Double Tap to wake is gone on 950/950XL OS...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was prepping dinner, hands all mucked up, recipe on phone, stupid screen timed out, only had elbows to wake up the phone, oh wait, no double tap! grrrrrrr

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
you'd be surprised how a relatively small feature can affect the user experience.

I wish more people had that attitude, for me its the small things that irritates me the most. All OS:es have come a long way so now its the small stuff that affect your productivity on a daily bases. Take Swype for instance, it works pretty great on Android and iOS but on WP its a gamble every time.
The windows touch button in the middle, annoying as hell. I keep touching it when i'm writing by mistake. This does not happen on my LG G4. Small things but when there are enough of these things put together the experience gets destroyed in the process.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was prepping dinner, hands all mucked up, recipe on phone, stupid screen timed out, only had elbows to wake up the phone, oh wait, no double tap! grrrrrrr
You must have some impressive karate moves if you can double tap to unlock your phone with your elbow! (and yes, they should bring back this feature asap)

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Tap-To-Wake will most likely be added during a future update.

I like Michael's reviews, second only to Lisa Gade, so yeah I'm a bit saddened that the WP/W10M platform has fallen from his favor. Also acting as a catalyst were WP fans, so bitter and angry all the time. Pity.

Haha love Lisa to ^^ my favorite reviewer including Michael Fisher and wow does that article still holds truth. Kind of sad really. Hopefully it gets added. Absurd it wasn't included when it officially came out

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
That was actually one of the reasons I recently returned my Lumia 950xl. The missing double tap to wake was never mentioned by any MS rep. Ppl just expecting it's going to be added later, but there is no reason to wait. WM10 already has it working on different Lumia models. Looks like a patent issue to me. Or a major battery problem. Another issue I didn't like was creaking of the back cover. That even can't be fixed by software, new covers are not expected to help and even Mozo covers have similar issues.

I fixed the creak with black electric tape, just padded the inside where NFC and Qi are not. The device feels very solid now, much more premium in feel.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The real issue here, is not double tap to wake or not. It's the new Microsoft method to amend datasheet AFTER the product is released.

When I checked the 950 (not XL, but similar consequences) datasheet before ordering it, it stated : double tap to wake, FM tuner, SuperSensitiveTouch.

I have none of these, and NOW, Microsoft have amended the datasheet on their different national stores to remove (quietly) FM tuner, double tap and replace SST by "multicapacitive touch" for the 950.

Maybe SST is enabled later by OS on 950 (like for the XL, I believe it's still not present in Extras/Touch), but then why amend the 950 datasheet and not the XL one?

Is it even legal to rewrite history once the product is out by amending datasheet and pretending they never said feature A or feature B was coming with our 950 or 950 XL?

I hate Microsoft for that (but I'm keeping my 950 lol).

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
The real issue here, is not double tap to wake or not. It's the new Microsoft method to amend datasheet AFTER the product is released.

When I checked the 950 (not XL, but similar consequences) datasheet before ordering it, it stated : double tap to wake, FM tuner, SuperSensitiveTouch.

I have none of these, and NOW, Microsoft have amended the datasheet on their different national stores to remove (quietly) FM tuner, double tap and replace SST by "multicapacitive touch" for the 950.

Maybe SST is enabled later by OS on 950 (like for the XL, I believe it's still not present in Extras/Touch), but then why amend the 950 datasheet and not the XL one?

Is it even legal to rewrite history once the product is out by amending datasheet and pretending they never said feature A or feature B was coming with our 950 or 950 XL?

I hate Microsoft for that (but I'm keeping my 950 lol).

You need to download the FM Radio app from memory. Mine has it.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
the-scotsman said:
You need to download the FM Radio app from memory. Mine has it.

The missing FM radio app affects only 950, not XL. If you own a 950 and are able to make the FM tuner work, I suggest to continue the discussion here : http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/386723-lumia-950-missing-fm-radio.html to avoid off-topic on this thread.

But AFAIK, the 950 HAS the FMtuner but Microsoft have decided NOT to enable it, for Q/A reasons, when US consumers say that with a third party app, it works perfectly well. In the EU, though, even third party apps don't seem to work.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You must have some impressive karate moves if you can double tap to unlock your phone with your elbow! (and yes, they should bring back this feature asap)

Lol it's far from graceful and recommended best practice but it works in a pinch! Maybe like triple or quadruple touches needed ;)

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I just go me the 950XL. Paid full price at the Microsoft store.
This is the first time I've bought a flagship phone outright! Wow lots of cash! (Plus I paid the $100 warranty).

Anyway I kept trying to double tap it like I do on my 1520 and it wasn't working.
Then I looked in the settings. Nothing.
This explains it.

I wont take the phone back because of it but I hope they bring that feature back!
The power button between the volume buttons is dumb. I imaging we will get used to it though.
At least the phone is fast.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I give up, having the worst browser experience and missing this and other basic features made me realize i just dont want to waste more time on this dead horse. I went back to my LG G4 and man its a joy! I still use my iPhone 6S plus as well but between the LG G4 and the 950 XL i take the G4 any day!
It has double tap for wakeup/sleep. The Browser or browsers work just sooooo much better and the other programs like spotify, flipboard are miles better.
I cant believe how bad the programs are on the 950 XL. Same game run smooth on the lower end hardware G4 but on 950 XL it stutters like hell. Even Spotify is a pain. And why doesnt the swype from the edge of phone work in any program. Once you get use to it there is no going back. This is the standard in iOS and Android these days.
Anyone want a pretty much new 950 XL + dockstation + case i'm selling. I'm in Sweden though :/

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Follow up question:

"Why it is so difficult for WC to demand an explanation why the double tap to wake feature is missing in WM10?"

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss