Lumia 950XL Bugs + Defects

SinrOne

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else have their phone crashed when you turn off auto brightness, manually place the brightness and then use the quick button for it (25 -> 50 ->75 -> 100).

I havent waited too long after the phone completely freezes, but needs restart anyway. Can someone test it out?

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing random reboot... I noticed it when my phone was on table and for no reason it just rebooted. Also I was browsing photos yesterday and suddenly it did again. Any one having the reboot issues?
yeah, I am. It seemed to start about a week ago; I've had the 950 XL since it was released. I'm on xxx.29.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday (offline) and the audio started to break-up, after about a minute the audio went silent and UI went unresponsive, another minute or two later the phone rebooted itself. I was out walking at the time, a cause could be it was trying to connect to various Wi-Fi AP's as I have the generic xfinity/Comcast AP registered and there are a lot of those in my neighborhood. I figure it's either a WiFi OS issue or a background networking app like WhatsApp etc.

I've also noticed the occasional "your phone needs the pin code because it's rebooted" when pulling it out of a pocket on idle too.

Didn't there use to be a way to submit crashes to Microsoft?

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Is your Lumia 950XL having problems? Sound off here! Maybe even keep track of what's going on.

It is worth noting that with any phone, there are bad units. One may not be representative of the entire lineup. Circumstances vary and others may not be able to replicate your issue right away, or at all. Different batches of production may have different problems. It's simply a reality of manufacturing.

Is your device behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!

[TIP
Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.
Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Software Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to the Microsoft FAQ Page for more information.

Make sure you check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support Pageas well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.

[/TIP]

[INFO]
Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Software Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version

[/INFO]

Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed.

[INFO]
When reporting bugs/issues, please also use the Windows Feedback app to report issues directly to Microsoft. Microsoft don't actively read forums looking for people reporting issues when they have a data collection system built right into the operating system. They use WF to analyse numbers and prioritise fixes (issues with more reports, get sorted quicker).

"You can use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love about your Lumia with Windows 10, or when something could be better.
1.To launch the app, swipe over to the App list, and then select Windows Feedback.
2.See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
3.If you find similar feedback, tap the Upvote or tap on the feedback to open it, write the problem details to Add details-field and tap Send.
4.To narrow your search to a specific topic, you can filter the results by picking the category that matches your feedback the closest. For example, for feedback about the Microsoft OneDrive, select Apps and Games > OneDrive.
5.If you don?t find any similar feedback, tap + to add new feedback. Select the correct category and subcategory from the dropdown-list.
6.Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and tap Send.
7.Your feedback will automatically upload when you are charging your phone and connected to Wi-Fi, but you can also upload the feedback manually by tapping ? > Upload feedback data."

FAQ - How can I send feedback about my Lumia running Windows 10? - Microsoft - USA[/INFO]

I've never used the feedback option. I wouldn't even have thought to do it, I would just whine and complain about the features giving me the fits. It's pretty easy to use if I'm not so aggravated I'll take the time to do it immediately when the issue occurs. Thanks for that advice - now I feel like I'm part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

horray

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey Horray,

Check you build version. Build .29, as of yesterday morning, seems to have fixed the Outlook Notification gremlins, were as .36 might not have this fix yet (you should be able to tell if you have the updated OUTLOOK, if an “UNDO” is at the bottom of the page when you delete an email).

For notifications, check:

SETTINGS => PERSONALIZATION => Lock Screen => Choose apps to show quick status => “choose your selections (up to 5)”

SETTINGS => Extras => Glance => Notification icons = On

SETTINGS => SYSTEM => NOTIFICATIONS & ACTIONS => Show notifications on the lock screen = On

SETTINGS => SYSTEM => NOTIFICATIONS & ACTIONS => Show notifications from these apps => “apps of concern” = On (ALSO in this area: press+hold on the apps of your chose and turn “on” the appropriate settings you would like).

I hope this helps.

I have already set according to your suggestion previously and the notification does not work. Currently on Build 29. How do I get Build 36?

Could it be becuase of my Microsoft Band 2 as I am getting notifications there?

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have already set according to your suggestion previously and the notification does not work. Currently on Build 29. How do I get Build 36?

Tom Prouton

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Have sent my faulty device back to expansys today asking for a refund and not a replacement..... beware, once i reset my phone to ensure no personal data be left on it, I had the "Bitlocker" screen appear which the WDRT then did no recognise my phone.

Gone back to my 640xl which seems to run smoother! Shame that they have pushed out some defective devices and now seriously considering my options as to what my new daily driver should be.

horray

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

It could be due to Band 2. But all other notifications - Calendar, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. make a sound! So...I am not sure...It's quite frustrating.

Ujfalu

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Eye scan keeps switching off after varying amount of times, anyone else ?
I have to restart the phone to get it back.
I also loose the screen lighting up with notifications, again until I restart.

This is not very good?

Software bug thing that can be updated ?

Exactly the same issues with my one, together with no living images at all.
I think I am going to perform a hard reset and see what happens. Again...

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Anybody getting navigation bar constantly on screen and not disappearing? only happened tonight after I restarted phone to get windows hello back on.

Running latest 29 firmware O2 uk.

Last edited:

Sorkstryparen

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I want a straight awnser.. I have a Lumia 950XL and just love the phone! It?s Amazing! but i have read about people get a replacement becuse of the issue with lifting in the corners with different screenprotectors and the redyeye issue, where all darker Pictures with people and animals get redeyes that cant be taken away.

I have this so called "issues", but have never thought about them.. now I dont want a deffect phone! So are these two problems really a problem? Will a replacement dont get the lifting issue? or the redeye?s issue?

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I have had my 950xl for a few weeks now and while I am liking it more and more I have an issue with blue tooth. when connected to either my car or any blue tooth speaker the phone continually drops Bluetooth connection then needs to repair. this is quite annoying and does not seem to be getting any better. I am running the .29 OS and do not have the latest firmware as it has not hit the US yet. is this an issue with my phone or are others seeing this as well?

also does anyone who has the latest firmware know if this is fixed in that update?

thanks,

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Well, to be honest I had the screenprotector issue, but with a different brand, it was normal... so I guess its rather a protector quality issu...

As for the Pictures and red-eye... I guess it needs only software fine tuning.... I would not care if I were you ... :)

anon(9739099)

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
950xl: Anyone seen these bugs?

I have started to notice some quirky bugs on my phone that I have not been in other forums (AFAIK). Anyone else sees this?

1. Inconsistent keyboard: Swype works fine in most applications, it doesn't in a few. Swype feature doesn't work in Edge address/search bar (feature or bug?) Keyboard adds a space in most applications after swyping a word, differs within edge. So can't swype functionality is very broken and interrupted. This is super frustrating
2. Some applications are not able to pull licenses from store, my TubeCast Pro acts like regular TubeCast.
3. Video recording is super buggy, can't open recorded videos.
4. Burst shots don't work
5. Windows Hello locks up, "Too many tries, please use pin" without even trying to unlock phone. (One more thing that bothers me about hello is, even when there is no need of a pin code i.e within 2 mins of phone unlock, hello kicks in. Best experience would be hello kicks in only when PIN is needed)

jazzedmurf

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
New one! For some reason, my camera started displaying everything upside down today--pictures are captured upside down, the icons and menus are upside down--but everything else, including the photos app, displays in the correct orientation. Anyone else have this issue or have suggestions for a possible fix?

jazzedmurf

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Just tried Windows Hello--it's in the correct position. Changing rotation lock does nothing. Power+Volume Down does nothing. Only app that is doing this... Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Installed new firmware, problem didn't immediately resolve but it did eventually flip back to the correct position. No idea what caused the problem or fixed it.

Last edited:

Swisschoc

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Guys, is there any chance to charge the phone without turning it on ?
It's still a shame you still can't do this on Windows phone. One work around I use is to is too switch on sim pin, that way you can charge your mobile in peace without anyone contacting you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers