07-04-2016 08:10 PM
284 ... 89101112
tools
    Mine is bad as well. It's been a week so I thought it would settle in.
    I have an hour + commute in the morning and listen to Audible. On my 928 I could do that, get a day's use out of it and listen again going home with battery power to spare. Now I get to the office and I'm already down to 60%.

Going to try draining the battery completely a few times instead of just letting it get really low.
    12-04-2015 02:33 PM
    My list of tweaks so far which has enabled me to easily get 16+ hours and still have 25+% left. Today it has been off charger for 8:45 minutes, had over 1 hour of talk time, used it to keep up to date on facebook, and used it during my workout to log weights and reps. I currently have 78% battery left.

Turn off Windows Hello and Hey Cortana
    Turn off Glance Screen
    Set all email accounts to update once per hour (I have 4 accounts)
    Unlike Skype messaging and the sms messaging client
    Screen auto brightness

I have lots of apps installed that do background updates: facebook, twitter, skype, instagram, messaging, email, news, tennisfreak (my own app :)), ebay, groupon, package tracker, etc.....

Not seeing any more issues battery life is great.
    12-04-2015 02:41 PM
    Preface: I never had a 1520, so I never experienced that battery life nirvana. My prior two phones were a 920 (terrible battery life) and a 635 (good battery life, but very underpowered phone).

So far, with one week using the 950xl, I am satisfied with the battery life. It will get me through a whole day without too much trouble. Yesterday, I emailed out about 30 gb of pictures via 7 emails to my daughter and it went down substantially. I thnk it was around 35-40% by 3:30. That kind of thing is to be expected. I had an event later that night that I wanted to be able to take pictures at, so I made sure to put it on the wireless charger for about an hour before I left. After the even, I was at 50%+.
    12-04-2015 02:46 PM
    would you mind giving us a quick list of all the apps you allow to have background processing?

Blocking Groove, seems to have solved my problem.
    12-04-2015 03:05 PM
    I'm having a 930 experience with my 950xl. There's no system process consuming power (like lockscreen/glance) it's just any app that I open be it, Tubecast, Mail, Readit etc... They all consume a cr#pload of power for no reason. I opened up Readit for maybe 5 min and then it ran away in the foreground and consumed 20% battery! There is a large battery in there. It's just that the power management seems to absolutely suck!
    12-04-2015 03:08 PM
    Light use today, 70% left after 11.5 hours.
    12-04-2015 05:14 PM
    Moderate use, 5hrs, 65% left
    12-04-2015 05:37 PM
    They say a lot of things during keynote which aren't necessarily true or don't turn out the way they should. I switched off glance and it did improve my battery life, am not sure why...got 31 hrs out of it, with glance enabled it was less than 15 hrs.
    You cant argue with that. Because it "technically" makes sense too. Its just led up pixels, it does not drain battery. So I am not sure what eats your battery but it isnt glance.
    12-05-2015 09:38 AM
    I feel like my battery does a bit better than before. But one thing that helps is just use your phone and stop checking the battery percentage every minute. I did so too, but now when I use it normal it can last a day before it kicks in battery saver (20%). Still wishes it was better, still feeling like my 930 did better anyways.

About glance, when enabled the proximity sensor is almost always on. I already figured it is on when the phone is unlocked (don't know why but you can see the tiny led in the right corner is lid) and when the phone is turned off it had to be on to check if it is in your pocket or not. It even is on when night mode is enabled for any reason.

Can't imagine the few pixels and the proximity sensor drains the battery and turning glance of didn't improve my battery usage significantly though.
    12-05-2015 11:05 AM
    I can stream a couple hours Groove, BT/WIFI on all day, light usage of Nextgen reader/Facebook/Edge for 1-2 hours and still have around 60-70% at the end of the day being off charge for 12 hours.

Pretty much on par with the previous 830 on 10. Maybe a bit better on the 950xl. As long as I can get through my day with the usage I do and have it not die or get below 20%, i'm ok. BTW, Hey Cortana and Hello is ON. Motion off.

I don't believe in disabling features to gain battery life. Not what I got the phone for. I'll disable all background apps except for those needing notifications to my Band 2 like, mail, messaging, weather. etc. Rest are off.
    Last edited by EMINENT 1; 12-05-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    12-05-2015 01:21 PM
    My battery is now at 91% after 5 hours of very light use. Read a couple emails and read some news articles. I have Groove and Motion data disabled in the background.

Also, as another user pointed out, constantly checking the battery uses up battery. That is why I don't normally have them.
    12-05-2015 01:24 PM
    I'm impressed with the battery life on mine. I'm only into my 2nd day and today it has been off the charger for 12 hours and it is currently sitting at 66% remaining. Hey Cortana and Hello is OFF. I have glance always on (wish they would bring glance background pictures back), 2 email accounts receiving emails when they arrive, Bluetooth is connected to my Band 2, WiFi is On. I'm still playing around and setting things up just the way I like things so its getting pretty heavy use. As long as I can last a full day without a top-up I will be happy, though I have a wireless charging plate from my old 1020 sitting on my desk so it wouldn't be a problem to give it a top up if needed.
    12-05-2015 03:34 PM
    My battery is now at 91% after 5 hours of very light use. Read a couple emails and read some news articles. I have Groove and Motion data disabled in the background.
    Turning Motion Data off seems to have made a big difference for me. I had it off charger about 16 hours yesterday and still had about 12 estimated hours left. That's with Hello still enabled.
    12-06-2015 01:12 PM
    Just unpacked mine 950 XL. White. Ordered a brown Mozo back cover. Followed this thread with mixed emotions the last couple of weeks. But I'm really gonna give this lovely phone a shot.
    Anyways...my first thought was to start with a factory reset. But will that change anything?
    What should you do?

/T
    12-07-2015 02:46 PM
    Just unpacked mine 950 XL. White. Ordered a brown Mozo back cover. Followed this thread with mixed emotions the last couple of weeks. But I'm really gonna give this lovely phone a shot.
    Anyways...my first thought was to start with a factory reset. But will that change anything?
    What should you do?

/T
    Secure your promotion code for the free dock before reset. I remember someone mentioned that after factory reset, the app was gone.
    12-07-2015 02:59 PM
    Secure your promotion code for the free dock before reset. I remember someone mentioned that after factory reset, the app was gone.
    Thank's, just doing that. :-)

Edit: Got the code but the store (Sweden) says "sold out"
    :-(
    Doing the hard (factory) reset now!
    12-07-2015 03:00 PM
    My 950XL is draining 13% an hour with very, very light use. 18% with video. Compared to this, my 1520 was doing 3-4% an hour with light use. This is getting absurd.

NFC, Bluetooth, Hello, disabled. Only 4 apps allowed in background. I have to recharge mine at least twice a day, but I only had it for 2 days now. So hopefully it will even out soon enough.
    SPS828 likes this.
    12-07-2015 03:03 PM
    I was a big apple fan until iPhone 4s and then I started using android from nexus 4 to nexus 6 I love android but now I decided to change to windows and I bought the Lumia 950 XL .i have to say the battery life is so bad .i don't install much applications on my phone still my batter from morning 8 am 100% to 4 pm 15% I just use texting and twitter and my brightness is 50% .i don't no what to do .any suggestion
    12-07-2015 08:12 PM
    I can't get mine to charge fully, I put it on the charger when I went to bed and woke up with 72% (charging for 6 hours)

3 hours later and it's telling me it's at 19% and 41 minutes to go. Running warm when it's in standbye and heats right up as soon as I try to use it.

Turning features of and blocking stuff in the back ground shouldn't be an option, the phone should be able to last a day with those features one.
    12-09-2015 06:48 PM
    Hey everyone - just wondering if your battery life improved on your 950 XL after the latest Windows 10 cumulative update a few days ago? :) So far only heard good news.
    12-09-2015 09:18 PM
    I've had my white 950xl (dual sim with only one in use) since Nov 27th as my daily driver. At first my battery life was lack luster at best. Barely made it through the day. Luckily I have wireless chargers everywhere. Off the charger at 7am and down to 80% by 9am. Battery saver (15%) by 3pm. I let it break in an settle down for a week but was very disappointed. I had reloaded from the backup from my 8.1 htc m8 (had about 30% charge by end of day for me)

I always have the phone connected to my band 2.
    Windows hello and hey cortana active.
    Auto brightness.
    Wifi off. skype sync on.
    3 email accounts 2 on hourly and 1 constantly updating.
    I'm a realtor so I live on the phone with calls, emails, and text. I listen to talk radio on iheartradio for 2-3 hours a day ether through a bluetooth speaker or the built in one.

Listening to people on the forum I decided to do a hard reset and reload from a new 950xl backup. Now battery life is great. Nothing else has changed. I even find myself playing with it more now that I'm not worried about battery life during the day. 100% at 7am. 80-70% by noon 50% around 4pm. 15% battery saver around 8:30pm. Gets me though the day and now that I have the wireless charging back it can stay topped off unlike the M8.
    12-09-2015 10:10 PM
    I've had my white 950xl (dual sim with only one in use) ...

Listening to people on the forum I decided to do a hard reset and reload from a new 950xl backup. Now battery life is great. Nothing else has changed. I even find myself playing with it more now that I'm not worried about battery life during the day. 100% at 7am. 80-70% by noon 50% around 4pm. 15% battery saver around 8:30pm. Gets me though the day and now that I have the wireless charging back it can stay topped off unlike the M8.
    So by this do you mean that you had your XL set up, back it up, hard reset it and then used the back up.

Or you just hard reset it and started from scratch <-- this what I am thinking of doing but I am worried that I'll loose my text messages.

I am draining like 25% in an hour and it's just not acceptable.
    12-09-2015 10:32 PM
    So by this do you mean that you had your XL set up, back it up, hard reset it and then used the back up.

Or you just hard reset it and started from scratch <-- this what I am thinking of doing but I am worried that I'll loose my text messages.

I am draining like 25% in an hour and it's just not acceptable.
    Yep that's exactly what I did. I let all the updates run for apps and the phone. I notice that hello seems to be more accurate a well now. No idea if that is related.
    12-09-2015 10:53 PM
    Sad to hear all the bad battery reports... Stock, this phone beats my 930 under similar usage (and that's with Windows Hello enabled). I should point out my usage is high on new features (Hey Cortana, Band 2 Bluetooth always connected), and I've enabled glance on the XL, but I keep the XL screen at 25% (though maddeningly it always resets to 50% after restart). Unlike the 930, a cellular data connection drains the battery faster than WiFi on the 950XL, which might be because I'm on LTE (my 930 only gets 3G here).

When I first got the XL I noticed the battery lost power during standby - I'd leave the phone in my pocket at 78%, and take it out an hour later to see 73%. Since the update to .29, the standby drain seems to be gone (it's only been a day so we'll see how it looks by this weekend), so I'd suggest everyone grab the .29 update.

But as everyone noticed, the biggest drain is the display, so the easiest thing to go after is screen brightness. And make sure you turn off the screen as soon as you're done with it.
    thaman04 likes this.
    12-09-2015 11:03 PM
    ...Since the update to .29, the standby drain seems to be gone (it's only been a day so we'll see how it looks by this weekend), so I'd suggest everyone grab the .29 update...
    That's awesome to hear!!!
    I was waiting for this update before deciding to buy this phone, hoping it would fix the initial battery issues people were having. Glad it did! Now I can go ahead buy it! (I'm still on an ancient but still amazing 920... and I'm sure the battery on the 950 XL is way better than what I'm currently getting on my 920 lol).
    12-10-2015 12:17 PM
284 ... 89101112