Those on the fence for 950 XL - regarding available apps

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I was on the fence due to the availability or lack thereof of some of the apps missing from the windows app store. I had done some research on which apps were and were not available then I read about the app for android that looks at your apps and shows you what is available and if not, what a good replacement is.

Microsoft's AppComparison helps you see which of your apps are available on Windows Phone | Android Central

I'm sad that about half my apps will need replacements if I keep the 950 XL.

Did Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot by releasing this or help themselves? Some of the suggestions are just weird like UC browser instead of Chrome?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the world of Windows Phone aka. Windows 10 mobile, first of all. As an android user previously, I will say that you will find the app gap annoying for sure initially, if you've read or watched reviews elsewhere they'll tell you the same. This has been a problem for the platform ever since Windows Phone 7 was released in 2015, luckily for some of us early windows phone adapters, since we started using the platform so long ago we're used to this by now, and I can tell you that even though in my friend circle I'm considered an extreme app *****, I get by perfectly with all the apps that's available on WP, both for daily apps and entertainment purposes. Yes, I do enjoy the amount of apps when I use my android tablet and when I briefly switched to Android this past summer when I went back to Taiwan, but as a phone OS I love Windows and will not very likely switch to Android or iOS (I explain a little bit below).

Here's the good news, if you haven't read. MS is doing their best (at least they say they are) to encourage developers and port apps to Windows 10. Project Astoria is for Android apps (which is currently on hold for technical and other reasons), and project Islandwood is for iOS app and is still in the runs so we should see apps coming aboard soon (a few already done like Candy Crush and in the works like Facebook, Messenger).

One major thing I like about Windows mobile more than Android include the update experience, updating the OS on Android is a mess, with compatibility issues and support for different devices is terrible, some older devices only get 1 or 2 OS update and then that's it no more. Also, both my android tablet and phone is buttery smooth at the beginning, but after few months they just become laggy and buggy, no matter what I did. Windows Phone has never done that for me. It is ALWAYS smooth. Not bug free, but overall a much more pleasant experience.
What about iOS? Yes it runs super smooth and seemingly bugs free, but it's just dull and too plain. And anyone with a pair of eyes should be able to see Apple's decline since Jobs left, I mean even die hard Apple fans told me that.

Anyways, I hope this helped, you can read more about Project Astoria/Islandwood here. And enjoy your L 950XL! I'm still patiently waiting for mine, still rocking the Lumia 920 from exactly 3 years ago.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to answer you about browser. I find Edge really nice to use on mobile and I have no problem using it on my windows 10 mobile. Although UC Browser is an excellent replacement also, I use it on my android tablet. And words are that they are working on a universal version for windows 10 desktop and mobile, so when that's out it should get even better.

I hope you weren't expecting to see Chrome available in the Windows Store, because Google has trying to stop Windows Phone from getting better by limiting their services on the platform in plain dirty ways since long ago. It's one of the reasons I also don't look up to that company very much anymore.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm hanging with W10M.
It's like a 401K or a weight loss diet. Don't measure it every single day. Instead, just enjoy USING it. It does what it does good, really really good.

My only issue with the 950XL is that the 1520 running 10586 is so fantastic that the "need" for a new flagship is now just the desire for Continuum. (For me anyways) But I am someone that will benefit from Continuum immediately. And I am expecting the development of Continuum to broaden its appeal to many more folks in the near future.

Gonna be hard to take that SIM out of that 2+ year old RED masterpiece. (Never dropped or scratched. Protected by Folio case)

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I started on WP7, so I've never experienced the app gap. However I've never really missed out on an app that my friends might be able to get on their Android because the company usually has a good mobile site available. Such as banking sites.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a Samsung Note Edge as my primary phone for the past year. I used AppComparison and was pleasantly surprised most of my frequently used apps are available, including Bank of America which I thought had been pulled. The app I am really going to miss is Subway sandwiches. I'm interested to see how the 950 XL will compare in daily use. One Android/iOS feature I will not miss is mobile payments, which I used maybe four times before accepting that it's just easier using a credit card. My two concerns at this point with the 950 XL are 1) apps and 2) bugs and glitches. All phones have problems, the camera app on the Samsung fails 20% of the time and the iPhone 6 Plus randomly decides not to play audio-- I won't even get into the problems with Google Now and Siri. Still I have read a lot of online complaints about Windows 10 Mobile and after the Xbox Music app fiasco I'm APPrehensive.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have been using a Samsung Note Edge as my primary phone for the past year. I used AppComparison and was pleasantly surprised most of my frequently used apps are available, including Bank of America which I thought had been pulled. The app I am really going to miss is Subway sandwiches. I'm interested to see how the 950 XL will compare in daily use. One Android/iOS feature I will not miss is mobile payments, which I used maybe four times before accepting that it's just easier using a credit card. My two concerns at this point with the 950 XL are 1) apps and 2) bugs and glitches. All phones have problems, the camera app on the Samsung fails 20% of the time and the iPhone 6 Plus randomly decides not to play audio-- I won't even get into the problems with Google Now and Siri. Still I have read a lot of online complaints about Windows 10 Mobile and after the Xbox Music app fiasco I'm APPrehensive.

Bank of America has been pulled so you are right to be APPrehensive (loved that).

However Windows 10 is pretty neat now. Sure apps are still the biggest weakness, but I can say I love my phone more since Windows 10 has arrived.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Ultimately I canceled my order because there's a few apps that I'm apprehensive about missing. Google photos being the big one. I currently have 100+GB of pics/vids stored there that I share with my wife and have auto uploaded. I'm just not sure if I could live day to day without it. There are alternatives but none would house my 100gb for free as Google would. Some other apps were missing as well. I just don't think I can justify a high end device right now.

Maybe I can start out on a lower end windows device. The prices should be coming down now that the 950 is out. Any suggestions for my first taste of windows?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ultimately I canceled my order because there's a few apps that I'm apprehensive about missing. Google photos being the big one. I currently have 100+GB of pics/vids stored there that I share with my wife and have auto uploaded. I'm just not sure if I could live day to day without it. There are alternatives but none would house my 100gb for free as Google would. Some other apps were missing as well. I just don't think I can justify a high end device right now.

Maybe I can start out on a lower end windows device. The prices should be coming down now that the 950 is out. Any suggestions for my first taste of windows?

Get a cheap Lumia 930 off eBay or something or even 1520. If that's too much money, get Lumia 640 XL or Lumia 640 depending on your taste in screen sizes.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Bank of America has been pulled so you are right to be APPrehensive (loved that).

However Windows 10 is pretty neat now. Sure apps are still the biggest weakness, but I can say I love my phone more since Windows 10 has arrived.

AppComparison must be out of date because it lists Bank of America. Before I ordered the 950 XL I went to Bank of America's mobile website on my Android phone and decided I didn't need an app. The only feature I noticed missing from the website is depositing a check via photo, which I tried once for fun but never made a habit of using.

I just looked up Subway sandwiches mobile website and I can order sandwiches and pay just like the app! Yeah! With mobile websites I may not miss as many apps as I thought. Using the 950 XL will be interesting.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Get a cheap Lumia 930 off eBay or something or even 1520. If that's too much money, get Lumia 640 XL or Lumia 640 depending on your taste in screen sizes.

I agree. I considered getting a used Lumia 1520 but liked the look and feels of the 950XL in the store. I have had a good experiences buying and selling phones on Swappa.com.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)