MS Hello - you have to be kidding.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Narrator quick launch (search for narrator in settings) worked for me in the training screen. You could alternatively turn it on temporarily, train Hello and improve recognition a couple of times then turn narrator off.

My initial reaction was: Gimmick! But I thought I'd give it a chance and try it under different circumstances. It now sometimes unlocks before I even remember to bring the phone up towards my face, holding it at a normal grip on front of me. I've had 90% success I'd estimate with glasses, sunglasses and without under different lightning conditions and sitting, standing and walking. It's impressive. I agree that fingerprint would have been less hassle all around.

I hope apps like Lastpass implement it like it does with the fingerprint on the Windows 10 pc version. Ditto for if we ever get payment functionality.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I would like to note.

I had to reset my phone and redid the initial set up for Windows Hello. It tells you to take your glasses off... You do NOT have to take it off. I kept mine on this time and it went through the first one just fine.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Hilarious post. But I've had good experience with Windows Hello so far, and it's good because they're still in Beta. I've use the "improve recognition" feature a few times to take iris shots with and without glasses, different angles, opening my eyes more (you know, I'm Asian after all), etc. And gladly report it does work better after those were put into the data.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Training it with weird angles really does speed up normal recognition. The only time I seem to have issues with it is right after I wake up and when I barely open my eyes in the first place.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My experience has been horrible. I don't wear glasses or contacts but it rarely works. Have tried multiple alternative learning scans in various conditions but it does not help. About to give up on it.

KjBleau

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Works quickly for me but the fact that you have to hold it so close to you face dissuades me from using it. I look enough like angoof to begin with.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
If you have to use a weird angle or take off your glasses to get it to work, it's not a well designed feature. Why can't Microsoft ever deliver magical stuff?

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, the Iris scanner uses the near Infra red LED (the red one) to light up your iris' for the camera to image, so when trying to unlock, look at the camera not the LED.

I did not look at the data sheet, just my take on what I think is happening - only presuming that the camera is scanning your iris, as trying to image your retinas through your pupil seems like you would need a lot of light and imaging precision (see retinal imaging machines at the optometrists), plus the angle off-set from a reasonable scanning distance, ~6", would be quite difficult to achieve (Law of Reflection) through your pupils to image both your retinas...

I wear glasses and the scanner works very well for me and I rarely clean my glasses (see focal distance and dirt on lens for more details, anything not at focal distance will be blurry or not visible anyways). The red LED and the Camera must both be able to see your iris, but since the infrared LED is the light source, that's also why it works in the dark too.

As long as your glasses and contacts do not block the LED wavelength (being polarized to that wavelength) it will work. Since we see the red glow of the LED, I'm going to guess that its still within our visible light spectrum or near the edge, so most glasses and contacts should work.

I hope this helps.

OP sorry to hijack your thread, I actually experienced the same thing, I had to put my glasses back on to read the damned instructions... lol

Last edited:

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you navierstokez, was always looking at the red light, and never at the camera. That really makes a big difference.

If you had to know to look at the red light, MS failed in design. The reason Apple's TouchID is so great is that you press down in any orientation because it works in 360 degrees. It doesn't require special knowledge of usage.

James Maliki

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Honestly all I do in that that set up and improve recognition stage is just make sure that both my eyes are visible in the camera window and looking straight at the phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Narrator quick launch (search for narrator in settings) worked for me in the training screen. You could alternatively turn it on temporarily, train Hello and improve recognition a couple of times then turn narrator off.
Narrator worked for the training BUT it still never learned to recognize me with glasses even after 5 "Improve Recognition" attempts with glasses on, each of which took a VERY long time. But afterwards Hello only works one out 10 times at best with glasses on. The phone itself is causing glare. I went into a dark room for an "Improve Recognition" session and there was massive glare showing with the only light source the phone itself. Interestingly, the first "Improve Recognition" attempt failed until I figured out it was incorrectly telling me to move closer. It worked (eventually) when I did the opposite and moved farther away.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.

THEY do! Turn on NARRATOR under Ease of Access! The phone will read everything on screen. It's off by default for obvious reasons...

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
THEY do! Turn on NARRATOR under Ease of Access! The phone will read everything on screen. It's off by default for obvious reasons...

I don't want it to read everything. I want it to specifically read the instructions that it gives me after telling me to take off my glasses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes