12-18-2015 07:43 AM
57 123
tools
    The first thing they do when training your 950XL is tell you to take your glasses off.

Then they proceed to give you text instructions on the screen! If I could read text on the screen, I wouldn't have glasses. The next time they aren't struggling with chewing gum and walking at the same time, can someone at MS tell the people responsible for Hello that the phone has text to speech built in!
    11-25-2015 07:58 PM
    Lol
    11-25-2015 08:29 PM
    I am near-sighted so taking off my glasses doesn't bother me. Windows Hello is working flawlessly with my glasses on.
    11-25-2015 09:01 PM
    Why not... read everything before taking your glasses off?
    11-25-2015 09:05 PM
    Ehh you don't have to take your glasses off when setting up windows hello. In fact it encourages you to provide alternate profiles, like you with glasses on and in different light settings.
    Last edited by offbeatbop; 11-26-2015 at 05:14 AM.
    rollindice likes this.
    11-25-2015 09:19 PM
    Why not... read everything before taking your glasses off?
    The instructions are thing like move your phone this way or head this way. They can't be read in advance. The phone doesn't even know what they are in advance.
    11-26-2015 06:37 AM
    Ehh you don't have to take your glasses off when setting up windows hello. In fact it encourages you to provide alternate profiles, like you with glasses on and in different light settings.
    If it DOES even do that, it doesn't do it until after you do it without your glasses. Of course anyone with half a brain would TRY doing it with glasses on before complaining.
    Ed Boland, ven07, rmeigs and 1 others like this.
    11-26-2015 06:40 AM
    I wear glasses and it worked for me, and I'm not the one complaining.
    rxc13, ven07, SunMan and 1 others like this.
    11-26-2015 07:47 AM
    Luckily I have contacts Set it up without my glasses originally. I take my contacts out at night and put on my glasses so I figured it'd be a good time to improve recognition, but to my surprise, it unlocked with my glasses on before I had a chance. Super impressed by that since reviews have been saying its terrible with glasses on. And I have a HIGH prescription. My contacts are -10/-9.5 (which is why I don't like to wear my coke bottle glasses The only issues I've had are more due lighting changes, but with enough runs to improve recognition, I feel like it won't be a problem.

Still on the fence in terms of keeping the 950XL for various reasons, but Windows Hello isn't one of them.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-26-2015 09:18 AM
    I am near-sighted so taking off my glasses doesn't bother me. Windows Hello is working flawlessly with my glasses on.
    I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

I agree with OP. I cannot fathom why they do not have voice prompts.
    11-26-2015 04:30 PM
    I'm thinking the engineers were too focused on their side job getting their new start up off the ground: Audible books for the deaf
    11-26-2015 04:43 PM
    I would like that when I pick up my phone iris scanner could start trying, instead of requiring me to press a button. Maybe if double tap to wake eventually appears I won't have the same opinion.
    11-26-2015 04:52 PM
    I'm thinking once Double-Tap comes, it'll help.
    11-26-2015 05:01 PM
    It's fine for me as a near-sighted person, lol. And it works great when I am wearing my glasses, so far just takes about less than a second to recognize me and unlocked the screen.
    11-26-2015 05:11 PM
    Make the profile with your glasses on :D
    11-26-2015 08:03 PM
    ROTFL. Sounds like a fraternity pledge challenge, eh HoosierDaddy? lol.
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
    11-26-2015 11:55 PM
    It's really not that damn serious. I took mine off and held it very close. I am blind as a freaking bat. No issue at all.
    11-27-2015 12:32 AM
    I've trained it under a few different lighting locations, even walking around in the same room, in the car, in the dark.
    It can now detect my eyes in pitch dark, though I have to hold it fairly close to my face in that particular situation.
    11-27-2015 12:49 AM
    As usual Microsoft not sweating the details like Apple.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-27-2015 12:50 AM
    I'm near sighted and taking off my glasses means I can't read the screen. I can't read anything further out than about six inches without my glasses.

Wow, I'm nearsighted and I can read everything easily at normal distance without my contacts or glasses. It's when I'm wearing them that I have a hard time reading things at a normal distance. You must be really nearsighted! :)
    11-27-2015 12:54 AM
    I was on my way home tonight in a dark car driving at night with driving glasses on and it read my eyes without a hitch. Stop being so dramatic.
    CrownSeven and rxc13 like this.
    11-27-2015 12:55 AM
    I just wish it worked with my glasses. I guess my prescription is too strong, because it never recognizes me with glasses, even after spending 10+ minutes holding it at different angles to get it through the improve recognition run.

Hello is practically useless to me because i wear glasses all the time, and i'm not going to spend the time to take them off every time i want to use the phone.
    11-27-2015 12:55 AM

That's my situation as well. My prescription is - 9.0 diopters, so I also wear high index plastic with rolled and polished edges.
    11-27-2015 01:01 AM
    Have you guys tried looking at the spot where the Hello-camera actually is (up top) ? Try that and just move it closer to your face until it unlocks. Should work no matter if you are wearing glasses, contacts or... Something else.
    11-27-2015 05:43 AM
    Make the profile with your glasses on :D
    It won't work. Tried that first thing, several times. It tries and tries then fails. From the image it shows on the screen I'm guessing its mostly from reflections off the glasses but I am just guessing.

This will turn out the like the situation with AT&T customers who can't get LTE unless they put their SIM in an AT&T branded phone (that supports LTE) first for provisioning - or - lie and call in that phone's IMEI.. Those XL owners are searching out other AT&T customers. I guess farsighted people need to seek out contact wearers that have similar prescriptions. Maybe the Microsoft store should create an app to help customers link up. LoL
    11-27-2015 05:52 AM
57 123