4K duration

Mealiavi

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I would like to know for how much time we can record a 4k video with Lumia 950 XL? Can we record a 4k video for 1 hour without overheating?
And does the phone has capacity for the file? Or do we need to buy a 32 gb memory card ? How much is the size of a 1 hour 4k video file from this phone?

There are some great full concert videos with RSS sound from Lumia 1020 and 1520 that last 1 hour or more. I am just woundering if we could record 4k video that last 1 hour with this Lumia 950 XL.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello

I would like to know for how much time we can record a 4k video with Lumia 950 XL? Can we record a 4k video for 1 hour without overheating?
And does the phone has capacity for the file? Or do we need to buy a 32 gb memory card ? How much is the size of a 1 hour 4k video file from this phone?
There are some great full concert videos with RSS sound from Lumia 1020 and 1520 that last 1 hour or more. I am just woundering if we could record 4k video that last 1 hour with this Lumia 950 XL.

your going to need a lot of space for 4k video, the phone will do fine, I recored for ages on my Lumia 930, get a 128gb SD card for it :) that is all

Mealiavi

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info. But I am afraid if the phone can hang on recording 4k for 1 hour or even more. I read somewhere old phones like lumia 1520 and androids only could record 15 to 5 minutes of 4k video.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. But I am afraid if the phone can hang on recording 4k for 1 hour or even more. I read somewhere old phones like lumia 1520 and androids only could record 15 to 5 minutes of 4k video.

Especially in the case of the XL with the additional cooling...I'm guessing recording duration will probably only be limited by your available storage. Will be interesting to see some real-world tests when people get them in their hands soon.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Also make sure you buy the right memory card I had two different brand UH1 cards and they had problems with 4k. Make sure you buy a UH3. I ended up buying the Lexar 633x 64Gb, the 128Gb at the time was UH1.

Mealiavi

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
So still anyone knows for how long can we record a 4k video with Lumia 950 XL ?

Anyone recorded a video for 1 hour? I really would like to know if this phone can hang on recording for 1 hour or even more.

A54D

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
So still anyone knows for how long can we record a 4k video with Lumia 950 XL ?

Anyone recorded a video for 1 hour? I really would like to know if this phone can hang on recording for 1 hour or even more.

It depends on the storage. If you have a fast Micro SD card then it should work until that fills.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't find the spec for the phone, but it's important to note that most digital recorders which are NOT classified as camcorders have a legal limit of 30 minutes if they are sold in the EU. This is due to some stupid tax law that adds a 4-5% duty on camcorders. And last I checked it was still on the books. Certain things don't fall under it, such as timelapse recording. But the major record function fell into it last time I checked. So for continuous recording, this may not be a good solution.

EDIT: I just confirmed this is still the case for Android. 30 minute (arbitrary) max.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I just tested with the 950 XL. At *exactly* 30 minutes I got a popup that 'your phone is overheating and recording has been shut down.' I was monitoring temperature with an arduino monitor from our device testing lab at work. It never changed after 5 minutes in, when it hit 38.7 Celsius. So it wasn't a heat issue. I'm positive this is the 30 minute shutdown. So no, you will not be able to record longer than 30 minutes on the 950XL.

EDIT: Confirmed. The duty is still active and is classified under 8525 40 99 of the EU tariff and duty schedule. To NOT be classified, any device must not be able to record continuously for longer than 30 minutes.

Last edited:

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure it's not another issue causing your recording to stop at 30 minutes? I tried to record 4K on my Lumia 950 XL and was able to go past the 30 minute mark without any issues. It "was" notciably "warmer" than normal function after that recording time frame, but not hot or anything. Oh, and 13GB size for 36 minutes recorded so around average of 6MB/s (~48mb/s) needed for 4K recording on the XL for anyone interested on the video stats.

I would imagine that the 4K recording should only have a storage limitation limit on it, or whatever the filesystem limitation is on Windows Mobile 10.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure it's not another issue causing your recording to stop at 30 minutes? I tried to record 4K on my Lumia 950 XL and was able to go past the 30 minute mark without any issues. It "was" notciably "warmer" than normal function after that recording time frame, but not hot or anything. Oh, and 13GB size for 36 minutes recorded so around average of 6MB/s (~48mb/s) needed for 4K recording on the XL for anyone interested on the video stats.

I would imagine that the 4K recording should only have a storage limitation limit on it, or whatever the filesystem limitation is on Windows Mobile 10.

I'm not sure. This is just the experiment I did. And I do know for an absolute fact that it's why DSLRs can't do more than 30 minutes. MS may be in violation (Google has it hard coded into their default camera app) but because of market share they aren't being hit. Or they may just eat the duty on EU units. Again, not 100% sure, but pretty confident. However your data suggests different. I know my phone stopped at exactly 30 minutes and the heat hadn't changed at all in 25 minutes. That's not to say there's not a 'sustained temp over time' trigger.

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to leave the XL recording flat on the back (front that is) and leave it recording 4K, will see if it'll stop at 1 Hour or if it's just as long as it can go. Back in a few hours.

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
OK, the XL stopped recording at around the 1 hour mark, at 1 hour 1 minute 53 seconds odd on my one on it's own, as I was not observing it, I can't make any comments on what was the cause at this time. Phone was "warm" (noticably warm, but not overly so). File was at ~22GB in size. Will go again to see if it'll stop at at this recording time frame again and monitor it closer to this recording time. Back later with more info.

:: edit ::

Forgot to add, 1 hour 4K recording took around 48% from a full charge from battery. So don't expect more than 2 hours worth from 1 full charge via the battery that's shipped with the XL.

Last edited:

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So, I have tried to record again twice, the first time was interrupted at 33 minutes when a call came in and the phone stopped recording. The second time the phone shot a message up at 34 minutes 54 seconds that the system was overheating and was saving the video recording and leaving the phone a chance to cool down. So there is a "overheat" protection going on regarding the camera, but if you can keep the phone cool I don't see why you won't be able to keep recording. So the next test I'll do is to have a fan or something else to help with the cooling/heat dissipation and see if the phone can record for longer than 1 hour, currently, from what I have observed, I would imagine you can, only you need to keep the device as cool as possible.

The Meddling Monk

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So I have exceeded the previous 1 hour recording (1 hour 1 minute 53 seconds), and the XL is still recording over the 1 hour mark (as of this posting, 1 hour 15+ minutes). So it would appear that the XL suffers from overheating protection from 4K camera recording, but in actuallity can keep going for as long as you have storage and have power reaching the device WITH the device not overheating. (Current test setup has 3 bottles of water acting as radiators for the XL)

I won't be able to reach the file limit of Windows 10 Mobile unless I attempt the 4K recording whilst connected to the mains, but I'd assume that it'll be the same as Windows 10, which should be around 256 TB from the 2012 Server edition of NTFS. Which is way more than what is held on the Lumia 950 XL even with the 2TB theoretical maximum SD Card. So I'll just leave the phone to finish recording when the power runs low and report back on what it defaults to doing. But I'd say there's no limit "in theory" to recording in 4K from what I've seen tonight.

As for the OP, the 1 Hour video at 4K on my XL appears to be around 22-23GB in size. So if you get the current 200GB card, you can in theory fit in 8 odd hours of 4K recording, continuous recording (possibly) even. But you'll need a few batteries to go through (or a charging point), along with something to keep the XL cool. From what occamsmonkey and I have seen and tested, it appears that the XL will go fine for around 30 odd minutes before it feels it needs to stop the recording to prevent overheating of the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb