07-04-2016 08:10 PM
284 ... 45678 ...
tools
    My 950XL has been on since 11:30am (it is now 8:30pm) and it's at 85% and battery saver's estimated time remaining says 2 Days :)
    ArmandsFM likes this.
    11-30-2015 08:29 PM
    MIne seemed to run down fairly quickly the first day, but every day it is getting better. I easily got a full long day yesterday and put it back on the charger at 2:00am with about 40% left. TOday at almost 5pm (started at 6:30am), I am at 68%. It definitely does not last as long as my 640, but then my 640 did not have to drive such a large hi res display and run a quad core processor. So far I am happy. As others have said, give it a few days to break in.
    Actually the 640 has a quad-core, the 950 has a hexa-core and the 950 XL has an octa-core.
    11-30-2015 08:32 PM
    My battery was absolutely horrible for the first two days. It literally drained from near 100 to almost empty within only about 5 hours. Nonetheless, I read about the "breaking in" period on this thread and decided to wait it out for a bit before returning it. The battery is much better - not as great as my Lumia 640 before this, but much better and acceptable.

I have read a lot of negative reviews about battery life, if MSFT had some brains, they'd advise customers of this and other issues to expect and they would likely avoid much of the negative onslaught against the new phones that I've seen.
    my 640 on the insider program gets about 1.5 days same usage my 950XL gets half a day. I'm starting to think some are defective as some people are saying batter life is great.
    11-30-2015 09:17 PM
    Is there an app, like they have for iPhone, and I assume Android, that would allow one to rapidly drain, and then recharge the battery, to "condition" it? How far down should one wait to recharge in order to "condition" it without an app?
    11-30-2015 09:47 PM
    Off charger 7:30am (100%) and dead at 10pm (0%)..Light usage( no gaming, email checks, some edging.)

Hello and hey Cortana off.
    11-30-2015 10:45 PM
    Here is my battery during the night. A steady decline:

Attachment 117903
    That's what mine looks like.
    11-30-2015 10:59 PM
    Haven't fully charged my battery yet >_>. Charged to about 60% and used it to 20, then charged to 30% and have been using it since around 6pm. I'm at 9% 4 hours later. So far so good, I'd say. Better than my 925 battery life, so I'm happy.
    11-30-2015 11:04 PM
    Off charger 7:30am (100%) and dead at 10pm (0%)..Light usage( no gaming, email checks, some edging.)

Hello and hey Cortana off.
    As stated, let my phone go to 0%, dead.
    Plugged it back into the charger and after it had enough juice to turn itself on I immediately checked and it was already at 22% in the span of a few minutes.

Here's what's interesting, since day one 11/25, the phone runs quite warm during charging. Its at 40% and cool as a cucumber.
    I'm starting to think something is off and not "inline" as mentioned in this thread. Letting it die allows the phone to learn what zero is or something like that. Will see what happens on the next run.

Update 1: The cool charge was due to using an old Samsung (1A output) charger, once I plugged it into the charger that came with the phone (surely a QC 2.0) the phone became warm near the bottom. Warm as a bagel. The battery app confirms that the Samsung charging rate was 30% and charger from the box is 61%.
    Last edited by Akira X; 11-30-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    11-30-2015 11:24 PM
    I wasn't initially happy with the battery life but after I disabled glance, it improved a lot...today I took the phone off charge at 9:00 am, now it's about 1:00 am and the battery is at 51%. Installed some apps, used Hello quite a bit, browsed for a while and sent some texts and emails.
    12-01-2015 12:56 AM
    I wasn't initially happy with the battery life but after I disabled glance, it improved a lot...today I took the phone off charge at 9:00 am, now it's about 1:00 am and the battery is at 51%. Installed some apps, used Hello quite a bit, browsed for a while and sent some texts and emails.
    Still not as good as it was on my 930 (of charger at 8:45 and should have left 70% max with minor usage). Will test today on my 950XL again without glance and disabled WiFi sense too. Made the change on my 930 too the first months I had it on W8.1.
    12-01-2015 02:50 AM
    Wow this thread made me completely rethink about getting these phone's. I really want the XL and wil probably get it
    but this is shocking from MS
    Captpt and H_Alex like this.
    12-01-2015 05:24 AM

As stated, let my phone go to 0%, dead.
    Plugged it back into the charger and after it had enough juice to turn itself on I immediately checked and it was already at 22% in the span of a few minutes.

Here's what's interesting, since day one 11/25, the phone runs quite warm during charging. Its at 40% and cool as a cucumber.
    I'm starting to think something is off and not "inline" as mentioned in this thread. Letting it die allows the phone to learn what zero is or something like that. Will see what happens on the next run.

Update 1: The cool charge was due to using an old Samsung (1A output) charger, once I plugged it into the charger that came with the phone (surely a QC 2.0) the phone became warm near the bottom. Warm as a bagel. The battery app confirms that the Samsung charging rate was 30% and charger from the box is 61%.
    Update 2: Since allowing the battery to go to 0%, battery life appears to have improved. Since taking it off the charger over 4 hours ago with very light use, battery is at 93%. I also turned Windows Hello back on after removing from charge.

Previously, the battery lost 10% per hour and the battery app showed any from 4-8% discharging rate (just sitting idle). Now its showing less than 2%.

Check out the slopes before and after.
    wp_ss_20151201_0001.jpg
    12-01-2015 05:26 AM
    What app is that?
    12-01-2015 08:03 AM
    Ok, as an engineer I thought I would come in on this thread and hopefully shed some light on the situation. Li batteries are gauged using a small IC, typically over I2C, that uses a small current sense resistor and also keeps track of temperature. As the battery discharges, the IC tracks this and matches it to a curve that it stores in memory on the IC. The curve that the IC comes with is likely preprogramed by the manufacturer to match the typical curve of the battery in question. Once in use the IC can change the curve based on the discharge and recharge that the phone goes through. The percentage of battery power left is only as accurate as this charge curve in this IC's EEPROM. The temperature is also used to tweak this, so if the phone is in the heat, the power left should be lower.

As such, the best way to get a more accurate reading on the battery is for the user to fully discharge the battery, or at least get close, to allow the IC to time the curve and get the most accurate measure. Once this has been done, and doing this S couple of times will increase the accuracy, you should see better battery life.

Keep in mind some of the myths about battery charging should be ignored. 1) The battery IC will indicate the battery is at 0%, when properly calibrated, at something closer to 40-60% (essentially when the cell is down to 2.5V). 2) You can't overcharge your battery. The IC charge circuitry will slow charging to a trickle at around 98-99% and then charge into the 100% charge area until the current no longer drops, then it will cut off charging completely until the percentage drops enough it the charging cable is unplugged and plugged back in. Z this is why I leave my phone on the charger overnight and have never suffered from premature battery aging. The battery also isn't charged to 100% of its capacity, as the circuitry tries to keep the phone in the golden zone to maximize battery life.

Hope this helps.
    12-01-2015 08:24 AM
    glance literally eats 0 % battery, They said it at keynote also.
    12-01-2015 08:28 AM
    My 950 battery is just ok. The 1520 battery life was amazing, however, I feel like it is an outlier.
    12-01-2015 08:36 AM
    Mine was so bad, it was one of the dozen reasons I returned it (see also: build quality, stability, screen color issues, heat issues, mobile hotspot issues, Bluetooth issues, etc..) ... and I had it for five days, and I did the whole "pray and your battery will get better if you kill it and charge it 10 times" deal some people believe in (that never ever works) ... the battery on the 950XL is pathetic for its rated 3320MaH.

Microsoft is in for a LOT of returns if the forums are to believed. I have not seen one positive trending post on the phone. And while people are more apt to ***** about a problem then praise a solution, this phone goes well beyond that.

Sticking with the 1520 w/ Win 10 til spring at least; 24+ hours battery, nice looking huge screen, great camera. And stable.
    12-01-2015 08:53 AM
    3 hours since taking it off the charger, 82% battery left with moderate use. Battery says I have an estimated 1 day and 5 hours of battery left. We'll see how accurate that is.
    12-01-2015 08:57 AM
    I read that Windows hello may be the culprit.

Mine is doing terrible. I got it wednesday and let it restore all my settings, messages, etc. Charged it overnight to 100%. Unplugged it at about 9 am Yesterday and by noon I was critical. Even tried enabling Battery Saver at around 50%. Considering doing a hard reset as 4-5 hours of battery life with very little usage seems wrong even for a new phone.
    12-01-2015 09:03 AM
    I read that Windows hello may be the culprit.
    I've got Hello enabled and am sitting at 80% after 3.5 hours. This is with Wifi off and my Band paired.
    12-01-2015 09:19 AM
    Very good battery life for me.

With:

• Cortana On
    • Hey Cortana OFF
    • Bluetooth OFF
    • Glance Screen On
    • Push Outlook Mail
    • 100% Max Brightness
    • Whatsapp/SMS+Skype+Video On and Push
    • Windows Hello On
    • Most of Backgrounds App left enabled
    • Moderate-Heavy daily usage (Playing music, shooting photos, browsing with Edge, messaging, sending Mail, receiving Push Notifications, 30+ minutes calling)

My 950 XL lasts full day, from 7:00 am to Midnight, with approximately 10-15% battery left.
    Pretty amazing considering the configuration and usage above.
    My 920, with same usage, always died around 5pm
    Last edited by Paolo Cardelli; 12-01-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    12-01-2015 11:25 AM
    Good battery life for me.

Easily getting 16-18 hours with 20% left as I put it on the charger.

Trick for me was disabling Windows Hello, Hey Cortana, and glance screen (actually I've never used glance screen even on my 1520).
    12-01-2015 11:30 AM
    3 hours since taking it off the charger, 82% battery left with moderate use. Battery says I have an estimated 1 day and 5 hours of battery left. We'll see how accurate that is.
    Are you me? I'm at exactly 82% as well right now, 3h taking it off the charger. :)
    12-01-2015 11:30 AM
    http://i.imgur.com/Mtk3A0N.jpg

Phone came off the charger at 10:45 AM. Was at 11% at 12:37 AM the next day.

terrible battery life. Here's mine:

a__0b79.jpg

Look how many times I had to plug it in, and the rates of charge / discharge. Bad stuff.

Seriously, check what apps you have running in the background.
    12-01-2015 11:34 AM
    I am not convinced with the battery life so far either. Specially at the rate at which is drains the battery in idle mode compared to other phones/platforms. OS definitely needs a performance update.
    12-01-2015 11:39 AM
284 ... 45678 ...