950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
they cant provision it over their network?

aye, now there's the rub.

There is LOTS of discussion elsewhere (Blackberry Priv) about AT&T refusing to provision a non-AT&T unlocked phone.

Should AT&T refuse your phone request to do this, the only answer is to activate your SIM in an AT&T phone with all the bands and features (this can be at an AT&T store, for example) and then simply move it to your non-AT&T unlocked phone. Voila.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Can some of you guys post your LTE speeds? I'm only gotten up to 4 on four bars which is abysmal here in Phoenix. On the 950 I was just testing from AT&T earlier I was hitting over 20. I even paused the store downloads. I'm going to roam the neighborhood a bit and try different signal strengths.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
The SIM card is not provisioned correctly. Only choice is to go to a AT&T store and have them replace the SIM.

That in itself won't help.

AT&T won't provision a non-AT&T phone. Their system needs to see a fully functional AT&T phone with that SIM card in order to set the parameters of the service for that SIM.

Once that happens, all the features of the 950XL will work when that SIM is inserted.

But since the 950XL is not an AT&T phone, AT&T will refuse to provision it correctly otherwise, even if you ask.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been on the love with at&t for 1 hour and even with a manager. They are telling me that the 950xl is not provisioned for LTE on their network.

I keep telling them that s impossible, it should work just like the 950 and that other people have it using LTE, but getting no where.

I even got a brand new nano sim from at&t!

That's quite possible. AT&T's systems know the difference between 950 and 950XL. AT&T-branded 950 is in their system and will work automatically. 950XL is not an AT&T phone and therefore will not work automatically.

Put your SIM card into a modern AT&T-branded phone and let their systems automatically provision the features available for your SIM. Then take it out and put it into the 950XL and voila--all the functions work.

Dance, AT&T customer, dance!

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
went to at&t, activated, new sim card, and 4G showed up on top. worked fine for me.

But 4G... That's not LTE. I also had to get a new SIM and put it straight into the Lumps 950 XL. I'm gonna try the device reset then... Was on the phone with ART for an hour and they couldn't do anything to fix it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Recommendations for someone who doesn't have another ATT LTE device? I'm pretty sure my little 635 is not nano SIM.

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
That's quite possible. AT&T's systems know the difference between 950 and 950XL. AT&T-branded 950 is in their system and will work automatically. 950XL is not an AT&T phone and therefore will not work automatically.

Put your SIM card into a modern AT&T-branded phone and let their systems automatically provision the features available for your SIM. Then take it out and put it into the 950XL and voila--all the functions work.

Dance, AT&T customer, dance!

If that's the case, guess I'll have to buy a SIM kit tomorrow where I can put the Nano SIM back into my old 820 to see if it'll work with 4G LTE.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
This happens all the time with AT&T. The IMEI on your account needs to be an IMEI of a branded AT&T LTE phone. Just get an IMEI off of a display Note 5 or something and have them add that to your account over the phone or in store.

Instant LTE. I've done this several times. Even had an employee suggest getting an IMEI off of a display unit. It doesn't break anything, just tells their systems to provision your line for LTE. Done.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
After doing the device reset I'm still on 4G so back on they phone with ATT, apparently the device provisioning shows that the device doesn't support visual voicemail also. I'm trying to tell them about the suggestion to use another device IMEI like the 950 but I'm not sure they understand.

She just confirmed this model isn't provisioned for LTE like someone said above too

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Recommendations for someone who doesn't have another ATT LTE device? I'm pretty sure my little 635 is not nano SIM.

Just find one, anywhere. Friend, co-worker, AT&T store, ghetto wireless store...wherever. It just has to go in and turn on and be seen. That's enough for AT&T's systems to turn everything on for that SIM.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So let me just ***** proof this then.

I got a new SIM today as my old phone was a 920. Visual Voicemail doesn't work and neither does LTE. So I need to go back there, have them put the SIM into another phone (like a floor model perhaps) so the SIM then gets the right settings. Then I can put it BACK into my 950XL, with no other changes, the phone will turn on like normal and LTE and Visual Voicemail will just work then?

I feel there needs to be a WC article about this describing the process. If it's that "simple" then that's fine. Though AT&T should just provision the XL but such is life here...

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So let me just ***** proof this then.

I got a new SIM today as my old phone was a 920. Visual Voicemail doesn't work and neither does LTE. So I need to go back there, have them put the SIM into another phone (like a floor model perhaps) so the SIM then gets the right settings. Then I can put it BACK into my 950XL, with no other changes, the phone will turn on like normal and LTE and Visual Voicemail will just work then?

I feel there needs to be a WC article about this describing the process. If it's that "simple" then that's fine. Though AT&T should just provision the XL but such is life here...

This is exactly what I want to know for sure too as I am in the same boat. Coming from Verizon I don't have an AT&T branded phone nor do I know anyone off the top of my head either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss