, almost threw it out the window), other minor things I can't recall right now.

Here's the thing: last night, things start working much better, and this morning... well... I have not found a problem yet. The notifications for all email accounts are working as they should; took a picture of the dogs and was actually able to control the outcome, as apposed to the other way around. I still struggle with the Bluetooth Headset issue, but I am thinking that most of that now is operator error, and my being so impatient, but no screen freezes.

I figure that a lot of Window 8.1 apps incompatibility with Windows 10 Mobile are the bulk of "my" problems, and that is just a matter of time before ALL the wrinkles are ironed out, I hope. I will say "that this morning's experience was much better, than say the last week, or so."

That said, I did see that a fellow contributor had had a myriad of problems, and once he returned it for a replacement, all was much better. I know that if I knew in my mind that I had a "defective unit" I would NOT hesitate for a second to replace it for a new one - but I would exhaust ALL other possibilities first, because there is too much time involved in switching phones (I'm still not willing to do a hard-reset for this same reason), just to find myself back in the same place (with a phone going through a transition). The general consensus is that one should wait until the bugs are worked out when a new product is introduced - for being subjected to the trials and tribulation's, of undertaking such a venture, is not for the faint of heart - well... I said before, I'm impatient, and GOD knows, I have no heart (LOL).

Anyway: a Very Happy NEW YEAR to you, and all the best in 2016...Cheers!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I already posted this in the Ask A Question section but got no Reply so far, so I try my luck here. I have the 10586.29 firmware on my 950 XL: Since yesterday night suddenly the keyboard covers the lover half of the screen and input fields of any app (Whatsapp, Messages, Edge, proprietary eMail) are not displayed above anymore. If the app positions the input field at the bottom of the screen I can see a glimpse though the gaps between the letter fields apart from that I am typing blindly. I tried rebooting twice and also all keyboard sizes. Any way to change this back to normal?

ubo69, I had the same problem with that same issue with my emails. I think you have to:

with the keyboard open: PRESS+HOLD the spacebar on the keyboard, and drag it down to the bottom (I think it is floating now). fixed it for me.

ubo69

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
ubo69, I had the same problem with that same issue with my emails. I think you have to:

with the keyboard open: PRESS+HOLD the spacebar on the keyboard, and drag it down to the bottom (I think it is floating now). fixed it for me.

You are a genius! This worked instantly! Thank you so much! 💓

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Zimilaci, I'm not experiencing anything like that (yet!)...but, if I did I would do soft-reset, I'm too cautious to do a hard-rest.

Happy NEW YEAR...CHEERS!

Hey there,

well first of all, happy new year to you too....

This problem occurs rarely and I just need to close and reopen the app ...so its not a biggie .... I have done soft and hard reset already :) and as I recall .... since I done one of them happens this to me :)) I can live with it tho.... the only thing what makes me angry is the auto enhancement of the pictures...

I wanted to take a picture of a photo..... yes...sometimes I don't have the scanner around... :D and it ruins it....

well yes...maybe a soft reset will be needed soon . :D

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to take a picture of a photo..... yes...sometimes I don't have the scanner around... :D and it ruins it....
zimilaci,

I took a couple of photos this morning, one of which sounds similar to what you described. A photo, of a photo (but in my case, a photo of some glossy packaging), in the first picture, I had the flash on, and it took for ever to “apply finishing touches”, and when it finished with that process, I tried to enable the “choose the best lighting” feature, but received an error message, time after time…until I just gave up.

WP_20160101_12_38_22_Rich.jpg

Second picture was taken WITHOUT flash, and turned out much better, processed “finishing touches” immediately, but did not give an option to “choose the best lighting, I guess because I didn’t use a flash?

WP_20160101_12_42_48_Rich_(2)[1].jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160101_12_38_22_Rich[1].jpg
    WP_20160101_12_38_22_Rich[1].jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_20160101_10_10_30_Rich[1].jpg
    WP_20160101_10_10_30_Rich[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • WP_20160101_10_10_30_Rich[1].jpg
    WP_20160101_10_10_30_Rich[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
whoops...the above pics (of the dogs) is just an example of applying the “choose the best lighting” feature (before and after)

horray

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I do not get Outlook notifications. My settings is no banner but just sound (custom) & vibrations. All other app notifications no issue. I do get notified on my Band 2 though.

Anyone has similar experience. Care to share solution? Thanks.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I do not get Outlook notifications. My settings is no banner but just sound (custom) & vibrations. All other app notifications no issue. I do get notified on my Band 2 though.

Anyone has similar experience. Care to share solution? Thanks.
Hey Horray,

Check you build version. Build .29, as of yesterday morning, seems to have fixed the Outlook Notification gremlins, were as .36 might not have this fix yet (you should be able to tell if you have the updated OUTLOOK, if an “UNDO” is at the bottom of the page when you delete an email).

For notifications, check:

SETTINGS => PERSONALIZATION => Lock Screen => Choose apps to show quick status => “choose your selections (up to 5)”

SETTINGS => Extras => Glance => Notification icons = On

SETTINGS => SYSTEM => NOTIFICATIONS & ACTIONS => Show notifications on the lock screen = On

SETTINGS => SYSTEM => NOTIFICATIONS & ACTIONS => Show notifications from these apps => “apps of concern” = On (ALSO in this area: press+hold on the apps of your chose and turn “on” the appropriate settings you would like).

I hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire