Question about amoled screen on my 950xl. Defect?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I am new to this screen as I had all ips before this. Only amoled was on my note phones.

When I scroll in all black menus with white words (ie in settings menu), as the even scrolls the text turns from white do a light shade of brown/gray. As soon as the scrolling sups, everything turns to crystal white again. Anyone seeing this?

Also, (best seen) on a white backgrounds, if I am looking directly at the screen at a prefect straight angle it looks brilliant white, but as soon as I tilt more than 5-10% up or down the white turns from brilliant white to a cold blue almost green. Thoughts?

Thanks guys. I don't think this is a defect per se that's why I didn't post this in defects forum. Let's not blow that forum up if we don't have to.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what causes this, but as you mention Note series.. Samsung kind of spoils you with their excellent screens. So I'm not sure if it's normal or that Note screens are just that awesome.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yes that blueish green thing happens with me as well but that is amoled for you even samsung has these issues and the new nexus 6p sometimes they are warmer and colder and mixed just check the other forums, I have had all of these phones well still do a bit of a phonejunkie myself , My blackberry PRiv does this, the nexus 6p, and my galaxy note 5 however the note 5 screen looks so good that you don't notice it all the time. daum that is a great panel they put on the note.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
yes that blueish green thing happens with me as well but that is amoled for you even samsung has these issues and the new nexus 6p sometimes they are warmer and colder and mixed just check the other forums, I have had all of these phones well still do a bit of a phonejunkie myself , My blackberry PRiv does this, the nexus 6p, and my galaxy note 5 however the note 5 screen looks so good that you don't notice it all the time. daum that is a great panel they put on the note.
Hehe, exactly.. :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When I scroll in all black menus with white words (ie in settings menu), as the even scrolls the text turns from white do a light shade of brown/gray. As soon as the scrolling sups, everything turns to crystal white again. Anyone seeing this?
I think this is due to the pixels taking a while to turn on and off. So when you scroll quickly there is an 'afterglow' in pixels that should have turned back to the background color, so that seems to blur the text. Similar, if you use e.g. red tiles on a white background, you'll see a colored section under the tiles when you scroll because it takes a while for the blue and green pixels to turn back on. At least that's what I think it is.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Same issue on the lumia 930. 5 months later I'm still not used to it. It's just... bad. When you read in a dim environment, you'll notice a drop in brightness each time you scroll through walls of texts. Simply annoying AF. Coming from a 920 it was a huge disappointment. There are also a few artefacts when pulling down the notification center or swiping from start screen and app list. Not everyone sees it though so it depends on your own tolerance to this issue. On a cheap phone I would accept it, on a flagship not so much.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Same issue on the lumia 930. 5 months later I'm still not used to it. It's just... bad. When you read in a dim environment, you'll notice a drop in brightness each time you scroll through walls of texts. Simply annoying AF. Coming from a 920 it was a huge disappointment. There are also a few artefacts when pulling down the notification center or swiping from start screen and app list. Not everyone sees it though so it depends on your own tolerance to this issue. On a cheap phone I would accept it, on a flagship not so much.

I agree that this should be a non-issue. Hoping that they didn't use a sub-par screen that will experience quick burn-in issues. Since I am giving up my iPhone 6s plus because I just can't get used to it, and I gave up on Google after years of being blindly data mined and spied on, and after I recently gave up on Blackberry because they pretty much EOL'd their BB10 OS, this is my only option left. I have a pc, we have a SP3 and an SP4 in the house as well, and I've got a band, so I am fully vested in MSFT now.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, when scrolling white text on black background, the text blurs and looks tinted, slightly dirty yellowish. It's pretty annoying. Common issue with AMOLED?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Spent the day with family taking photos. Again, 5 degree tilt in any direction and the screen turns cold bluish. This really sucks when reading, looking at web pages or when trying to take photos from an angle. Makes the color look completely off. I am going to drive to an ms store in the next few days to check their display units to see if they're experiencing similar issues or if mine is a defect.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Spent the day with family taking photos. Again, 5 degree tilt in any direction and the screen turns cold bluish. This really sucks when reading, looking at web pages or when trying to take photos from an angle. Makes the color look completely off. I am going to drive to an ms store in the next few days to check their display units to see if they're experiencing similar issues or if mine is a defect.

Same happens with my much older Icon... White text on black.. The text turns a cold light blue when the phone is tilted.. 5-10 degrees side to side... Running win 10 586. Auto brightness quit working for me in this build so "hopefully" its just a bug that will eventually be fixed in a future build.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify, there's two things going on here. First the 'smearing' or afterglow of the image when you scroll (not for static images). That's pretty much expected, at least I've see it on other AMOLED screens. Second is the color change when you tilt the phone, even with a static image showing. That's what's discussed in the thread I started. I sounds like some 950XL's might be relatively sensitive to angle. Looking at the poll results it doesn't seem like it's widespread.

From this thread it sounds like Charles Brown8 and Marcin Dabrowski are describing the tilt issue (so please vote), not the scrolling issue.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It's the same low quality oled technology used everywhere, nothing more, but hey everybody want a display with true blacks (not true) and excessive, unnatural colors (true), the only time Microsoft listens and delivers, but c'mon those panels are dead cheap. And watch out for white backgrounds, they'll destroy your batteries lol

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes I'm mainly talking about the 5 degree tilt whites turn blue. I'll go soon to check another phone and may end up exchanging this one for one without this issue.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
My 950 doesn't seem to have this issue. I'm viewing this thread in the new WC app that has a black background and white text for everything, I see no smearing or ghosting while scrolling. No color tint issue when viewed at any angle either.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Really seems to come down to if it's something you even notice or if it bothers you that's all. Full colour stuff looks awesome at least :)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
All sounds like common AMOLED characteristics. My Lumia 1020 had all these symptoms and I hated it. (Loved that camera though!) It eventually got image burn in on it. Kinda glad I dropped it and shattered the screen on that phone... upgraded to a 1520. The LCD screen on the 1520 was amazing! I say "was" because the 1520 is a couple years old now, and I've upgraded to something new. The OLED screens on the 950/950XL are ONE reason I've decided to pass on them and get something different. Hopefully the next gen Intel x86 based "Surface phones" have better screens.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
All sounds like common AMOLED characteristics. My Lumia 1020 had all these symptoms and I hated it. (Loved that camera though!) It eventually got image burn in on it. Kinda glad I dropped it and shattered the screen on that phone... upgraded to a 1520. The LCD screen on the 1520 was amazing! I say "was" because the 1520 is a couple years old now, and I've upgraded to something new. The OLED screens on the 950/950XL are ONE reason I've decided to pass on them and get something different. Hopefully the next gen Intel x86 based "Surface phones" have better screens.

Yeah I had image burn in on my 925 :cries: Anyway I prefer LCD screens now but I like how the colors look on LEDs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12