Double Tap to wake is gone on 950/950XL OS...

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
^
send tweets to @GabeAul @Microsoft @WindowsPhoneSupport @WindowsInsider

User Actions
Following

‏@GabeAul Double tap on 950 is a common request, upvote it in Feedback Hub!

My reply to Abe:
‏@rupertholmes @GabeAul I did upvote at every opportunity, my final upvote was to return the Xl and go back to my 1020 w/8.1.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
^
Good! Dumb question but does the 1020 support running W10M? If so you could still have W10 AND DTtW. Just like I do with 930.

Also, do you still like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain?

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I did take the 1020 to an early version of 10, double tap worked. There were just so many things that were not finished that rolled back to 8.1. I use the the 1020 for so many photo ops that I am not willing risk it. I purchased a 635 to test the upgrades, it did not have double tap. I also purchased a 640LTE, the $30 one. It does have DT with 10 and is a really nice phone.
Yes, did have the instrumental riff from Escape as my ring tone for years. You are showing our age.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, I guess it is a wrap on double tap for the XL. Unlikely to be any additional improvements to a dead phone line. Maybe, I can pick up another 1020 for cheap. Until someone comes up with something close to it's camera features, I will just carry the 1020.

ejbrod1

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, I guess it is a wrap on double tap for the XL. Unlikely to be any additional improvements to a dead phone line. Maybe, I can pick up another 1020 for cheap. Until someone comes up with something close to it's camera features, I will just carry the 1020.

Has it been confirmed DTTW will not be initialized for the 950/950XL?

If so, do you have a link to the source? Thanks!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no confirmation one way or the other. However, note the wording in FAQ article I quoted earlier in this thread.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
They still didn't address directly the 950/XL, just generic, "devices that support this feature". Ok sure it's obvious only the 950/XL have the "problem" but they didn't actually say 950/XL is supposed to have it :)

Call me a skeptic but even though they replied to the ones saying 950/950XL, they still said supported devices and never explicitly said, yes the 950/950XL should have it :)

akiramike

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So how long for Microsoft to finally give us back this basic and important feature? Anniversary update? A year? Shouldn't insiders be trialing it by now?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So how long for Microsoft to finally give us back this basic and important feature? Anniversary update? A year? Shouldn't insiders be trialing it by now?

I'd break out my Magic 8 Ball to tell you but it was automatically upgraded to a Magic 10 Ball and its now saying nothing but "Your answers aren't working. Try shaking me again."

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Likely little chance of it happening now they've finally come clean about their consumer aspirations, as in they have none. Probably not much call for such a feature in the enterprise so I wouldn't hold my breath.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Likely little chance of it happening now they've finally come clean about their consumer aspirations, as in they have none.

No that's not fair to say, they hope OEMs will cover the consumer space. Hardware wise, microsoft wants to focus on enterprise level stuff.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Likely little chance of it happening now they've finally come clean about their consumer aspirations, as in they have none. Probably not much call for such a feature in the enterprise so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I said this on the 18th, after the announcement. This thread is six page of comments and it is not the only thread on the subject, MS knows it is an important feature to users. Maybe the hardware cannot do it. I have the $30 640LTE for 10 testing and it does.

The push to a business class phone is a failed dream. Except for the real security jobs, been there, where there is no camera, no bluetooth, no wifi, most business does not care what phone you have. HP will abandon the X3 phone, like the TouchPad, I have a TouchPad, Follow the money.

Having had the 950XL, day one, kept for a month and a half. Tapping it everyday. Returning it as my last up vote for doubletap.

From where I stand the 1020 is still the best phone for my needs.
All I wanted was a faster 1020, I am waiting.

Ron Tarnofsky

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
If anyone looked deeply into this, they would note that "Double tap to wake" is Nokia technology, and as Microsoft moves further away, will disappear, ie. Here.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If anyone looked deeply into this, they would note that "Double tap to wake" is Nokia technology, and as Microsoft moves further away, will disappear, ie. Here.

Glance isn't going anywhere though, it actually got incorporated into the OS itself. Here is also there, with a Microsoft swing under the "Maps" app, incase you didn't know. So, where's your logic? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium