01-31-2016 08:16 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    So I have been considering getting a Lumia 950 or 950 XL but I am currently on Virgin Mobile and they don't support unlocked phones. If I get one of these phones I was going to switch to T-Mobile but wanted to make sure the phone will work before switching. Does anyone with T-Mobile have this phone yet and does it work as expected?
    11-25-2015 04:14 AM
    I should be getting my phone today. Once I get it in and confirm if it works or not I'll post here. :)
    11-25-2015 06:10 AM
    Looks like we have some click bait thread working here. Please consider updating your thread title you have not confirmed that it works on TMO since your are actually asking a question. the phone supports the bands required for use on TMO network but whether HD Voice and WiFi calling works or will work in the future is still up in the air. So please re title the thread to maybe something like "Can anyone confirm Lumia 950XL working on T-Mobile."
    pankaj981 likes this.
    11-25-2015 06:22 AM
    Added a question mark to the thread title. Looks more appropriate now.
    Muessig and pankaj981 like this.
    11-25-2015 08:09 AM
    It should work just fine. It appears to have all of T-mobiles bands.
    11-25-2015 08:47 AM
    If you get it from MS store, the phone should be unlocked, then you can use on T mobile
    11-25-2015 10:14 AM
    If there is any carrier that it will work on in the US with 100% certainty, it is T-Mobile.
    editguy likes this.
    11-25-2015 10:33 AM
    I've got the 950XL and I can confirm it works on Tmo. I can't confirm the additional features, such as WiFi calling but normal calling, texting, and voicemail work fine.

It should actually work better than my previously unlocked 830 as it has Tmo's new band 12...which may mean I'll get decent service in buildings (at least I hope). Wont be able to test that for a few days.
    jmajid, libra89, Raylz and 1 others like this.
    11-25-2015 02:20 PM
    So I have been considering getting a Lumia 950 or 950 XL but I am currently on Virgin Mobile and they don't support unlocked phones. If I get one of these phones I was going to switch to T-Mobile but wanted to make sure the phone will work before switching. Does anyone with T-Mobile have this phone yet and does it work as expected?

I'm using it with T-Mobile. Strong LTE reception for me, better than the Nexus 5. Hotspot looks good too.

Sent from mTalk
    jmajid, libra89, editguy and 1 others like this.
    11-25-2015 02:59 PM
    I'm using it with T-Mobile. Strong LTE reception for me, better than the Nexus 5. Hotspot looks good too.

Sent from mTalk
    wifi calling work?
    11-25-2015 03:00 PM
    wifi calling work?

Where it's the setting, do you know?
    11-25-2015 03:04 PM
    Where it's the setting, do you know?
    no sure don't..I don't have one yet. If I had to guess, it would be in the cellular and sim area of the settings->system->phone menu section
    11-25-2015 03:08 PM
    Tried to see if I could force WiFi calling by turning off my cell signal and using WiFi....no dice. I can't for the life of me find anywhere to enable or disable the feature.

Also, Visual Voicemail doesn't seem to work or I can't find where to enable it. It was working on my 830 with 10586 just fine, so it's there....but where? I contacted Tmo to turn it off and back on from their end to see if that helps.

It is soo much faster than the 830 (which seemed to be roughly the same as my previous 925)...not a single "resuming" yet.
    11-25-2015 03:57 PM
    Tried to see if I could force WiFi calling by turning off my cell signal and using WiFi....no dice. I can't for the life of me find anywhere to enable or disable the feature.

Also, Visual Voicemail doesn't seem to work or I can't find where to enable it. It was working on my 830 with 10586 just fine, so it's there....but where? I contacted Tmo to turn it off and back on from their end to see if that helps.

It is soo much faster than the 830 (which seemed to be roughly the same as my previous 925)...not a single "resuming" yet.
    Damnnn. WiFi calling is a big deal for me. I wonder if they could add it in afterwards, or if it would only work on branded ones. I've never brought an unlocked phone to TMoible and had it worked. But maybe it'd be different if they ended up picking the phone up.
    11-25-2015 04:49 PM
    Ugh, oh man. No WiFi calling is a huge deal breaker for me! I use it every day at work...... At this point I may just have to cave and get an unlocked iPhone.......
    11-25-2015 06:08 PM
    No wifi calling would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

On Windows Phone 8.1, Wifi Calling is an app. It's not in settings. Is it listed as an app?

I put it right on my main screen for easy access. I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, I need it and turn it on.

Also, with my T-Mobile cellspot (femtocell), not only do I have five bars in the house I also have HD Voice.

I figure, if it doesn't yet have all the T-Mobile goodies, I'll wait. If nothing else, it looks as if T-Mobile is getting the 950XL.
    11-25-2015 06:17 PM
    Damnnn. WiFi calling is a big deal for me. I wonder if they could add it in afterwards, or if it would only work on branded ones. I've never brought an unlocked phone to TMoible and had it worked.
    FWIW. My unlocked HTC One A9 (Android) worked with T-Mobile WiFi calling out of the box (T-Mo doesn't carry the A9 themselves). For their visual voice mail I had to down a T-Mo app through the Google Play Store, but I don't think we can do that with Windows Mobile.
    11-25-2015 06:26 PM
    No wifi calling would be a huge dealbreaker for me.

