12-18-2015 08:43 AM
57 123
tools
    I was on my way home tonight in a dark car driving at night with driving glasses on and it read my eyes without a hitch. Stop being so dramatic.
    Ah, we've found the engineer.
    greynightshirt likes this.
    11-27-2015 06:55 AM
    Have you guys tried looking at the spot where the Hello-camera actually is (up top) ? Try that and just move it closer to your face until it unlocks. Should work no matter if you are wearing glasses, contacts or... Something else.
    I think you are missing that you can't use Hello to unlock your phone UNTIL YOU PROGRAM IT. Its the programming you can't do if you can't read the instructions (which are different for every programming attempt) on the screen without your glasses. The programming starts with mandatory training without glasses.

Making more sense now?
    11-27-2015 06:58 AM
    From the image it shows on the screen I'm guessing its mostly from reflections off the glasses but I am just guessing.
    Have you tried anti-reflectant glasses?
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-27-2015 07:52 AM
    Windows hello is kinda slow for me, and I've done the setup a bunch of times already. It stayed of really fast, now there's a noticeable delay
    11-27-2015 08:13 AM
    Would love to but Eyemasters won't rent me a pair or let me return a pair I bought if they don't work with Hello.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-27-2015 08:24 AM
    Look at the red light when it scans. Do optimization from as many angles as you can. Thing unlocks quickly for me (2 sec typically). But even at odd angles if I keep eyes open and look at red light. Sometimes it misses but it's beta. Never misses from up close. It's a wide angle lens so has some room to play with. I just did it from quite far while laying down with head up on pillow. Just lens was pointed towards me. But keep running optimize in diff lighting and angles.
    11-27-2015 08:32 AM
    Look at the red light when it scans. Do optimization from as many angles as you can. Thing unlocks quickly for me (2 sec typically). But even at odd angles if I keep eyes open and look at red light. Sometimes it misses but it's beta. Never misses from up close. It's a wide angle lens so has some room to play with. I just did it from quite far while laying down with head up on pillow. Just lens was pointed towards me. But keep running optimize in diff lighting and angles.
    Me as well...its all about the angle when setting up....I do not have to put it very close to my face either.......just look at the screen and viola.....I do not wear glasses so I cannot comment there!
    11-27-2015 10:14 AM
    For eyeglass wearers, it makes a big difference if the lenses on your glasses are spotless, or if they need cleaning. I had it working well yesterday, then noticed it had dropped off and wondered why. Noticed my glasses were a bit smudged, gave them a thorough cleaning, and it is back to working really well.
    11-27-2015 10:43 AM
    I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.
    Here's something cool. During the scan you can actually keep your glasses on, position your head and then take them off. It just pauses the scan and keeps trying. And then you have to open your eyes wide. Lots of people with eye sight issues tend to squint which covers the iris and the scanning of the pits. And then there's always just trying with glasses on and seeing if it works even if it does tell you to take them off. I saw people doing it with dark tinted shades on after they already did the scan recognition. That's neat.
    11-27-2015 10:46 AM
    The only real trouble I've experienced with Windows Hello on the 950xl is in full daylight--was walking in the park, yesterday. It would not work--not once. So, I tried "improve recognition" under the same conditions and it couldn't detect my face--not once. Else, it works fairly flawlessly for me.
    11-27-2015 10:58 AM
    I think I restarted my phone after changing the text size, and Windows Hello lost the IRIS training settings, so I had to set it up again from scratch.
    11-27-2015 12:30 PM
    *sigh* fingerprint sensors *just work* without all this bull****. Except when you have gloves on due to weather which is a minor edge case.
    11-27-2015 01:07 PM
    I trained it several times and it's pretty reliable even with glasses on
    11-27-2015 01:38 PM
    I love your post! I took my glass off and had to call my wife to read the screen. It will probably recognize her instead of me! Oh well, it does work sometimes. It has to be so close that they should have used nose recognition.
    11-27-2015 03:07 PM
    I'm thinking once Double-Tap comes, it'll help.
    One of the Great Windows Mobile Mysteries of 2015: Why isn't "double tap to wake" there to begin with??
    11-27-2015 07:49 PM
    Narrator quick launch (search for narrator in settings) worked for me in the training screen. You could alternatively turn it on temporarily, train Hello and improve recognition a couple of times then turn narrator off.

My initial reaction was: Gimmick! But I thought I'd give it a chance and try it under different circumstances. It now sometimes unlocks before I even remember to bring the phone up towards my face, holding it at a normal grip on front of me. I've had 90% success I'd estimate with glasses, sunglasses and without under different lightning conditions and sitting, standing and walking. It's impressive. I agree that fingerprint would have been less hassle all around.

I hope apps like Lastpass implement it like it does with the fingerprint on the Windows 10 pc version. Ditto for if we ever get payment functionality.
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    11-27-2015 08:55 PM
    I would like to note.

I had to reset my phone and redid the initial set up for Windows Hello. It tells you to take your glasses off... You do NOT have to take it off. I kept mine on this time and it went through the first one just fine.
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-28-2015 12:35 AM
    People shouldn't have to get special glasses to use their phone.
    Laura Knotek and NBrookus like this.
    11-28-2015 12:43 AM
    Hilarious post. But I've had good experience with Windows Hello so far, and it's good because they're still in Beta. I've use the "improve recognition" feature a few times to take iris shots with and without glasses, different angles, opening my eyes more (you know, I'm Asian after all), etc. And gladly report it does work better after those were put into the data.
    11-28-2015 01:11 AM
    Training it with weird angles really does speed up normal recognition. The only time I seem to have issues with it is right after I wake up and when I barely open my eyes in the first place.
    11-28-2015 01:30 AM
    My experience has been horrible. I don't wear glasses or contacts but it rarely works. Have tried multiple alternative learning scans in various conditions but it does not help. About to give up on it.
    11-28-2015 02:40 AM
    Works quickly for me but the fact that you have to hold it so close to you face dissuades me from using it. I look enough like angoof to begin with.
    11-28-2015 02:46 AM
    If you have to use a weird angle or take off your glasses to get it to work, it's not a well designed feature. Why can't Microsoft ever deliver magical stuff?
    11-28-2015 02:33 PM
    You could just use a pin to unlock your phone
    11-28-2015 02:35 PM
    hey guys, the Iris scanner uses the near Infra red LED (the red one) to light up your iris' for the camera to image, so when trying to unlock, look at the camera not the LED.

I did not look at the data sheet, just my take on what I think is happening - only presuming that the camera is scanning your iris, as trying to image your retinas through your pupil seems like you would need a lot of light and imaging precision (see retinal imaging machines at the optometrists), plus the angle off-set from a reasonable scanning distance, ~6", would be quite difficult to achieve (Law of Reflection) through your pupils to image both your retinas...

I wear glasses and the scanner works very well for me and I rarely clean my glasses (see focal distance and dirt on lens for more details, anything not at focal distance will be blurry or not visible anyways). The red LED and the Camera must both be able to see your iris, but since the infrared LED is the light source, that's also why it works in the dark too.

As long as your glasses and contacts do not block the LED wavelength (being polarized to that wavelength) it will work. Since we see the red glow of the LED, I'm going to guess that its still within our visible light spectrum or near the edge, so most glasses and contacts should work.

I hope this helps.

OP sorry to hijack your thread, I actually experienced the same thing, I had to put my glasses back on to read the damned instructions... lol
    Last edited by navierstokez; 11-28-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: more detail...
    Nick Metro likes this.
    11-28-2015 03:21 PM
57 123