I got my phone today and had to go get a nano SIM because my 1020 used a micro. Unfortunately, that started a series of events that have me without any data or voicemail.
    I walked into the AT&T store in the lower level of Pacific Place in Seattle. This store is literally 2 blocks from a Microsoft building, by the way. I asked them to just transfer my SIM to a nano SIM. They refused. They said they HAD to register the device with the network. I told them the absolutely didn't, and that my current device settings would work just fine. Of course, they refused to issue the nano, so I had to let them update the IME on file. Well, that registered an 'unknown device' with the system which automatically removed my unlimited LTE (an old grandfathered plan from Microsoft). But not just that, it completely removed all data from the line. It also removed voicemail. I called the customer support line as literally nobody at the store knew how to fix it and kept telling me that the phone was unsupported. Then that the phone was sold by them and I couldn't have bought it at the Microsoft store. Then trying to upsell me to an iPhone. It was pathetic.

On the phone with support, they were unable to add my grandfathered data back and had to escalate the case to their 'backend support.' Additionally, I was told to update my IME again through the AT&T website. I tried that, but get an error that there is no hardware on my account.

So now, I have no data, no MMS, no voicemail, and no hope until after the holiday weekend. All because the idiots in the brick and mortar refuse to learn anything about anything but iPhone.

TL;DR: AT&T isn't exactly supporting the 950XL and are worthless when trying to do something as simple as a SIM swap.
    11-25-2015 08:51 PM
    they swapped mine no problem. They told me: "oh wow, I haven't seen the 640XL in white before." .........
    11-25-2015 10:52 PM
    Best way to convert a micro or standard sim to nano is with a pair of scissors.
    Allen Rhodes, etad putta and Cache like this.
    11-25-2015 11:04 PM
    I would strongly caution against doing that. I did that once before and it didn't work. Had to spend ten dollars on a new nano SIM when I had T-Mobile. Usually with AT&T, they can swap a SIM for free.
    11-25-2015 11:27 PM
    I did that with my sim once. Did it for my mom and my grandma too. Success all three times. You just have to be careful and know what your doing.
    Cache likes this.
    11-25-2015 11:28 PM
    Although if u can have it swapped for free, I'd do that just for the sake of not having a tacky looking sim :p
    11-25-2015 11:29 PM

Nano SIMs are also slightly thinner than micro and regular SIMs. If you cut it you'll probably need to sand down the thickness of it as well.
    11-25-2015 11:55 PM
    Lol, guys. I was just feeling that cutting your own seems a lot less risky than what the OP went thru. Plus, when the phone gets delivered at 7pm before a holiday, not many other options if I want to actually use the phone tomorrow.
    11-26-2015 12:08 AM
    No, and they won't know anything about it since they don't sell it. lol

I just go into the store, ask for a replacement SIM, and walk out. Then I go home and hop on the computer and chat with someone on the AT&T website and they simply punch in the new SIM and done. In fact I keep a couple backup SIMs just in case I need them.
    11-26-2015 12:21 AM
    A sim cutter is $5 on Amazon... We knew what the phone was going to take as far as a sim. $5 vs dealing with an hourly rep that is likely going to try and sell you an iPhone? I'll take cutting the sim. Unless you are at level toddler, cutting this with scissors isn't rocket surgery either.
    PepperdotNet likes this.
    11-26-2015 07:39 AM
    They don't sell it so why would they require their employees to know about it?
    11-26-2015 07:40 AM
    I'm convinced that store employees are instructed to claim ignorance of any device not currently on their shelves. Their job is to promote what they sell. As far as the SIM goes, I'm on T-Mobile and when I bought a Moto X Pure edition, My local store simply installed a nano in the phone for free.
    11-26-2015 09:50 AM
    As far as the SIM goes, I'm on T-Mobile and when I bought a Moto X Pure edition, My local store simply installed a nano in the phone for free.
    That's one thing about T-Mobile I love: their friendliness towards bring your own device. My wife has had issues with her Samsung Note and been dealing with a guy at T-Mobile. I was in the store with her and asked him how much a nano sim would be when I got my XL. He said bring it in, I'll get you one for free.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-26-2015 10:02 AM
    To those saying 'they don't sell it' ... they know nothing about Windows Phone at all is what I meant. They sell the 950 and don't know THAT phone either. I told them to set up the account as if it was a 950. Instead the rep deleted all hardware details entirely on my account, which deleted my data plan. I wish I could have just done a simple sim card swap, but they absolutely refused to let me do that. AND she shredded my new sim card's punchout when I was getting set up, so I now can't even get the sim serial without a magnifying glass and pulling it out of my phone (it doesn't seem to be available in settings anywhere).
    11-26-2015 10:54 AM
    Additionally, the pin layout on the Nano is NOT equal to the micro, so a cutter would actually cut into the contacts. I checked.
    11-26-2015 10:56 AM
    Additionally, the pin layout on the Nano is NOT equal to the micro, so a cutter would actually cut into the contacts. I checked.
    That's normal. I have a SIM cutter, and it always cuts off a bit of the metal contact. Doesn't matter; still works!
    Allen Rhodes likes this.
    11-26-2015 12:00 PM
    That's one thing about T-Mobile I love: their friendliness towards bring your own device. My wife has had issues with her Samsung Note and been dealing with a guy at T-Mobile. I was in the store with her and asked him how much a nano sim would be when I got my XL. He said bring it in, I'll get you one for free.
    Agreed. When I walked into T-Mobile yesterday they saw my MS bag and said "4th 950 in the last 30 minutes!" 3 Reps then came over, checked the phone out and gave me a free nano sim.

To the OP, sorry to hear about the SIM issues, hopefully ATT can trim your card down to a nano at a location tomorrow, I've had a few trimmed and they always work just fine.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-26-2015 12:39 PM
    @tgp You're a brave, beautiful person. I'll remember that. I may just go re-register my 1020 with ATT and then cut and swap.
    tgp likes this.
    11-26-2015 12:45 PM
    That's normal. I have a SIM cutter, and it always cuts off a bit of the metal contact. Doesn't matter; still works!
    yep, it'll still work.

some SIM cutters on eBay and Amazon even include sandpaper for thinning your card to nano proportions too. :)
    tgp likes this.
    11-26-2015 12:45 PM
    Agreed. When I walked into T-Mobile yesterday they saw my MS bag and said "4th 950 in the last 30 minutes!"
    Four 950's in 30 minutes? That's insane to me. Not doubting you or the T-Mobile reps, and it makes me happy as a long time WP user & supporter, but definitely surprising.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-26-2015 01:04 PM
    I am going to worry about my tomorrow's AT&T visit for the replacement nano sim.
    It's fine for me if they know nothing, but refusing to provide a replacement nano sim card is not acceptable.
    11-26-2015 02:37 PM
    they swapped mine no problem. They told me: "oh wow, I haven't seen the 640XL in white before." .........
    lmao
    libra89 likes this.
    11-26-2015 03:39 PM
    I walked in, told the guy I needed a nano sim for my new 950XL and he pulled one out, got my account info, scanned it and handed it to me. I put it in right then and there. I talked with him further how the current 640XL would not be on my network anymore and the 950XL would with my current number. No problem. Totally free. I have LTE and everything working. Just no VVM yet.
    11-26-2015 04:01 PM
    You just got a retard for an AT&T rep. They absolutely can reissue a new SIM in different size. People bring over unlocked devices to AT&T all the time.
    11-26-2015 04:01 PM
    they swapped mine no problem. They told me: "oh wow, i haven't seen the 640xl in white before." .........
    rofl

get rekt
    11-26-2015 04:08 PM