On Windows Phone 8.1, Wifi Calling is an app. It's not in settings. Is it listed as an app?
    Depends on the phone for T-Mobile L640s its in settings.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-25-2015 07:33 PM
    I had WiFi calling on my 925, it was via an app. Never saw it in the 830 with Insider Preview or on the 950 XL. I've searched in settings and spent a fair amount of time looking on the internet. People talk about how the 950 XL support voip/WiFi calling...but they don't talk about how to enable it. I've gone through most settings looking for it and Visual Voicemail with no luck finding anything.
    11-25-2015 07:59 PM
    I had WiFi calling on my 925, it was via an app. Never saw it in the 830 with Insider Preview or on the 950 XL. I've searched in settings and spent a fair amount of time looking on the internet. People talk about how the 950 XL support voip/WiFi calling...but they don't talk about how to enable it. I've gone through most settings looking for it and Visual Voicemail with no luck finding anything.
    It doesn't look like T-Mobile will allow WiFi calling on these. Maybe they could but might think more people will buy a T-Mobile locked phone to get it than will go to another carrier if its not there. Of course their theory goes out the window (pardon the pun) when they don't offer a phone remotely close to these.

BUT I believe T-Mobile will loan a sort of mini-tower to people who have bad reception. It hooks to your router and provides a strong cell signal inside the building. The effect is the same: your calls go over the internet but the transfer happens outside the phone rather than in it. I don't know 100% if they don't do something dumb and block non T-Mobile phones, but if the reason for no WiFi calling for BYOD phones is technical and not misguided, those technical reasons wouldn't apply to BYOD phones and the mini-tower because the phone thinks its using a real tower.
    11-25-2015 08:22 PM
    In Windows 10 it's still an app like on my 925 8.1.
    I don't see why T-mo would deliberately block it since they have promoted that they are a BYOD uncarrier. But when it comes to carriers, who knows.
    11-25-2015 08:31 PM
    It doesn't look like T-Mobile will allow WiFi calling on these. Maybe they could but might think more people will buy a T-Mobile locked phone to get it than will go to another carrier if its not there. Of course their theory goes out the window (pardon the pun) when they don't offer a phone remotely close to these.

BUT I believe T-Mobile will loan a sort of mini-tower to people who have bad reception. It hooks to your router and provides a strong cell signal inside the building. The effect is the same: your calls go over the internet but the transfer happens outside the phone rather than in it. I don't know 100% if they don't do something dumb and block non T-Mobile phones, but if the reason for no WiFi calling for BYOD phones is technical and not misguided, those technical reasons wouldn't apply to BYOD phones and the mini-tower because the phone thinks its using a real tower.

I have the cellspot your describing and it works great. My wife's phone is a t-mobile 810 and mine is a unlocked/unbranded 830 RM-985 and they both jump on the local signal with full bars of signal throughout the house. I even get 3 bars of signal inside the refrigerator with the door closed (I had to test, yes). $25 deposit plus shipping and they send it out...literally just have to find a good central spot in the house, plug it into your LAN, and it just works. It needs to have a gps signal to do its provisioning, and it comes with an external gps antenna with a long wire that you can move around if you need to in order for it to get a lock. Only caveat is that I *think* only t-mobile SIMs will use it..haven't tried anybody else's phone at the house to see but I think I remember reading that somewhere.

So, while that solves the problem at the house, it doesn't solve the issue of poor signal reception at the office that wifi calling would..but luckily that's not an issue for me. With the 700Mhz stuff rolling out that's becoming less of an issue (assuming the unlocked 950XL can do VoLTE on t-mobile, that is).
    jmajid likes this.
    11-25-2015 08:33 PM

The T-Mobile Cellspot (a femtocell) is a mini cell tower in your home, plumbed into your broadband. Your phone has full LTE coverage, and even has HD Voice.

It's limited to T-Mobile phones. Any phones; there's no need for registering any given phone for it to work.

But that covers only your phone. What about when you're out and about? I spent a bit of time in hospitals this year (as a visitor) and wifi calling saved me. There was no T-Mobile cellular penetration at all, so I simply attached to the facility wifi and turned on wifi calling.

No wifi calling means no phone for me. If I want a 950XL, I'll have to wait for T-Mobile to offer it or for T-Mo and MS to get together on how to make all the T-Mo functionality (including visual voicemail) appear on it.
    11-25-2015 09:26 PM
    Confirmed. 950xl unlocked comes dual sim and works great on T-Mobile. Happy Lumia-ing! 😁
    Last edited by Mike Santagata; 11-25-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    TechAbstract and jmajid like this.
    11-25-2015 09:28 PM
    Confirmed. 950xl unlocked comes dual sim and works great on T-Mobile. Happy Lumia-ing!
    Define "great".

If by "missing wifi calling and visual voicemail," then yes, "great".

But keep in mind that T-Mobile is also having phone manufacturers turn OFF LTE band 12 due to lack of T-Mobile's VoLTE.

Until T-Mobile offers it, it looks like the 950XL does not work "great" on their network. I daresay my 635 works better.
    LindenSims likes this.
    11-25-2015 11:43 PM
77 123 ...