Lumia 950 xl default location for app install, device or SD card?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Got my 950 XL yesterday and am using a 64GB microSD card as well. There is a choice to install apps to the SD card or to the device itself. Is there an advantage to either of these options?

Thanks in advance.

anon(8007274)

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Don't understand your reply. Is there an advantage to installing in one place or the other? For instance, is performance of the apps better if installed on the device vs. on the SD card. OR does it not make any difference?

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Don't understand your reply. Is there an advantage to installing in one place or the other? For instance, is performance of the apps better if installed on the device vs. on the SD card. OR does it not make any difference?
You can use either SD card or phone memory to keep ur apps as the performance of the apps not depend on the location of its installed place. This is one of the biggest advantage of the Lumia. So feel free and enjoy

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Basically the internal memory is "better" because this is more "reliable". Because there is a large array of SD cards with different quality and read/write speeds you could run in "problems" The 950 XL has a large internal memory so you do not "need" to put them on a SD card but phones with less internal do not have a choice. But yes you can use both but if you do not need to use the SD card for apps do not use it.

There are even some apps which can not be installed on the SD card for above reasons.

anon(8007274)

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that clear explanation. I think I will switch back to installing apps on the phone itself. I will probably uninstall and reinstall some apps to get them switched over. Thanks. I will just keep my SD card for data. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3