950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Works for me, but I used the APN type: IPv4v6 (note the lower case!). I was honest with them and they helped me. The advise I got was the same as oldgreygeek post with the addition of the APN info. Try it.

Could u post a screen shot of what the apn settings like...

thanks

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The APN, I posted does work. Ipv4v6 should already be in the box so do not change it. Yes, you want to use the new vpn, although I I have never seen that message? Make sure you select the APN and make it active,

It won't work by itself. The problem most people are having is that LTE is turned off on their accounts because they gave 950XL's IMEI. Since this phone is recognized by ATT as 3G only, LTE capability ON THE ACCOUNT is switched off. That's why people need to call ATT first and give them some ATT branded IMEI (like from a previous phone). That way account is being fixed and SIM card should be provisioned automatically. If it doesn't then and only then your fix will help. However it's rare that the account has LTE enabled and SIM doesn't get provisioned...
Frankly speaking I'm surprised that this thread is still active as a solution to this issue has been found on Thursday and after that all the post basically repeat the whole process from the scratch. Daniel even posted an article on WindowsCentral inspired by this very thread and described the solution.

asteng88

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the dual sim unlocked XL. Took the sim out of my iPhone 6 plus and turned on the XL. I don't have LTE coverage at home but have it all day at work. The only issue I have is no visual voicemail but LTE was there from the get go.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I got LTE on my 950 XL dual sim from the Microsoft store since I activated the sim card with the imei that came with the 950 xl. No VVM though.

dgantz

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
It won't work by itself. The problem most people are having is that LTE is turned off on their accounts because they gave 950XL's IMEI. Since this phone is recognized by ATT as 3G only, LTE capability ON THE ACCOUNT is switched off. That's why people need to call ATT first and give them some ATT branded IMEI (like from a previous phone). That way account is being fixed and SIM card should be provisioned automatically. If it doesn't then and only then your fix will help. However it's rare that the account has LTE enabled and SIM doesn't get provisioned...
Frankly speaking I'm surprised that this thread is still active as a solution to this issue has been found on Thursday and after that all the post basically repeat the whole process from the scratch. Daniel even posted an article on WindowsCentral inspired by this very thread and described the solution.

It's likely still open because the "solution" is actually a workaround. I, and someone else here, was told by advanced support that using the IMEI from a different device would only enable LTE for a limited amount of time, and that the network would eventually pick up the correct IMEI, knocking the device back to 4G. Someone else was told by advanced support that the same IMEI switch would be permanent. Someone else was told that a support ticket was entered for them to officially add their IMEI to the supported devices list and that it would take two weeks to take effect. I just want one of those three possibilities to be confirmed by AT&T and or Microsoft.

SyntaxUnknown

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I went through the whole process of using a different IMEI (from my wife's L1520) and got LTE working. Unfortunately, a few days later it got bumped back down to 4G.

My guess is that something sync'd with the back end and the real IMEI from my 950XL got updated on the account. I guess the only real solution is for AT&T to update the IMEI on their end for the 950XL which will hopefully be soon.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the best option so far is waiting for two weeks to see if this LTE issue is resolved?
Since providing other IMEI will only temporarily get LTE back.

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think you nailed it. AT&T/MS need to solve this issue before I'm willing to jump on the 950XL wagon. Makes you wonder if there are any adults in the room.

Seems like the best option so far is waiting for two weeks to see if this LTE issue is resolved?
Since providing other IMEI will only temporarily get LTE back.

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
If borrowing "some ATT branded IMEI" is a solution that solution is akin to borrowing someone else's car and assuming the car is now yours on a permanent basis. Unless I'm missing something no permanent solution to this problem has not been found. This is an AT&T/MS problem and they need to come up with a permanent solution not some jury-rig workaround.

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Had LTE day one, no issues. Once again if you want to avoid LTE issue because using another imei from another phone makes you feel naughty, just go cricket wireless (if available) no imei is needed for anything.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Go to network and wireless in settings then cellular and sim then sim settings then click update settings. You might need to reboot the phone after. Try that and see if lte shows up. Not sure about the 640 xl but my 640 had a different sim size then my att 950.

This worked for me. I clicked the update settings and then restarted my 940XL

Ken1ceo

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I followed the suggestions here in the forum; put the SIM in another phone and activated it & added a new APN. Profile: ATT, APN: pta, User Name: blank, Password: blank, Type of sign-in info: none, IP Type: IPv4, Use this APN for LTE: Checked, Proxy Server: blank, Proxy port: blank, Apply this profile: checked, [Save]. After about 10 minutes of syncing and a hard reboot (on & down vol) LTE started working.

AWD4416

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I tried everything posted and nothing work. My problem was that I got a new SIM card as my last phone was an iPhone 4s, this was a temp phone while I jumped ships from Sprint. Anyway the first attempt with tech support using the 950XL's IMEI did not work. Actually it made things worst as my Voicemail stopped working. I borrowed a friend's 1520 and tried support again. They did their thing and I waited till the 1520 showed LTE and my VM started working. Now back on my 950XL I have working VM (not sure about the visual one) and LTE.

One thing I wanted to point out, not sure if I read it in this thread. The 1520 was running Win10 and when I placed a call, it dropped to 4G just like the 950XL does.

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Interesting update... the customer service rep that I spoke to on the LTE provisioning issue called me back today and left me a VM stating that AT&T will officially recognize the 950XL IMEI's starting on Dec 10th and that LTE would be fully functional at that time without having to spoof the system with a different IMEI.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Interesting update... the customer service rep that I spoke to on the LTE provisioning issue called me back today and left me a VM stating that AT&T will officially recognize the 950XL IMEI's starting on Dec 10th and that LTE would be fully functional at that time without having to spoof the system with a different IMEI.
A week is better than the 3-6 months the chat rep I interacted with today suggested. I can wait a week.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Good news.
I never know before that AT&T has such IMEI database to block out other phones to use LTE. As someone mentioned, cricket did not block any phone although they are using AT&T's network.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if you could use the 950xl on Verizon LTE with an unlocked phone but LTE band for Verizon is 13 (which the 950s don't have) and 12 for AT&T or something like that. So, what is ATT trying to block out. T-Mobile?

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if you could use the 950xl on Verizon LTE with an unlocked phone but LTE band for Verizon is 13 (which the 950s don't have) and 12 for AT&T or something like that. So, what is ATT trying to block out. T-Mobile?

I remember it's Verizon who block out 950/950xl.
Actually unlocked AT&T is working well with T-mobile.

Fenoy

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Appears to be very good news. I'll call my AT&T guy on the 11th and see if he has been updated. Thanks for the information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss