950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Nobody should ever have to mess with APN settings. With a suitable SIM everything should be configured automatically. Can you even make phone calls/send SMSes? If those don't work then the phone is defective or the SIM is defective or invalid in some way.

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Nobody should ever have to mess with APN settings. With a suitable SIM everything should be configured automatically. Can you even make phone calls/send SMSes? If those don't work then the phone is defective or the SIM is defective or invalid in some way.

Texts/Calls work great. MMS/data do not. It isn't the phone, but rather something with the network. It shows AT&T 4g as well so I am truly confused.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The SIM card is not provisioned correctly. Only choice is to go to a AT&T store and have them replace the SIM. You do not pay anything for that except that you need to spend 5 min in a store. I've had "no data" problem before on other phones (Samsung and Lumia) and it means that SIM is not provisioned correctly. AT&T has to fix it on their end. Usually they just swap out the SIM cards for free. Newer sim cards are also secure SIMs, so there is that. Might as well get the latest SIM.

There is nothing you can do on your end. And if there is, it will take you longer than simply replacing the SIM. This is not a OS bug, nor is it a local connection problem. It's the SIM itself.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting ... I'm on AT&T and i get LTE on my 950XL. I didn't do anything special, just took the sim card from my old phone (Note 5) and placed it in 950XL and i got LTE after 10-15 min from power on ... Maybe is your sim card ...

plink212

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
While I am not disputing that in AT&Ts situation this should be the case, for MVNOs smaller networks you are normally bringing your own settings as the phone is configuring those profiles not the sim (network+ in 8.1).
In this instance it seems a bit weird that the old phone supported the APN but the new one doesn't, so I don't see how it is the SIM unless AT&T are doing something funky like requiring a certain IMEI to IMSI mapping to pass data.

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
While I am not disputing that in AT&Ts situation this should be the case, for MVNOs smaller networks you are normally bringing your own settings as the phone is configuring those profiles not the sim (network+ in 8.1).
In this instance it seems a bit weird that the old phone supported the APN but the new one doesn't, so I don't see how it is the SIM unless AT&T are doing something funky like requiring a certain IMEI to IMSI mapping to pass data.

Even on MVNOs the MVNO can and should push out its own settings, though I have seen this get screwed up before.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue. Got a new Nano sim from AT&T store (previous phone was a Lumia 1020), and so far I am only getting 4G, no LTE. Date does work though, just slow... We tried messing with the APN settings but no luck.

Does the SIM card have to be in a specific slot?

Eby Creek

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem on 2 640 XL's. It can only be fixed at the AT&T store. Has to do with registering the sim. Nothing you can fix on your own.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the love with at&t for 1 hour and even with a manager. They are telling me that the 950xl is not provisioned for LTE on their network.

I keep telling them that s impossible, it should work just like the 950 and that other people have it using LTE, but getting no where.

I even got a brand new nano sim from at&t!

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar issue as well. Went to the AT&T Store to get a nano SIM, and the associate put it in slot SIM 1. So far, have only obtained 4G, no LTE. Thinking about heading back to the store to see if a replacement can fix it, especially if someone managed to get LTE with their SIM from another device.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the love with at&t for 1 hour and even with a manager. They are telling me that the 950xl is not provisioned for LTE on their network.

I keep telling them that s impossible, it should work just like the 950 and that other people have it using LTE, but getting no where.

I even got a brand new nano sim from at&t!

I think both the account and the individual device (IMEI) must be provisioned for LTE to work. I remember this issue popping up time to time in various forums. I can't explain why it "just works" for some people and not for others..maybe there's an auto-provisioning thing that is breaking down for some people and that is why they need to be manually provisioned.

for example:
Nexus 5 LTE on AT&T - IMEI, provisioning, etc... - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just started restoring onto my XL, and it shows AT&T LTE in the bar up top. I haven't tested data speeds or connectivity since I'm restoring all my apps right now over Wi-Fi. I'll validate that stuff in a bit.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Just started restoring onto my XL, and it shows AT&T LTE in the bar up top. I haven't tested data speeds or connectivity since I'm restoring all my apps right now over Wi-Fi. I'll validate that stuff in a bit.

So you just started doing a device reset and now it's working?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
LTE working fine here on my XL.

I popped my SIM card in before I started up the phone for the first time. Most smartphones made in this day and age should automagically recognize the SIM card and adjust the APN settings to match.

Just remember that you won't see the LTE sign if you are on Wi-Fi. You can either disconnect from Wi-Fi to see if it jumps onto LTE or pull down the action center to see the little LTE sign underneath the signal indicators.

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

If this works out for you, hope this would be a good fix for those who didn't do too much with their phones yet.

LTE working fine here on my XL.

I popped my SIM card in before I started up the phone for the first time. Most smartphones made in this day and age should automagically recognize the SIM card and adjust the APN settings to match.

Just remember that you won't see the LTE sign if you are on Wi-Fi. You can either disconnect from Wi-Fi to see if it jumps onto LTE or pull down the action center to see the little LTE sign underneath the signal indicators.

I did turn on my phone before going to the store to get a Nano SIM for it. I do wonder if reseting it to factory settings will help with activating LTE.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Went to ATT store and got a free nano sim. Guy scanned it and I popped it in, voila. Restored quickly from my saved 640xl backup. Cellular showing LTE and working fine. First impression, this phone is fast. Plenty to play around with. That's it for now.

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Went to ATT store and got a free nano sim. Guy scanned it and I popped it in, voila. Restored quickly from my saved 640xl backup. Cellular showing LTE and working fine. First impression, this phone is fast. Plenty to play around with. That's it for now.

Great- looks like I am stuck till Friday now. The AT&T guy said no way it could possibly be a sim card and wouldn't replace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo