950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
so, i just need a fresh nano sim and an ATT branded LTE capable phone, correct?
and i dont need to put the sim into the ATT branded phone?
just call / chat with ATT and tell them i need sim activated in "new" phone?
then once they have done their "magic" /s
put nano sim into 950XL and it should have LTE now?

im getting prepared for the 950XL...
ordered a couple of 640s from bestbuy today for a relative, so i can use the IMEI from those... but since they are micro and not nano, just wanted to clarify :)
thanks in advance!

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
so, i just need a fresh nano sim and an ATT branded LTE capable phone, correct?
and i dont need to put the sim into the ATT branded phone?
just call / chat with ATT and tell them i need sim activated in "new" phone?
then once they have done their "magic" /s
put nano sim into 950XL and it should have LTE now?

im getting prepared for the 950XL...
ordered a couple of 640s from bestbuy today for a relative, so i can use the IMEI from those... but since they are micro and not nano, just wanted to clarify :)
thanks in advance!
The SIM size of the phone's IMEI you will use has zero bearing on anything. Just get a nano SIM, give AT&T the IMEI from the 640, and you're off.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Mine says LTE. Came from Lumia 640. Internet sharing is working. Visual voicemail is no where to be found. Going to call AT&T.
AT&T will be absolutely useless when you call them. They don't have a clue what the XL is, they *may* know about their own branded 950, but even that's doubtful.

VVM flat out doesn't work, but good luck with your call. Whatever you do don't give them the IMEI number(s) of your XL. That will break your LTE.

treyman33

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Assuming your SIM worked on your previous phone and it is a nano-SIM all you need to do is call ATT and have them add the IMEI from your new 950/950XL to their database. I did this yesterday. The first person I talked to had no idea what she was doing and kept trying to activate my SIM card. Since this card was working in my 1520 that was not what needed to be done. She needed to add the IMEI. I asked for a supervisor, told her what the situation was, and it worked in 15 seconds. If you are only using 1 SIM card, you will only need to give them the first IMEI number. I gave them both as I may add a second line later on and don't want to wait for 40 minutes with a useless tier 1 customer service rep.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone. It's pretty nice....

nkaufmann5

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Guys, another thing my friend did - Go to AT&T store, get EMEI number off of their 950 display, then go home with a fresh sim and call at&T and activate said sim using the emei number. Works like a champ. Happy thanksgiving =)

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK.. I followed the tips. as my voice mail was not working either. I got the EMEI number off of my 640, did an online chat with att and told them I have a new SIM I got form the Microsoft store for my 650, and agave the SIM ide for my 950XL. I did not move anything between phones. She did her magic, I powered up my 950XL, and I have 4G LTE, and voice mail works.I stil have to get visual voice mail working, but at least have VM now, and LTE.

RobertD1974

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I logged on to AT&T web site. I chatted with someone. He said 950 XL is not provisioned for LTE. He said give him a few minutes. He did something and then had me do a few things to the phone and now it works.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Odd, i went and got my phone yesterday, Then walked over to the AT&T store and had them give me a nano SIM. She took my info off the phone, plugged in the SIM and it just worked. With LTE. No VVM though...

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know for sure the sim from ATT for a 640xl is the same size as what would go into a 950xl? May seem like a silly question to some but, again, I've never purchased a phone outside of an ATT store. Thanks for any and all advice. If I can just swap the sim and then wipe the old phone and know that it isn't linked to my account anymore in any way I'll then sell it.
My 640 is a micro, and I think the 950 is a nano. I wish they would just stick to one.

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, don't flame me for not reading the previous pages... But I think I may have identified a bug on Windows 10, I noticed this when using the insider fast track on my 1020 and changing SIMs, as well as I saw another user experience the same symptoms on a new 950 XL (he dismissed my advice). I'm in Canada on Rogers, and the other user was on a Canadian provider.

From my experience, and what I heard from another user, for some reason Windows 10 did not get the auto data settings off the SIM, as in the phone didn't get the default APN info from the SIM card. Calls worked, texts worked, but MMS and data was dead. In my case with the 1020, I had to manually enter the APN after getting a new SIM card (it was able to grab the info from the first but cleared it after changing SIMs). The other user experiencing similar issues dismissed my advice on trying to do a hard reset (he said he shouldn't have to on a new device).

First check to see if there's a default APN that you cannot edit, if there's not I think it's a bug. Try doing a hard reset and let us know if it works. The SIM I was having issues with in the 1020, I put in my new 950 XL and it grabbed the info the 1020 could not (that's what makes me think it's a random bug and a hard reset might solve it).

I'm also wondering if a device backup may cause this. Going to the 950 XL I didn't restore a backup, just went fresh.

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Like most of the folks here I too had issues with LTE out of the box but got things resolved without the assistance of ATT.

Details below:
I had a Nokia Lumia 920 with an unlimited data place since the old iPhone 3G days - My SIM was replaced a few years ago for a new MicroSIM format. My 9th and 10th numbers on my SIM are 25. I eventually cut this down - more on this later.

1. I unboxed my brand new phone and immediately turned it on. No SIM inserted.
2. I went through the initial setup of the phone while connecting it to Wifi. Again, with no SIM inserted!
3. I chose the option to restore my settings from a phone backup.
4. I allowed all the apps to download and settings to update, etc etc. The phone was "functional" at this point so... I shutdown.
5. I cut my MicroSIM down to a NanoSIM and inserted it into SIM 1.
6. Turned the phone on.
7. I turned off wifi
8. Panic! z0mg! No LTE, whyyyyyy?!?!?!one!. I see E for edge... and I have reception... but no data at all! I immediately begin to troubleshoot why my data connection woes.
9. Come to find out I couldn't make calls or receive calls; and texts were extremely slow to send/receive.
10. Checked my APN settings against my old Lumia 920 and they were identical. Proceeded to try other APN settings from this very thread. All failed (multiple reboots after each change).
11. At this point I was worried I messed up my MicroSIM -> NanoSIM cut ... and I didn't have another phone to test my NanoSIM sized MicroSIM! So I thought I goofed really, really bad. Then... I did what any logical person would do: I started over with the factory reset and the SIM inserted.
12. Once the reset was complete I proceeded to perform the new setup again and this time I skipped the WiFi connection.
13. After the setup finished I noticed that I had LTE! I checked my APN settings from there and found that they looked exactly the same prior to the hard reset.. which is exactly how my Lumia 920 was configured!
14. Success. LTE on ATT! Happy Dance. z0mg Windows Hello is neat but quite gimmicky but so fun to just unlock a phone by looking at it.

TL;DR:
Do a factory reset with and activated SIM already inserted and run through the new phone setup!

Not exactly in the same boat as you, but your solution worked for me!

I used a nano-sim from my Lumia 1520 ATT in my 950XL. I didn't have the sim in the phone when I first set up everything, and later when I did insert the it into the phone, I couldn't get LTE no matter what I tried.

Then I read your solution and did a factory reset with my sim already in the phone and VOILA! LTE now shows up during the setup.

Thank you!

EDIT: Unfortunately, after the setup, LTE has reverted to 4G...

Last edited:

stnley

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
1) Write down you sim card #
2) Write down an IMEI number from any ATT LTE phone (Not the 950xl)
3) chat with ATT online and say you got a new phone and data isn't working
4) ATT will ask for sim and Imei number. They will do their thing

=====Does the SIM need to be installed in the 950XL before the ATT chat?

5) They will ask you to turn your phone on after they are done.
6) BAM...LTE. make sure your wifi is off to check.

=====Does regular voicemail work (not visual voicemail)? does internet sharing work?

JieXY

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Update to my previous tests.

I have two nano-sims in my 950XL, one from my 1520 with LTE enabled on AT&T, the other from China Mobile (CMCC) with only 2G enabled. I have tried performing initial setup on 950XL, with AT&T only, with both, or with nothing. However, the LTE on AT&T connection only briefly shows up at the beginning the the setup and quickly degrades to 4G after the setup is done. In addition, the random reboots are killing me...

Last edited:

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes changing the IMEI works. I just called and gave them the IMEI from my old lumia 920 and then LTE worked. No visual voicemail though, which sucks. I'm installing iseevm now and going to try that.

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just off the phone with AT&T and, I quote, "because that device (950xl) is not able to properly connect with the AT&T LTE network we (AT&T) cannot provide LTE service to you." This is obviously not correct, but the agent did not have access to "a code" to enable LTE--he had one code and it was already entered into the system for the device. End of story. Nothing he can do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb