03-27-2016 08:48 AM
49 12
tools
    Looks like my 950XL doesn't work with the Nokia Wireless Stand Charger. That really sucks. I love my stand charger. I can't get it to pick up the wireless charger at all no matter how I position it.
    11-25-2015 02:33 PM
    It mostly works when I place mine in landscape mode. It's not a 100% stable connection, but it's better than nothing until I can get to my USB-C cable waiting at home.
    rxc13 likes this.
    11-25-2015 03:14 PM
    Same here. It works in landscape mode if you move the phone upwards, but if you just stand the phone sideways on the plate it the light just flashes as it can't maintain a connection. There must be a mismatch in the charge coils in the stand and the backplate. I have no idea whether anything can be rigged to get around it or to compensate for it either..... :-(
    11-25-2015 03:50 PM
    Well, slightly relieved. I was thinking it was my phone that was broken. Guess I will be throwing this away. Or gifting it to my parents for Xmas.
    11-25-2015 06:27 PM
    I tried it on my other flat chargers and it works great.
    11-25-2015 07:18 PM
    Dangit. I have three of these. It's my nightstand clock! How to get it to stand up now.....
    11-25-2015 07:33 PM
    dt900?
    11-25-2015 08:30 PM
    No, it is the charging stand as stated above (DT910).

Nokia Wireless Charging Stand - Microsoft - USA
    JoeyZhou likes this.
    11-25-2015 08:48 PM
    I have 2 of these and one is used as a night stand... Severely bummed out
    11-26-2015 12:38 AM
    Doh, just bought a 910 on ebay in preparation. Luckily it was only 8 used.
    11-26-2015 05:13 AM
    This is a real showstopper, as I have 3 of them and definitely want to keep them.
    FXi2 and aximtreo like this.
    11-26-2015 06:09 AM
    Same problem here... I had a 1520 with the same problem. Solution: Have someone who is good with electronics move the Qi pad down. Especially with the Continuum dock, I was hoping this would not happen. Still, super stoked about the phone overall.
    FXi2 likes this.
    11-26-2015 08:09 AM
    Strange, always worked perfectly with my 1520. Should there be hope?
    11-26-2015 08:11 AM
    It almost charges in landscape, if I stick a thin/flat USB key under it as a spacer it does charge. So, I'll make a flat wood shim and stick it in place.
    rxc13 likes this.
    11-26-2015 08:15 AM
    This is no option for a 700 EUR phone. If it fails, I am afraid I will return it.
    11-26-2015 08:55 AM
    So, you are upset enough that an accessory designed 3 years ago for a different phone doesn't work with your new phone that you will return it? Why did you bother?
    zei20t and rxc13 like this.
    11-26-2015 09:08 AM
    It works, no change in technology people... It is all about placement... It is a 3 year old stand designed with the phones of the past in mind.

The qi contact are not lined up, that's all... Use a shim or something... I would make a new stand using the old flat chargers myself... Or just lay it flat... I have never ever needed my phone docked up... For the clock? I would use a prop... Anything else other than a movie, I needed to pick the phone up anyhow... Lastly, for applications I needed it docked like a movie, it was better with the cord as the battery was charger slower than the power the being used.

I have a few wireless chargers, and they are great. Lay the phone on it ans go away... No need to connect a wire.. Just lay flat and you are dune...

Docks have and will always be temporary... Talk to the apply guys about have to change docks ever couple years... Docks for Android ans windows phones are just about universal, still the phones are variables... Not the dock on perfect fit...

If this is your deal breaker on the phone that you paid 700 for, some cheap *** old dock not working, you must be crazy... Go spend the bucks on one that is newer and works foe this phone... Why cheap out in the end after spending so much... And it is minor.
    rxc13 likes this.
    11-26-2015 09:22 AM
    Literally just tried this with my work charging stand and devastated.. One more thing now to add to the list for Black Friday shopping.
    rxc13 and david90531 like this.
    11-26-2015 09:43 AM
    It works, no change in technology people... It is all about placement... It is a 3 year old stand designed with the phones of the past in mind.

The qi contact are not lined up, that's all... Use a shim or something... I would make a new stand using the old flat chargers myself... Or just lay it flat... I have never ever needed my phone docked up... For the clock? I would use a prop... Anything else other than a movie, I needed to pick the phone up anyhow... Lastly, for applications I needed it docked like a movie, it was better with the cord as the battery was charger slower than the power the being used.

I have a few wireless chargers, and they are great. Lay the phone on it ans go away... No need to connect a wire.. Just lay flat and you are dune...

Docks have and will always be temporary... Talk to the apply guys about have to change docks ever couple years... Docks for Android ans windows phones are just about universal, still the phones are variables... Not the dock on perfect fit...

If this is your deal breaker on the phone that you paid 700 for, some cheap *** old dock not working, you must be crazy... Go spend the bucks on one that is newer and works foe this phone... Why cheap out in the end after spending so much... And it is minor.
    We are not talking about docks, we are talking about Qi, which actually is a standard for wirelessly charging mobile devices. The Lumia 950 XL is said to be the successor to the Lumia 1520, both show Qi wireless charging capabilities when comparing them on the vendor site. I own 3 (repeat: 3, not one) "cheap" Qi wireless charging stands of the same vendor, 70 EUR each, designed for the predecessor and suggesting that you will not need any new solution for the next years, which will not work just because the coil in the new back cover is just not lined up. No hint on this anywhere so far, even no reason, and you call me crazy?
    greynightshirt and rdubmu like this.
    11-26-2015 01:18 PM
    Furthermore, what are the Glance notifications for if I cannot see them?
    11-26-2015 01:41 PM
    Damn. This is disappointing as I use the 910 as a night-stand as well. Makes it easy to see the time and deal with the morning alarm. Might have to look into getting a different wireless charge stand-up dock if Microsoft isn't planning on developing a new one... If one exists!
    11-26-2015 03:33 PM
    I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pUvbUpU3312558. I will let you know how it works. It should be here Saturday. It has 3 coils so hopefully one of them will be in the correct spot.
    Unauthorized likes this.
    11-26-2015 04:10 PM
    We are not talking about docks, we are talking about Qi, which actually is a standard for wirelessly charging mobile devices. The Lumia 950 XL is said to be the successor to the Lumia 1520, both show Qi wireless charging capabilities when comparing them on the vendor site. I own 3 (repeat: 3, not one) "cheap" Qi wireless charging stands of the same vendor, 70 EUR each, designed for the predecessor and suggesting that you will not need any new solution for the next years, which will not work just because the coil in the new back cover is just not lined up. No hint on this anywhere so far, even no reason, and you call me crazy?
    Qi works... So you are talking about the docks... The qi standard did not change, lol. Qi in the 950/xl is the same as any other device (new or old)...

No where have I heard that the qi charging coils should be in a certain position, although one would assume it should be in center or lower center of the device..

Those older docks were made for devices previous to this one... I like foe things to be backwards compatible, and that is what the qi standard is... Hardware design ia a different story... Where did you see anywhere on either package thy they were compatible with one another?

I have many universal things that for one reason or another did not work with one of my new devices... So it was time to upgrade, modify, or if it was serious enough... Do what you all suggest ans return the phone... If it is that serious...

Who is at fault...
    1) the phone
    2) the dock
    3) you
    4) it is what it is... No one, that's life...
    rxc13 and BonzeUK like this.
    11-26-2015 08:53 PM
    5) the so called premium vendor who just does not care

Again, that is just stupid as there does not seem to be a reason for placing the coil differently from all their previous products. Maybe there is one, like the new MIMO technology. But I'd simply like to know such things to make my decision. At least now it is even harder time to convince myself that I really want this phone.
    11-26-2015 09:10 PM
    I stuck this shim on my stand charger, 950XL in landscape now charges perfectly

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...thint=album%2c
    Last edited by mdbuilder; 11-27-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    rxc13 and Corwin_Amber1 like this.
    11-27-2015 02:54 PM
49 12