950 XL no LTE on AT&T?

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Now we just need to hope he wasn't full of crap. Hehe.
I have to give credit for the great follow-up from this rep though. When I spoke to him originally, he said that he would follow up with me after getting feedback from his team. I didn't think it would actually happen to be honest.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting update... the customer service rep that I spoke to on the LTE provisioning issue called me back today and left me a VM stating that AT&T will officially recognize the 950XL IMEI's starting on Dec 10th and that LTE would be fully functional at that time without having to spoof the system with a different IMEI.

I've been following this thread waiting for something like this. If its true, I'll be off to my local Microsoft store to get my 950XL. As an added bonus I'll also be flipping Verizon the bird as a result.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have had LTE since the day I bought and activated my 950 XL on Thanksgiving Day. MS store gave me a brand new SIM card, got online with ATT and they activated for me with the IMEI from my new phone.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
so - this is to those people who substituted their imei from their preivous ATT LTE phone to get their 950XL working with LTE...

how long has it been since you did the substitution and had LTE working?
Is it still working now?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
so - this is to those people who substituted their imei from their preivous ATT LTE phone to get their 950XL working with LTE...

how long has it been since you did the substitution and had LTE working?
Is it still working now?

It has now been 12 days of LTE. Using a 640 Go Phone IMEI

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I never know before that AT&T has such IMEI database to block out other phones to use LTE. As someone mentioned, cricket did not block any phone although they are using AT&T's network.
It's not so much that they block LTE on certain IMEI's, but their backend automatically removes LTE provisioning when it doesn't recognize that your phone is LTE capable. I temporarily switched to an HSPA+ phone last year when my Lumia 920 was broken. By the time I got a replacement 920, I had to contact AT&T to re-provision my account for LTE because that setting was automatically removed in just a few days.

From this thread discussion, it sounds like currently, the 950 XL IMEI's aren't recognized in AT&T's database as having LTE capability. An AT&T rep can manually add LTE provisioning, but there is a chance that their system could automatically remove that provisioning when the IMEI is detected without any indication that the phone is LTE capable.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
ATT chat confirmed it's a known issue yesterday. They mentioned Dec 10th as a fix, but only after I had suggested it from the forums, so I have little faith. They also said VVM comes with that LTE fix...Side bets???

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
ATT chat confirmed it's a known issue yesterday. They mentioned Dec 10th as a fix, but only after I had suggested it from the forums, so I have little faith. They also said VVM comes with that LTE fix...Side bets???

bets? depends on whether you mentioned the date to them first...
from my experience with ATT (14 yrs as a customer and just waiting to jump ship), their chat reps are as useful as SOME of the microsoft reps ... so take that as you want...
on the other hand, every chat i have had with TMO has been a positive one with knowledgeable reps, going the extra distance.
example... chatted with an ATT rep last friday, got a nano sim card on order... tried to get status with the order number yesterday, couldnt get it automatically with their system, just to be told later from another chat rep that the order number didnt exist... and asked me if i got an email confirming the order - nope... i didnt.... then she told me she wasnt sure how the original rep had placed the order for the sim card as i needed an imei for the card!
so ATT reps are not the sharpest by any means.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
On with Chat now:
I was told be two previous chat people that I was provisioned for LTE, so if you don't have LTE, I would bet it isn't really provisioned for it on their side.

I am not sure what they were looking at, you definitely don't have the LTE network provisioned. It is the mobile share smart phone SOC. I have troubleshooted issues under this same circumstance many times. What is happening is with Microsoft model that you have for some reason the system has a hard time recognizing. What i am going to try is intentionally doing an IMEI mismatch so the system recognizes your old phones LTE network. Hopefully that will work. I have fixed it before like that =-)

She took my old IME from my 1520 and put it into the system.

I have LTE now, pretty cool.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not so much that they block LTE on certain IMEI's, but their backend automatically removes LTE provisioning when it doesn't recognize that your phone is LTE capable. I temporarily switched to an HSPA+ phone last year when my Lumia 920 was broken. By the time I got a replacement 920, I had to contact AT&T to re-provision my account for LTE because that setting was automatically removed in just a few days.

From this thread discussion, it sounds like currently, the 950 XL IMEI's aren't recognized in AT&T's database as having LTE capability. An AT&T rep can manually add LTE provisioning, but there is a chance that their system could automatically remove that provisioning when the IMEI is detected without any indication that the phone is LTE capable.

On with Chat now:
I was told be two previous chat people that I was provisioned for LTE, so if you don't have LTE, I would bet it isn't really provisioned for it on their side.

I am not sure what they were looking at, you definitely don't have the LTE network provisioned. It is the mobile share smart phone SOC. I have troubleshooted issues under this same circumstance many times. What is happening is with Microsoft model that you have for some reason the system has a hard time recognizing. What i am going to try is intentionally doing an IMEI mismatch so the system recognizes your old phones LTE network. Hopefully that will work. I have fixed it before like that =-)

She took my old IME from my 1520 and put it into the system.

I have LTE now, pretty cool.

I had this problem with AT&T a long while back with my Lumia 635 right after I got it. (Long before I upgraded to the 640.) 5 calls to customer service to get it provisioned and it still didn't do LTE. I took it into the store, they said it was a known problem. They got it set up for LTE in about 2 minutes time. You know what they did? They used an IMEI number from an iPhone to trick the system.

Yeah, and IMEI from any LTE recognized device on their system will do it for you. Smart call on giving them the 1520 number.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Had LTE since day one and still have it. No issues.

Same here. Had LTE since day one with my unlocked 950XL on AT&T or at least that is what it's showing. But I have to ask, is AT&T LTE really this slow? I switched from Verizon for the 950XL. Verizon is much much faster in side by side network speed tests using my Verizon Icon vs 950XL on AT&T. So either AT&T is really slow here in Scottsdale or it's a 950XL problem or I'm not really getting AT&T LTE even though it is showing I am.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
So either AT&T is really slow here in Scottsdale or it's a 950XL problem or I'm not really getting AT&T LTE even though it is showing I am.
In my experience, it depends on the location, though I'm not sure why the AT&T network is not more consistent. Near my work, I usually average about 4 Mbps on LTE. Inside the building, I just tested and got 0.25 Mbps still showing LTE, but my connection often drops to 3G inside here. Near my home, on the other hand, I've gotten over 40 Mbps and probably average around 25. I don't know if it is the network towers or other environmental factors that cause such slow speeds near my work.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, it depends on the location, though I'm not sure why the AT&T network is not more consistent. Near my work, I usually average about 4 Mbps on LTE. Inside the building, I just tested and got 0.25 Mbps still showing LTE, but my connection often drops to 3G inside here. Near my home, on the other hand, I've gotten over 40 Mbps and probably average around 25. I don't know if it is the network towers or other environmental factors that cause such slow speeds near my work.

The number of people actively using the tower that you are currently connected to and how much those people are uploading/downloading through that tower will have an impact on the bandwidth of that tower. If the tower is so heavily in use to be overloaded, you will have very slow speeds as there is only so much the tower can handle. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and there are very few people on the tower out here. I get amazing LTE speeds at home which are usually higher than 25Mbps. (AT&T) When I travel into town where there are more users, I'm lucky to get 4 to 7Mbps, and often only get 1 or 2.

Signal obstruction between you and the tower can also have a serious impact, which is why it slows down when you go inside a building, especially buildings with metal frames.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)