Double Tap to wake is gone on 950/950XL OS...

Sam Holt

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I agree. They need to say 950Xl/950
I have bought into this ecosystem whole heartedly. I have a surface a 950XL and a microsoft band. I totally love it all, except my old 1520 had double tap to wake that worked perfectly on my desk on a wireless charger while I was busy at work. My new TOP OF THE LINE 950XL doesn't have that simple feature that made life so much easier. C'mon microsoft!! Get your stuff together. I tell everyone I meet how superior you OS is, but I refuse to lie when you lose basic features with a flagship product!!

akiramike

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Everyone needs to go to the feedback hub to +1 the double tab and comment for the 950/950xl.

Unfortunately I'm not on insider and I'm still using my 1520 because of double tap to wake. I did however rate my phone low and said I needed the double tap. Is there any other way to give feedback without joining insider?

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up my 950xl. Loving this phone so far. I was really worried that I would miss double tap to wake and held off upgrading due to it. While I'm annoyed it is not a reason to hold off. I'm really surprised by how well hello and the iris scanner work. I hope they bring double tap to wake soon, I do really miss that great feature.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree, MS needs to bring back double tap, because when I have my L950XL in the wireless car charger I have to fumble with the power button to see my screen, whereas it would be so easy to double tap the screen to wake the phone. I can't fathom why MS finds this so difficult to enable such a great feature to have and should have been implemented right from the beginning! I find MS not making smart and good decisions lately.... although this isn't a good enough reason in my mind to pass on this phone because of the lack of double tap to wake... that's like refusing to buy a Lamborghini because it doesn't come with a lighter... lol

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree, MS needs to bring back double tap, because when I have my L950XL in the wireless car charger I have to fumble with the power button to see my screen, whereas it would be so easy to double tap the screen to wake the phone. I can't fathom why MS finds this so difficult to enable such a great feature to have and should have been implemented right from the beginning! I find MS not making smart and good decisions lately.... although this isn't a good enough reason in my mind to pass on this phone because of the lack of double tap to wake... that's like refusing to buy a Lamborghini because it doesn't come with a lighter... lol

try shouting hey cortana or flicking the power to the charger on and off. thats what i do

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
try shouting hey cortana or flicking the power to the charger on and off. thats what i do

Hey Cortana really doesn't work well for me in the car, not any time really.... like I just tried it now, no response. But if I open up Cortana then it seems to work after. But the thing is that it's supposed to be working at all times. I'm ok dealing with bad battery life with EVERY feature on and stuff connected but have it working :)

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Yea, they already have double tap to turn off, so I don't know why it's so hard to do the opposite?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea, they already have double tap to turn off, so I don't know why it's so hard to do the opposite?

I'm not excusing it or anything, but maybe I can shed some light on the complexity of the thing.

DTTW is quite a bit different in that the device is asleep when its used. Sure, its a double tap on the screen, but it means the touch panel would have to be on most of the time and it might pose power management issues, quirky things, etc.

Although to be honest, I just feel Mobile's underfunded/staffed and they're trying to do the best they can since its not a "critical" feature or bug.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So reaching an inch or two further to the power button is really that hard of a task.

We've been spoiled. It's like Glance! It's hardly a big feature, being literally a clock on paper, but it makes a disproportionately large impact on the workflow.

Take Android's Ambient Display. It's just like Glance! But the display's touch panel is on at that time. Does it make a difference? Not on paper, but it was such an annoyance to see the phone wake up in my hand that I turned it off.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
It is when it comes to using the 950XL. And how long before the physical power button gives out to wear & tear of overuse of turning the display/lock screen on?
And Double Tap to Wake is a lot easier to use when the phones side buttons are awkward to get to when in a car cradle (my usage is mostly Play/Pausing podcasts when I am stopped at a delivery doing multi-drops in the work van).

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
My first insider phone was lucky enough to get the double tap to wake, since the new builds after that, I haven't seen it. I received the 950 on the next build after the one with the tap to wake. I seen on the 950 double tap to sleep, not to wake., but when my BLU phone received the newest build, I didn't see double tap to sleep. Seem like if you
don't catch the feature during a build, you miss out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs